Where do you put Curry/Durant all time if they continue at current rate 3-4 more years?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Re: Where do you put Curry/Durant all time if they continue at current rate 3-4 more years? 

Post#221 » by stilldropin20 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 am

if steph wins 3 MVP's and 6-7 championship as a 1-1a and 2-3 finals MVP's he automatically goes into top 6-7 all time minimally. likely top 5. and in my personal top 3. same for durant.

the GSW haven't just won titles. they have beaten teams that would win a championship in any other year. those miami, and SAS teams would win championships in 95% of any other season. and last years cavs team would win 80% of any other year.

GSW are a goat team. doing goat things. and therefore if they do some all time goat things like 5-6 rings then they must have all time goat players.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Re: Where do you put Curry/Durant all time if they continue at current rate 3-4 more years? 

Post#223 » by michaelm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:Within the rules, the second best player in the NBA joined the 2 points away from the title team who had won the year before. Sure Durant is one of the best to ever do it, but there has never been such a high level talent add to pretty much the most talented team in the league.

They're both incredible players, but Durant going to GSW is still crazy to me.

Lebron went to Miami with Bosh and that was bad, sure, but Durant going to GSW is almost like adding Durant to that same Heat team.

Obviously you are entirely entitled to not like him going to GSW as much as you want, but you don't like him going there because he is so good, which rather defeats the rest of your argument which seems to be he can't be rated highly because he went to GSW. I don't see that the assessment of his character by you or others, with which I disagree anyway, has much to do with the quality of his play, which was finals MVP level most recently, and against LeBron at that.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#224 » by Steelo Green » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

michaelm wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:Within the rules, the second best player in the NBA joined the 2 points away from the title team who had won the year before. Sure Durant is one of the best to ever do it, but there has never been such a high level talent add to pretty much the most talented team in the league.

Lebron went to Miami with Bosh and that was bad, sure, but Durant going to GSW is almost like adding Durant to that same Heat team.

Obviously you are entirely entitled to not like him going to GSW as much as you want, but you don't like him going there because he is so good, which rather defeats the rest of your argument which seems to be he can't be rated highly because he went to GSW. I don't see that the assessment of his character by you or others, with which I disagree anyway, has much to do with the quality of his play, which was finals MVP level most recently, and against LeBron at that.

He can be rated highly, I even said he was one of the best to do it, but his rings will have less value to me because of the team he joined and the level of talent they already had.

The best team in basketball save for 2 points added the second best player in basketball, and potentially if Draymond doesn't get suspended the title winning team would be adding the second best player in basketball.

How people defend that and think that doesn't tarnish the value of his GSW rings beats me. What he did is unprecedented.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#225 » by michaelm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:
michaelm wrote:

He can be rated highly, I even said he was one of the best to do it, but his rings will have less value to me because of the team he joined and the level of talent they already had.

The best team in basketball save for 2 points added the second best player in basketball, and potentially if Draymond doesn't get suspended the title winning team would be adding the second best player in basketball.

How people defend that and think that doesn't tarnish the value of his GSW rings beats me. What he did is unprecedented.

A little hard simultaneously both for him to be the most highly rated player to have made such a move and for the move to be unprecedented I would have thought. This is the era of the superteam, Garnett and Allen did it, LeBron and Bosh did it, LeBron (again) and Love did it, LMA and the Spurs tried to do it, in the latter instance a move by a player rated close to top 10 at the time after one intervening season to a team which had beaten his previous team in a WCF on the way to a title. Circumstances were somewhat different for each individual player as perforce is almost always the case in human endeavor, one of those differences however being that none of the players other than Durant iirc had sustained a career threatening injury which had caused him to miss most of a recent season.

What may eventually prove to be unprecedented is the success of Durant's move, but I am sure all the other players I listed also made their moves with every intention of winning as many titles as possible, LeBron being completely explicit about this intention at the time of his first move.

9 years at a franchise, most of them with Russell Westbrook, is imo a sufficient trial on Durant's part as to whether Westbrook is the best fit for him as a PG, including whether in his judgement they were a title-winning duo. When somebody takes away the title which LeBron won against a 23 year old Durant with his initial superteam I might take arguments about Durant's FMVP inclusive title being tarnished more seriously; as I recall most talk about the 2012 title at the time and in years subsequent was of Durant being bested by LeBron. I also don't see why a player more than half-way through his career who has had a career threatening injury is obliged to go to a team with similar coaching, management or roster issues to those which may have prompted him to leave OKC, or located somewhere else where he does not want to live, when a situation exists for him next to the perfect point guard for his game in a system perfect for him to fulfill his stated ambition to improve himself as a player, and particularly as a team player, to which he can move entirely within the rules of the NBA as a free agent, undiscounted and without even putting his new team into the luxury tax for the first year as it transpired.

One thing I will say is that he couldn't reasonably expect the OKC fanbase to be happy about the move, and that he should have owned said move from the get go more than he did.

Return to The General Board