Where would a prime Tim Duncan rank today?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Re: Where would a prime Tim Duncan rank today? 

Post#141 » by rasta_marley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:52 am

infintybeyond wrote:
rasta_marley wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:I don't think he would be effective. Today's game relies on floor spacing and shooting. Duncan has neither of those. His ball handling is also weak. The rules have changed too to take away iso post ups. Duncan is too much of a post up iso player who can't shoot 3s. That way of scoring isn't really efficient anymore. 3>2.

He wouldn't be able to keep up with today's style of play as it's too fast for him. He can't guard any of today's super athletic evolutionary bigs like Draymond and KD. I think he's more of a center today so I have him below wherever Demarcus Cousins is ranked. He is probably closer to Deandre than DMC as he's a weak shooter and ball handler. The game has evolved too much, superior players and superior athletes. Duncan sucks just like prime Kobe and prime MJ.

Every year people would say the spurs are done this year they are too old, every year the spurs would be right back at the top. Duncan was very very good and while the spurs certainly had some other good players Duncan was the reason the spurs were always a great team.

A player at Duncans level would do just fine today, imagine him on a team like the Rockets, they pretty much only take 3 pointers and close twos, usually in the key. With the Rockets 3 point shooting they would create soo much space for Timmy to operate, and he was frankly not guardable one vs one on the block particularly if he had a little room. The guy was very very skilled.

The Rockets would probably beat the Warriors if they added an unshelfish player like Timmy (I say probably because while on paper timmy, harden, Chris Paul is very op you never know until they play together how they will mesh). He would feast on Golden State, and if ya try and tell me Draymond green is going to stop him or severely limit him... lol no.

Anyway he would for sure be the 3rd best player in the league without me even thinking about it, possibly 2nd or even 1st buut maybe not I would have to watch how the season unfolded.

Anyway my point is that I think he would do very well in this era (which he played in some of just fine lol).

Also uuuh have you ever watched Timmy handle the ball? He actually wasn't a bad ball handler.... and was a good passer.

And ya I would hate to have Prime Michael Jordan on the blazers in this era I mean god that guy would suck soo bad in this era I mean **** man how could he handle dribbling the ball when you have Evolutionary bigs like draymond green dribbling circles around him. I mean how could MJ hold a candle to Draymond green?

lol

My whole post was a joke. The last sentence should have made that clear.

I'm just echoing the crap I read in the MJ and Kobe threads. People actually believe GOAT level players like MJ, Duncan, Kobe would have to adjust their games to succeed in today's league. These guys are supremely skilled and commanded double teams. You can't double today because of all the shooters on the floor. All 3 would feast on their match ups. All 3 have lead teams to championships with less talent than Lebron's squads.

Back on topic. Nobody today would be able to stop a PRIME Duncan. They haven't seen anything close to that combination of skill level, size, and toughness.

oh I thought you were being serious haha I mean we have people here who would really make comments like that seriously. Well alright!
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,512

Post#142 » by azcatz11 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:59 am

spicy6 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
spicy6 wrote:
You actually believe duncan over Kobe? lol

Duncan is #5 & Kobe is #11 in the latest Top 100 on the Player Comparisons board.

Theyre all opinions, if you want to believe that duncan is better than Kobe, Bird, Magic and Shaq be my guest.

I would really encourage you to go and read the posts on why Duncan is slotted in that #5 spot. You will hopefully learn something :D
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#143 » by Young_Star11 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 am

A better version of Anthony Davis who is ranked #6 by ESPN. I'd be inclined to go higher, still, but would leave it for you all to debate further.
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#144 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:16 am

Battling with LeBron for #1 player in the NBA. I swear it feels like most of this forum hasnt seen a single NBA game before 2011. A prime tim duncan on a good a team like the bucks would probably push GSW to 6-7.
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#145 » by spicy6 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:20 am

azcatz11 wrote:
spicy6 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Duncan is #5 & Kobe is #11 in the latest Top 100 on the Player Comparisons board.

Theyre all opinions, if you want to believe that duncan is better than Kobe, Bird, Magic and Shaq be my guest.

I would really encourage you to go and read the posts on why Duncan is slotted in that #5 spot. You will hopefully learn something :D

I did and if they believe that duncan is better than those 4 so be it. It was based on " total career value and accomplishment" which Kobe had more off than duncan. Nevertheless I learn by actually watching the games, learned enough to have seen Kobe been dominant for a longer stretch than duncan, making more all nba first teams, beating duncan in 2002,2004, 2008 especially, and dont get me started on the sweep in 2001. Il just go with that

Again I think Duncan is a top 10 player also, and would be a the second or third best player in the game if he played currently in his prime right now, so no hate.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#146 » by Slim Charlez » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 am

ooptolebron wrote:1. LBJ
2. KD
3. KL
4. AD
5. Giannis
6. Duncan
7. WB

Giannis over Timmy is the dumbest thing I've heard
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#147 » by Fico92 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:54 am

spicy6 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
spicy6 wrote:

I did and if they believe that duncan is better than those 4 so be it. It was based on " total career value and accomplishment" which Kobe had more off than duncan. Nevertheless I learn by actually watching the games, learned enough to have seen Kobe been dominant for a longer stretch than duncan, making more all nba first teams, beating duncan in 2002,2004, 2008 especially, and dont get me started on the sweep in 2001. Il just go with that

Again I think Duncan is a top 10 player also, and would be a the second or third best player in the game if he played currently in his prime right now, so no hate.

"Don't get me started on the sweep in '01"...uh you mean when two top 10 players were in their prime? Don't get me started on how Duncan, as the only all star on his team, ended your shot at a 4-peat...
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#148 » by spicy6 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 am

Fico92 wrote:
spicy6 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

"Don't get me started on the sweep in '01"...uh you mean when two top 10 players were in their prime? Don't get me started on how Duncan, as the only all star on his team, ended your shot at a 4-peat...

Do you realize how hard it is to repeat let alone 3 peat? It was Kobe and Shaq, that was it, people also dont understand how intricate and difficult it was to play in the triangle compared to duncan with a proper system allocated for a great fit of role players around him. and "when two top 10 players were in their prime?" That better be a double standard to how great lebron is compared to the warriors 4 all stars then and i recall you saying they had 4 of the top 7 players in the game right now so I cant take your argument seriously.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#149 » by Fico92 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 am

spicy6 wrote:
Fico92 wrote:
spicy6 wrote:

Do you realize how hard it is to repeat let alone 3 peat? It was Kobe and Shaq, that was it, people also dont understand how intricate and difficult it was to play in the triangle compared to duncan with a proper system allocated for a great fit of role players around him. and "when two top 10 players were in their prime?" That better be a double standard to how great lebron is compared to the warriors 4 all stars then and i recall you saying they had 4 of the top 7 players in the game right now so I cant take your argument seriously.

4 of the top 7 players in a hypothetical "lebron westbrook pg" Lakers vs Warriors scenario...not 4 of top 7 in NBA....NOBODY would ever claim that, not even the most homer of homer GS fans.
Lawyershawn
Senior
And1: 1,316

Post#150 » by Lawyershawn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:08 am

This forum is ridiculous.

Duncan (and Kobe from the other thread) is a top 10 of all-time player.

Curry/KD are Kevin Garnett tiers, not Duncan/Kobe tiers.
Lower Cases & Capitals
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#151 » by karkinos » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 am

fileman3 wrote:The general consensus in the Kobe thread seems to be top 2-5.

Would a prime Duncan be the best player in the league? I may take him over a past prime LeBron

t2 next to lebron
if it's prime duncan, prime kobe, and bron, it would just be those 3 in tier 1.
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#152 » by alexb618 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:26 am

its pretty obvious who just started watching basketball a few years ago
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#153 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 am

Best player in the league and don't even talk about "the league has changed". People who just say 3>2 don't understand how huge advantage versatile post bigman can give a team with good shooters and cutters. It's not scoring, but creation from the post which makes players like Duncan so valuable. Not to mention rebounding and defense - he would be the best defender in the league, clearly.
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Post#154 » by rebirthoftheM » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 am

Best player in the league (if Lebron plays like he did in Miami, I'd take him though). Prime Duncan's style of play allowed everyone to flourish around him in a way that presented a perfect medium between dependence and independence. He made dudes truly better IMO, and that is what required in an anchoring #1 if you want to win titles.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#155 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:16 am

Factoring in a little Lebron decline this year....At this stage Duncan probably best regular season player in the league to have play on a talented team at least. Could go either way between him and Lebron in the post season.

No one else really in the conversation.

I think Duncan's offense was that great when you factor in everything including additional turnovers when passing him the ball/floor spacing/et cetera but it was very good. But his defense at his peak was much better than Draymond Green/Leonard.....it was kind of criminal that the guy didn't get a DPOY award.

I think people don't appreciate what dominate defense can really do especially when that player (Duncan) doesn't have a major weakness on defense. If Duncan at his best had to cover a Kevin Love beyond the arc, he could do so with ease. Didn't really matter since teams would have to put a real big on the court to guard Duncan since if you put a small ball 4/5 on him, his very good offense turns into flat out dominant offense.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#156 » by KingFox » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

2. KD
3. KL
4. AD
5. Giannis
6. Duncan
7. WB

Lmfao @ Giannis, AD and Kawhi being on Duncan's level

Are you guys serious in here
Riko
Rookie
And1: 688

Post#157 » by Riko » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:15 am

Best player in the league by wide margin.
Three years ago he was one of the most effective player of the league despite plays on one leg...
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#158 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am

#1 easily
damn i miss him
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,896

Post#159 » by Agimat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

BigCuz wrote:
2. KD
3. KL
4. AD
5. Giannis
6. Duncan
7. WB

Lmfao @ Giannis, AD and Kawhi being on Duncan's level

Are you guys serious in here

Heck even KD wtf! He didn't even show up in the finals Westbrook did. Duncan was a championship material you can count on him at all times and Duncan very rarely made mistakes, always played smart and made the right plays.
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 465

Post#160 » by 2LeTTeRS » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:48 am

I think he'd be among the hardest players to rank in the league. He would be extremely efficient on offense but would not put up the gaudy numbers that we see from Harden or Westbrook. On D he would be among the top 5 anchors in the league.

If he ended up in a bad situation with knuckleheads and me first guys around him; and didnt win titles early in his career I could definitely see him being underrated. In any other scenario I see him winning early and being properly rated as a top 3 player in the league.

Return to The General Board