Plumlee re signs 3/41

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Re: Plumlee re signs 3/41 

Post#21 » by Masterfully » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Bertrob wrote:
Masterfully wrote:Nurk was NOT going to accept a backup role. Nurk is also going to cost a lot more when he resigns. The trade makes perfect sense, except for the pick.

I really happy for Plumlee. He's very underrated. I wonder how HE will handle being a backup. Word was he wanted out of Brooklyn because he was tired of being Lopez's backup.

Then the trade doesn't make sense lol. Denver fans keep repeating that Nurk was a cancer etc. but the fact remains that they coulda dropped him for a 2nd at the least but they gave up a first lol. Thats the whole trade right there

Well lol I think the reason lol that Denver didn't just dump Nurk lol is because they wanted a lol backup for Jokic lol. I think they saw/see value in Plumlee that you don't lol.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,585

Post#22 » by nomansland » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Nurk had to go, and at the time the Nuggets didn't really need that pick. Too many young players who already weren't getting minutes. Still should have kept the pick and they really compounded the problem with that stupid trade with Utah. But hindsight is 20/20.

I think this is an overpay. If he plays like he did in Portland it'll be more justifiable but if he plays like he did in Denver I'm going to hate this deal.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#23 » by kenwood3333 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm

If you look at what other backup centers are signed for this season, Plumlee's contract inline with the market.

Christiano Felicio - 4 years $32 million
Kelly Olynyk - 4 years $48 million
Mason Plumlee - 3 years $41 million
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#24 » by wjun15 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Damn, the player he was traded for (Nurkic) will probably get a Max contract. crazy.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,585

Post#25 » by nomansland » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 pm

wjun15 wrote:Damn, the player he was traded for (Nurkic) will probably get a Max contract. crazy.

In that sense the deal was smart for Denver. They would have had to let Nurkic go anyway. So they get a player who is a legit backup for half the money. Better fit overall.

I just wish they'd kept that pick.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#26 » by Effigy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:34 pm

I wonder if the overpay for Plumlee was in part to spare them the embarrassment of having him walk for nothing. That would have made an already bad trade look even worse.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#27 » by Manimal » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:45 pm

12footrim wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:I must be the only one that actually thinks it's a pretty good deal for the Nuggets, especially considering what other mid-tier big men have been getting the past couple years. It's only for three years, isn't so bad.

In a vacuum, sure. It's not terrible, but on this team with a superstar center prospect that needs to play as much as he can and a max PF where is his value to them really. It's even debatable if he and Jokic work together at all, certainly not ideal so if they can't play together he really should only be getting about 12 minutes a game.

Especially when the Nuggets have multiple solid PF's and even small ball 4's depth. Also in this market centers weren't getting paid at all that's what shocking that they gave up that much to get him then overpaid on top of it. He just doesn't make much sense.

The reason the Nuggets like Plumlee so much is because he is a player of similar style to Jokic. The problem the Nuggets had early last year was they were playing completely different styles of offense from when Jokic was on the floor to when he was off it. Having another center who can pass and keep the same offensive flow going when Jokic is on the bench is a huge plus. And beyond that, he's just a good backup center overall (career 18 PER) with his energy and shot blocking.

It might be a slight overpay given the situation, but it's also much better than the 17-20 million a lot of people had projected earlier in this year. It's pretty fair market value in my eyes. And while they didn't HAVE to pay him, as his only other realistic option was to accept the QO, I'm sure they preferred to get him locked up for multiple years. A three year contract (and hopefully a team option year 3) is great fit into Denver's payroll and lines up nicely with other contracts they have on the roster. Helps retain a lot of flexibility and should be a net positive asset over the duration of the deal.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Okay player but not even close to being worth it. Why even do that? It's not like GMs were lining up to get this guy signed. I don't get it.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#29 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 pm

I don't have a huge problem with this contract if he was resigning with the Blazers, but in Denver he's a one position backup to the teams best player and they were basically bidding against themselves in a glutted Center market. Seems like a poor allocation of funds by the Nuggets
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,473

Post#30 » by Wigginstime » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 pm

With Millsap at the Max and Jokic expected to get the max next year, you have to assume this means Faried is gone sometime this year. This puts Plumlee and Faried both making around $13M this year. Too much money tied up to keep both Faried and Plumlee with Jokic and Millsap maxed out next year.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,308

Post#31 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:If you look at what other backup centers are signed for this season, Plumlee's contract inline with the market.

All 3 of those guys got overpaid this offseason. But if you compare Mason to his brother Miles 4 year $50M contract he's a steal.

I just don't get this. Who were the Nuggets bidding against? For all the solid moves the Nuggets make, the Nurkic trade and this contract are backwards steps. You turned a trade asset into a $14M/year role player.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#32 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Effigy wrote:I wonder if the overpay for Plumlee was in part to spare them the embarrassment of having him walk for nothing. That would have made an already bad trade look even worse.

Yup, front offices do that stuff all the time. So dumb.

Having said that, he was a RFA. Worst case, he takes the QO and walks. No big deal.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#33 » by Prez » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 pm

I could maybe see it on another team but this makes zero sense for a team whose franchise superstar is a center, and has another all-star at PF.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#34 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Manimal wrote:
12footrim wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:I must be the only one that actually thinks it's a pretty good deal for the Nuggets, especially considering what other mid-tier big men have been getting the past couple years. It's only for three years, isn't so bad.

In a vacuum, sure. It's not terrible, but on this team with a superstar center prospect that needs to play as much as he can and a max PF where is his value to them really. It's even debatable if he and Jokic work together at all, certainly not ideal so if they can't play together he really should only be getting about 12 minutes a game.

Especially when the Nuggets have multiple solid PF's and even small ball 4's depth. Also in this market centers weren't getting paid at all that's what shocking that they gave up that much to get him then overpaid on top of it. He just doesn't make much sense.

The reason the Nuggets like Plumlee so much is because he is a player of similar style to Jokic. The problem the Nuggets had early last year was they were playing completely different styles of offense from when Jokic was on the floor to when he was off it. Having another center who can pass and keep the same offensive flow going when Jokic is on the bench is a huge plus. And beyond that, he's just a good backup center overall (career 18 PER) with his energy and shot blocking.

It might be a slight overpay given the situation, but it's also much better than the 17-20 million a lot of people had projected earlier in this year. It's pretty fair market value in my eyes. And while they didn't HAVE to pay him, as his only other realistic option was to accept the QO, I'm sure they preferred to get him locked up for multiple years. A three year contract (and hopefully a team option year 3) is great fit into Denver's payroll and lines up nicely with other contracts they have on the roster. Helps retain a lot of flexibility and should be a net positive asset over the duration of the deal.

Just because Plumlee can pass doesn't mean the offense will be able to run similarly to when Jokic was out there. That line of thinking doesn't hold up at all.

And Plumlee is immediately negative value on that deal. Middling C's just not have value in the NBA right now unless they're super cheap.

Plumlee for 1 year at the QO >>>> Plumlee for 3 year and $41M.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#35 » by PDX MM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote: and had to send out a first rounder in a trade.

That isn't true in that Denver had to send out the first in order to trade Nurkic. We bought that pick for 3 million or whatever the price was. It was just done in the same trade that swapped Plumlee and Nurkic. As for the signing I am ok with it.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,009

Post#36 » by vxmike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Really dumb move. $14M/year to play 15 minutes as Jokic's backup? They should have filled that with a $3m/year cheap rim protector/rebounder. Who were they bidding against? Off him three years $27M and call it a day if you think he's a piece going forward. Just because the dumb Bulls paid $8m/year for a backup Center doesn't mean that's the market rate.

They have to pay Harris and Barton next summer then Jokic the summer of 2019.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,261

Post#37 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 pm

PDX MM wrote:

That isn't true in that Denver had to send out the first in order to trade Nurkic. We bought that pick for 3 million or whatever the price was. It was just done in the same trade that swapped Plumlee and Nurkic. As for the signing I am ok with it.

sure but imagine giving up the better player/asset/prospect and giving away a 1st round pick!
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#38 » by PDX MM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
PDX MM wrote:

sure but imagine giving up the better player/asset/prospect and giving away a 1st round pick!

Yeah I wouldn't be good with a cheap owner so in that we are lucky to have one of the richest dudes on the planet as an owner. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that it required a 1st in order to trade Nurkic.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#39 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Effigy wrote:I wonder if the overpay for Plumlee was in part to spare them the embarrassment of having him walk for nothing. That would have made an already bad trade look even worse.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#40 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Hayesy wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:If you look at what other backup centers are signed for this season, Plumlee's contract inline with the market.

All 3 of those guys got overpaid this offseason. But if you compare Mason to his brother Miles 4 year $50M contract he's a steal.

If they only play 15 mpg, Plumlee and Olynyk are overpaid. But in general for their talents, relative to their peers, they were not overpaid.

Return to The General Board