Plumlee re signs 3/41

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Re: Plumlee re signs 3/41 

Post#41 » by Scalabrine » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
QLaz wrote:I wish I was 6-10,, no skill or minimum skill, avg like 7 pts 4 reb 1.3 blk. I would be rich. sign me up 4 year 60 million or just give me a Mozgov contract

feel like you haven't seen him play if you think Plumlee has no skill. Was averaging 11ppg 8rpg 4apg(!) 1.2 blocks in under 30mpg. I do think this is an overpay based on market and the fact that Denver has too many bigs who need minutes at the 4 and 5. It also sucks that Denver gave up the superior player (Nurkic) and had to send out a first rounder in a trade. But Plumlee is a smart and impactful player, albeit one with glaring holes in his game (bad shooter, bad rim-protector). I just think it's basic of fans to make statements like this one.

I dont get the too many bigs part. Plumlee is their 3rd best big after Sap and Jokic, you dont just let him walk because you have lesser guys that also "need minutes". Let them all fight it out for minutes and hopefully you can move one of them for another point guard.

At the very least it's a tradable contract for a younger useful bigman.

Jokic/Plumlee/Arthur
Milsap/Faried/Lyles
Chandler/Hernangomez/Childress
Harris/Barton/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay/Nelson

Love that team and I hope that one of Murray or Mudiay can develop into an all-star level point guard to pair with Jokic. There strength is depth, which isn't that beneficial in the playoffs but I can definitely see that team getting to 50 wins this year if they stay healthy.
Go Knicks!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#42 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 pm

vxmike wrote:Really dumb move. $14M/year to play 15 minutes as Jokic's backup? They should have filled that with a $3m/year cheap rim protector/rebounder. Who were they bidding against? Off him three years $27M and call it a day if you think he's a piece going forward. Just because the dumb Bulls paid $8m/year for a backup Center doesn't mean that's the market rate.

They have to pay Harris and Barton next summer then Jokic the summer of 2019.

You think they'll let Jokic become a UFA? I think they make him restricted in 2018.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Acountant_Z
Junior
And1: 169

Post#43 » by Acountant_Z » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

We don't yet know what this deal really looks like, is 3rd-year team option? Still, it is an overpay.
As far as Jokic goes, can you imagine Nuggets not making him an RFA and giving him the max? You'd have at least half the teams begging him to sign for them for a max. Jokic in the East, All-Star by default. Boston, NY, Milwaukee, nice destinations.
Can he decline max to become UFA?
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#44 » by RightToCensor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Plumlee has gotten owned by Boogie in the past when guarding him 1 on 1, but he's a serviceable center that can do the basics and is an above average passer. I like him at 3/$30M more.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#45 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I think it's a good contract. Plumlee is a good backup.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#46 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:28 am

Fascinating discussions from people that don't understand anything about the Nuggets.
1) Reports are that all 3 years are guaranteed - no options either way.
2) Plumlee is the Nuggets only true backup center. Their next choice is 6'8" to 6'9" depending on which PF you choose. With Jokic being so young, keeping Plumlee around for 3 years (while looking for another young center), makes a lot of sense.
3) Jokic & Plumlee did play fairly well together last year.
4) The Nuggets did not have to go over the salary cap to sign Plumlee; but it's close, depending on how it is structured and they will have to go over the salary cap to extend Harris this year.
5) Plumlee can't play center the way Jokic does, but then, can any other current center? Plumlee is about the best facsimile of Jokic that is available.
6) Many Nuggets fans think it's an over-pay but if they'd signed him for $8m instead of $14m, we're only talking $6m per year and in the NBA, that's chump change. For the rest of us, that's a life time's earnings (in our dreams), but what do we care? Our owner spends that much just for fuel for his yacht. :nod:
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#47 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 am

NuggetsWY wrote:6) Many Nuggets fans think it's an over-pay but if they'd signed him for $8m instead of $14m, we're only talking $6m per year and in the NBA, that's chump change. For the rest of us, that's a life time's earnings (in our dreams), but what do we care? Our owner spends that much just for fuel for his yacht. :nod:

So you're saying it's an overpay :D

What I have learned the hard way as a Bucks fan is that overpays (especially when there are more than one) are not just about if we can afford them for the duration of the contract. Its more about being stuck with an unmovable contract, and then before you know it people start entertaining discussions about: giving up valuable assets like draft picks to have it moved, taking on other unmovable contracts or bad players (or both) to have it moved, stretching it to kingdom come and ending up with a near permanent cap reduction, giving up on potential favourable deals because of the cap situation, playing unmovable crappy players they wouldn't play otherwise just to convince the league they still have value, and generally making all sorts of crappy decisions.

Granted, the people entertaining those discussions are usually fans and not necessarily those people who actually make the decisions. And they usually amount to nothing.
But, it's a torture anyway. You'll see.
miula
Junior
And1: 213

Post#48 » by miula » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 am

Willie Reed only gets minimum deal...and he is better than Plumlee...
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#49 » by GimmeDat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

The trade never made sense in the first place, mainly because they'd have to do this to justify it. It's not an ideal use of cap space.
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#50 » by udfa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am

I think Plumlee is a good backup center and a nice player to be able to bring off your bench, but I still don't like the signing unless it's revealed that the third year is a team option or has an ETO. They might have had some serious cap space that summer but $14M tied up with Plumlee is going to cut into that a lot. It might cost them a chance to add a max contract free agent to a team that already has Jokic. That seems like an unacceptable potential consequence for signing merely a good backup center when you already have one of the best centers in the league.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#51 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 am

Way too much
Raptors til death
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#52 » by pootbrah » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 am

If he was never traded from Portland his market would be a lot higher. A lot higher. This is a bargain
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#53 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am

Scalabrine wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
QLaz wrote:I wish I was 6-10,, no skill or minimum skill, avg like 7 pts 4 reb 1.3 blk. I would be rich. sign me up 4 year 60 million or just give me a Mozgov contract

feel like you haven't seen him play if you think Plumlee has no skill. Was averaging 11ppg 8rpg 4apg(!) 1.2 blocks in under 30mpg. I do think this is an overpay based on market and the fact that Denver has too many bigs who need minutes at the 4 and 5. It also sucks that Denver gave up the superior player (Nurkic) and had to send out a first rounder in a trade. But Plumlee is a smart and impactful player, albeit one with glaring holes in his game (bad shooter, bad rim-protector). I just think it's basic of fans to make statements like this one.

I dont get the too many bigs part. Plumlee is their 3rd best big after Sap and Jokic, you dont just let him walk because you have lesser guys that also "need minutes". Let them all fight it out for minutes and hopefully you can move one of them for another point guard.

Jokic/Plumlee/Arthur
Milsap/Faried/Lyles
Harris/Barton/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay/Nelson

Love that team and I hope that one of Murray or Mudiay can develop into an all-star level point guard to pair with Jokic. There strength is depth, which isn't that beneficial in the playoffs but I can definitely see that team getting to 50 wins this year if they stay healthy.

Plumlee isn't better than Faried.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,362

Post#54 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
QLaz wrote:

Except no one is in the market for bigs. so while maybe this thought makes sense 2-3 years ago, you'd be very hard pressed to getting anything approaching equal value in a big for small swap. I think Denver has some younger bigs with more potential than Plumlee: Lyles and Juancho who will have a hard time cracking the rotation this year. A lack of minutes does create tension, ask Orlando how having too many rotation level bigs went for them last year.... Guys who can only play 4-5 and aren't great shooters or rim protectors aren't really trade assets at the moment. I didn't say I had a problem with this signing, I like to see RFA's not get jerked around, but if your a Denver fan the frontcourt logjam is something to keep an eye on. 4 guys who want minutes off the bench at the 4 or 5 (Faried, Lyles, Arthur, Lyndon) behind 2 all-star guys who should get big minutes only at the 4-5, and then guys like Wilson Chandler who generally does well at the 4.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#55 » by Scalabrine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:

Jokic/Plumlee/Arthur
Milsap/Faried/Lyles
Harris/Barton/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay/Nelson

You don't think so? I'll take your word for it, your a pretty solid poster (and a Nuggets fan).

I wasn't trying to imply that Faried was bad, I just think that Plumlee has a more functional skillset for the Nuggets. His +passing also allows them to operate a similar offense when Jokic isn't on the floor too, which to me is very valuable. Look at the Cavs for example, their entire offense is based around LeBron and they really struggle when he's not on the court because the offense changes and everyone takes on a different role for the 12-14 minutes he's not playing. I also think that having another bigman is important for them, Faried and Arthur are both really small ball 5's.

From a non-Nuggets fan perspective, when all players are healthy, I think minute distribution will shake out something like this:

Jokic(28)/Plumlee(20)
Milsap(31)/Faried(14)/Jokic(3)
Chandler(32)/Barton(10)/Hernangomez(6)
Harris(34)/Barton(14)
Murray(26)/Mudiay(16)/Nelson(6)

You may see Murray slide to the 2, Chandler play some 4, Faried and Sap play some 5 depending on matchups. Maybe Mudiay or Nelson are completely out of the rotation, Hernangomez might not get much run either and Arthur will probably see the court too. Thats an 11 man rotation that could easily be cut down to 9 at full strength.

Is that way off?
Go Knicks!
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#56 » by HollowEarth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

This seems a bit much for Plumlee. And I don't think he's even a solid backup center on a contending team since he lacks shooting and rim protection.

Maybe Denver can trade him for someone like Nurkic. Nurkic is such a superior defender though, that Portland might want Denver to throw in a first round pick.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#57 » by Alatan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Jokic/Plumlee/Arthur
Milsap/Faried/Lyles
Harris/Barton/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay/Nelson

You don't think so? I'll take your word for it, your a pretty solid poster (and a Nuggets fan).

I wasn't trying to imply that Faried was bad, I just think that Plumlee has a more functional skillset for the Nuggets. His +passing also allows them to operate a similar offense when Jokic isn't on the floor too, which to me is very valuable. Look at the Cavs for example, their entire offense is based around LeBron and they really struggle when he's not on the court because the offense changes and everyone takes on a different role for the 12-14 minutes he's not playing. I also think that having another bigman is important for them, Faried and Arthur are both really small ball 5's.

From a non-Nuggets fan perspective, when all players are healthy, I think minute distribution will shake out something like this:

Jokic(28)/Plumlee(20)
Milsap(31)/Faried(14)/Jokic(3)
Chandler(32)/Barton(10)/Hernangomez(6)
Harris(34)/Barton(14)
Murray(26)/Mudiay(16)/Nelson(6)

You may see Murray slide to the 2, Chandler play some 4, Faried and Sap play some 5 depending on matchups. Maybe Mudiay or Nelson are completely out of the rotation, Hernangomez might not get much run either and Arthur will probably see the court too. Thats an 11 man rotation that could easily be cut down to 9 at full strength.

Is that way off?

Jokic should get more than 28 minutes at center and no minutes at PF since there are a ton of PFs and the lineup with Jokic at pf didnt work... Plumlee is a ok player but he is nowhere near capable playing Jokic's role. Jokic is a threat from everywhere on the floor and that opens the whole floor for his genius passing, Plumplee is a good passer but you dont need to guard him anywhere except near the basket. That being said 14 mil a year is a big overpay for a backup and considering the market for centers is terrible we wont be able to move him without giving something in return.
Barton is too small to play meaningful minutes at SF and Hernangomez will get them probably. Id like if Murray would get more minutes at PG but he is still young so we will see how he does. Mudiay was terrible last year and i dont know will he even crack the rotation.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#58 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 pm

never sign a contract that you can't move
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,766

Post#59 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm

If they don't resign him, they pretty much admit the trade was a disaster. So what do they do? No win situation for my boy Karnisovas.
Acountant_Z
Junior
And1: 169

Post#60 » by Acountant_Z » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 pm

UcanUwill wrote:If they don't resign him, they pretty much admit the trade was a disaster. So what do they do? No win situation for my boy Karnisovas.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't think this was a good deal for Nuggets.

Return to The General Board