Plumlee re signs 3/41

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Re: Plumlee re signs 3/41 

Post#61 » by Scalabrine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

UcanUwill wrote:If they don't resign him, they pretty much admit the trade was a disaster. So what do they do? No win situation for my boy Karnisovas.

Overpaying him makes the trade not a disaster?
Go Knicks!
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,765

Post#62 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:If they don't resign him, they pretty much admit the trade was a disaster. So what do they do? No win situation for my boy Karnisovas.

Not saying that. I am just saying they are not admitting it, committing instead.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#63 » by Scalabrine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Not saying that. I am just saying they are not admitting it, committing instead.

Fair enough.

I also gotta say I like this move better then the Heat giving Olynyk a 4/48. 3 years really isn't that bad, I would have probably let him go into FA next year as a UFA and gone from there, but it's a good idea to have another Center on the roster that isn't Arthur or Faried (who are really the size of 4's).

This is about an 8-8.5 million dollar yearly deal on the old cap, I really don't think people would complain about that...

I am fully in favor or along with the yearly terms being listed, I would like to see percentage of cap being used as well. It gives you a much better sense of the contract and helps you compare it to deals that happened with the old cap.
Go Knicks!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#64 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
I dont get the too many bigs part. Plumlee is their 3rd best big after Sap and Jokic, you dont just let him walk because you have lesser guys that also "need minutes". Let them all fight it out for minutes and hopefully you can move one of them for another point guard.

At the very least it's a tradable contract for a younger useful bigman.

Jokic/Plumlee/Arthur
Milsap/Faried/Lyles
Chandler/Hernangomez/Childress
Harris/Barton/Beasley
Murray/Mudiay/Nelson

Love that team and I hope that one of Murray or Mudiay can develop into an all-star level point guard to pair with Jokic. There strength is depth, which isn't that beneficial in the playoffs but I can definitely see that team getting to 50 wins this year if they stay healthy.

Plumlee isn't better than Faried.

You don't think so? I'll take your word for it, your a pretty solid poster (and a Nuggets fan).

I wasn't trying to imply that Faried was bad, I just think that Plumlee has a more functional skillset for the Nuggets. His +passing also allows them to operate a similar offense when Jokic isn't on the floor too, which to me is very valuable. Look at the Cavs for example, their entire offense is based around LeBron and they really struggle when he's not on the court because the offense changes and everyone takes on a different role for the 12-14 minutes he's not playing. I also think that having another bigman is important for them, Faried and Arthur are both really small ball 5's.

From a non-Nuggets fan perspective, when all players are healthy, I think minute distribution will shake out something like this:

Jokic(28)/Plumlee(20)
Milsap(31)/Faried(14)/Jokic(3)
Chandler(32)/Barton(10)/Hernangomez(6)
Harris(34)/Barton(14)
Murray(26)/Mudiay(16)/Nelson(6)

You may see Murray slide to the 2, Chandler play some 4, Faried and Sap play some 5 depending on matchups. Maybe Mudiay or Nelson are completely out of the rotation, Hernangomez might not get much run either and Arthur will probably see the court too. Thats an 11 man rotation that could easily be cut down to 9 at full strength.

Is that way off?

If Malone goes into the season with an 11 man rotation he deserves to be fired on the spot, it kills the team with constant rotations and only a couple real defined roles.

While Faried passes far less (that is not nor has it ever been his role) I have seen him make as many good passes as Plumlee. For all the hype that Plumlee's passing gets he is just good for a big man nothing special and it is arguable if he is even close to a top 10 passing big man in the league today. Jokic is a better passer than many of the starting PGs around the league. Asking Plumlee or any other big man to even try to play the same role as Jokic is a waste of time and just tells me that they have not watched much of Jokic. The fact is Faried and Jokic was the Nuggets best 2 man pairing last year, Plumlee and Jokic was the worst big man pairing on the roster at the end of the season, and I doubt that is going to be better next year. Malone seems to learn slow but he does learn and watching the Nuggets last year it was obvious how effective Jokic and Faried were together, and it was obvious how much Plumlee and anything outside of a spread 4 did not work with our offense. Plumlee if used more than 16-18 minutes per game is going to be a negative, and his contract was dumb as hell considering the facts, and it would not surprise me if he doesn't even get that as Malone likes to go small and I can easily see a 3 big rotation of Faried with Millsap and Jokic being the most effective.

Also it is highly doubtful that Jokic will be playing any PF and the fact is even asking your franchise player to play out of position for a low quality starter/ good backup is just dumb.

I doubt Harris gets 34 mpg, he will likely get closer to 30, if Nelson is getting any minutes than Mudiay needs to be traded as it is a waste of everybody's time, and Murray will probably slide to SG for a few minutes with Mudiay, they went with that 3 guard rotation the last 10 games of the season and it was highly effective. Fact is we have too many guards and none of them outside of Harris and Murray are likely to get anywhere over 25 mpg, and Barton really needs to be traded for more of a SF as he does not have the size to play regular minutes at SF nor is he comfortable playing off the ball. We still have Beasley in the wings who looked pretty good at the end of the year in the Dleague and the last couple of games for the Nuggets.

I seriously doubt that Juancho only gets 6 mpg, he earned 6 mpg after the all star game despite being stuck behind Gallo/ Chandler/ Mike Miller at SF and Faried/ Gallo/ Chandler/ Arthur/ Plumlee/ at PF. I doubt changing out Gallo for Millsap will continue to limit his minutes that extensively.

Arthur is not likely to get more than occasional spot minutes due to injury, he has a really bad knee and struggled on defense last year, Hernangomez was better at defense and is a comparable shooter.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#65 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:22 am

Yuck. Big misstep from Denver. Who the heck was offering anywhere near this much??

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#66 » by Scalabrine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm

miula wrote:Willie Reed only gets minimum deal...and he is better than Plumlee...

very few people think that...
Go Knicks!
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#67 » by OptionZero » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 pm

These are the kind of moves that limit a team's ceiling and make me doubt whether a front office has any clue what it's doing.

DEN made a pretty good move adding Millsap and then utterly failed at building the rest of their roster.

Who is their starting PG? Either a second-year converted SG, a bust of a third-year player, or old-ass Jameer Nelson?

Who's their best wing defender? Gary Harris? Wilson Chandler?

Why do you need:
Kenneth Faried
Tyler Lyndon
Darrell Arthur
Trey Lyles

. . . WHEN YOU GOT PAUL MILLSAP? None of those guys can play either center or SF, so . . . ? And to make it worse, one of your top prospects is Juancho, who is also a PF! This isn't a PF league, this is a WING league!

During the draft, they had DONOVAN MITCHELL, who would be an awesome fit with a massive wingspan and big defensive upside, not to mention 3P potential, and traded him down for those PF's.

Now you're committing $13M/year to a BACKUP CENTER, with zero positional versatility, can't shoot, can't finish, not an impact defender, best skill is passing thats negated when teams stop guarding him? WHEN YOUR BEST PLAYER IS ALSO A CENTER?! Jokic needs to play 35 minutes a game, so at BEST, Plumlee can give you 13 minutes? And Millsap should also be playing some C as well?

Colossal failure by this front office. They very clearly:
1) Refused to acknowledge the failure of the Nurkic trade and wanted to masturbate themselves for getting a crappy center
2) Did not understand the current market for centers

I mean, if you're dumb enough to spend $13M on BACKUP CENTER, there are teams that will GIVE you a center. The Nuggets could probably have gotten Robin Lopez or Nikola Vucevic from rebuilding teams AND a draft pick.

Dewayne Dedmon got $7M a year and he's lightyears more useful than Plumlee. hed' be a perfect fit because he can actually defend.

Hell, Portland will PAY Denver to take Ed Davis just for luxury tax savings

This is why there's no problem with the current CBA or the draft or any of that systematic crap

The problem is STUPID **** TEAMS doing STUPID THINGS. Can't legislate ****.
no dice
Rookie
And1: 731

Post#68 » by no dice » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 am

He is the best plumlees out there. His game is exciting and unorthodox and can take it to the next level with the fast pace the nuggets play in
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#69 » by Bertrob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 am

no dice wrote:He is the best plumlees out there. His game is exciting and unorthodox and can take it to the next level with the fast pace the nuggets play in

lol cause the other plumlees are absolute trash.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#70 » by 3Diamantidis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

Good times to be a plumlee.
Ble$$ed family.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#71 » by OptionZero » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm

The worst part is that Stan Kroenke is one of the richest owners - his family owners f'kin Walmart, if i recall correctly

Yet he NEVER pays the luxury tax and cheaps out on his front office.

He owns multiple sports franchises! Dude ain't strapped for cash!

But DEN, through their stupidity, will need to attach a 1st rounder to move this deal at some point, because Jokic and Harris will get PAID.

If Arthur and Chandler opt-in, they will truly be f-ked.

Teams like this can't really afford to blow a contract decision, they need to max out every opportunity and walk away from bad ones.

CLE could be justified overpaying a bench guy when it was in the title picture; GSW obviously is ok overpaying Iguodala because there are rings involved.

Rising teams with cheap owners? can't

Return to The General Board