Kyrie: "If you're very much woke, there is no such thing as distractions."

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

maisenza13
Junior
And1: 65

Re: Kyrie: "If you're very much woke, there is no such thing as distractions." 

Post#141 » by maisenza13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm

It's better if he focuses on the field, i know NBA is a show even outside from the field, he can't afford to do both.
maisenza13
Junior
And1: 65

Post#142 » by maisenza13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 pm

If I was him first I'd make the field speaks about me, then i van also use my energies for the media
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#143 » by G35 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:imagine that, cavs fans don't like Kyrie, shocker.

This is kind of where I'm trending. Society/media/insecure fans ask players to speak (for what reason I do not know) and tell them what they are thinking about. Who cares? I don't care what athletes think about. I only care about how they perform on the court. People complaining about Kyrie saying flat earth and being woke is....unsurprising with the level of importance we place on creating news everyday.

All that matters is if Kyrie can ball....I don't know why people take what athletes/actors/politicians say as gospel......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Seabass11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#144 » by Seabass11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Seabass11 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:I don't want to derail too much but, the basis of cultural appropriation has little to do with maintaining the purity of a culture and everything to do with economics. There's a loong history in the United States of majority groups exploiting disenfranchised minority groups for financial gain. This goes way back, with the notable example obviously being Elvis Presley who was promoted as the face of Rock and Roll music which was , at the time an artform lifted from African-American musicians. The record labels felt that Elvis' brand would be more marketable to white America. Elvis becomes an international superstar, and meanwhile the artists communities from whom the music actually originated remained disenfranchised.

There's always been a healthy skepticism from minorities whenever outside groups are promoting or adopting their culture. In the early days of hip hop music and DJing, a lot of the artists actually didn't want hip hop to go mainstream. They were hoping to just keep it as a fun lifestyle within their local communities. Many of them got roped into bad record deals and ended up being exploited by labels.

When people talk about "staying woke" that term was originally a call for people to be aware of how many institutions in society are engineered to divide and exploit its people (particularly on the basis of race & class), and encouraged the development of a network of people and knowledge sources you can trust. The term itself has been oversaturated through social media and used by people - esp young people - who never bother to think about what the message actually means.

Nowadays social media encourages exposure to different aspects of society and culture people may not be familiar with, which I think is a good thing. But it also tends to make light of topics that have a lot more depth and breadth to them than simply some meme or hashtag.

So, because a white man was good at something a black man invented, and thus marketed in such a way, this is an example of cultural appropriation? Baseball, basketball and football were all invented by white men, yet are dominated by minorities. Is this also an example of cultural appropriation?

Edit: I realize my comment can be seen as snarky. Not meant as such. I have zero knowledge of social/cultural terms like this and am really just trying to understand.

Basketball and football aren't dominated by minorities . In fact, the majority of the people in positions of power in those industries, and controlling who takes the greatest share of the profits (comissiomers, owners, GMs, coaches) are white.

"Cultural appropriation" implies that there's an exploitation of the culture of a minority group by a majority group , in a way that isn't respectful or thoughtful. To me an example of this is Cinco De Mayo - not the holiday itself, bur the fact that you often have many Americans who have no connection to Mexico but they see the holiday as an opportunity to get drunk, wear sombreros and generally make a caricature of Mexican culture in an ignorant fashion.

I'm not saying no one should partake in other cultures, but the idea of cultural appropriation is about being careful not to exploit other cultures or take them out of context in a way that is disrespectful.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the issue of "cultural appropriation" with the Elvis situation is that a white person took a piece of black culture and turned it into something that could be marketed to white folks? I honestly fail to see an issue here...welcome to America. That's like saying white person shouldn't be allowed to open a sushi restaurant. Why the h*** not? If they can make awesome sushi that sells to people of different cultures, who cares who owns the place and is "benefiting" off it.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#145 » by chrismikayla » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Chinook wrote:
chrismikayla wrote:" awake"

No, just like "She be like" isn't "She is". Assuming a non-standard conjugation of a word is a sign of someone not knowing the standard form is as incorrect as it is condescending.

Relax it was just a joke.
[gfycat][/gfycat]
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#146 » by Pharmcat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 pm

will cain destroyed kyrie today on first take.

FT is the best debate show on
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Post#147 » by rebirthoftheM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Pharmcat wrote:will cain destroyed kyrie today on first take.

FT is the best debate show on

Agree FT is best one out, but Will is all show. I feel like he feigns outrage the most, even outstripping SAS these days. I agree and disagree with what he says. Kyrie was defs obfuscating and I got annoyed listening to him. He also was not making sense at times and this hurt my mind. He could have elaborated better without trashing Lebron IMO.

On the flip side, SAS makes a correct point that just as media folk have their own agenda/want to get hot-takes, so too was Kyrie tryna push his own message. I feel like this is a owner/player situation hypocrisy, where owners are allowed to deal players all the time but lord have mercy if a player choses his own destiny. Kyrie was attempting to do (though I think it was a weak attempt) to push his own narrative. It's not like he didn't get them anything... he did say many things that could be used as sound bites. Much ado about nothing.

As for Max... he has been trashing Kyrie all day, and has never made a sustained criticism of Lebron at all. Everything Lebron does to Max is gold. So why wouldn't Kyrie be condescending him, when Max speaks of Kyrie like this infantile child, in-need of parenting by Lebron? IMO Kyrie was reserved with respect to Max.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#148 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Seabass11 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Seabass11 wrote:So, because a white man was good at something a black man invented, and thus marketed in such a way, this is an example of cultural appropriation? Baseball, basketball and football were all invented by white men, yet are dominated by minorities. Is this also an example of cultural appropriation?

Edit: I realize my comment can be seen as snarky. Not meant as such. I have zero knowledge of social/cultural terms like this and am really just trying to understand.

Basketball and football aren't dominated by minorities . In fact, the majority of the people in positions of power in those industries, and controlling who takes the greatest share of the profits (comissiomers, owners, GMs, coaches) are white.

"Cultural appropriation" implies that there's an exploitation of the culture of a minority group by a majority group , in a way that isn't respectful or thoughtful. To me an example of this is Cinco De Mayo - not the holiday itself, bur the fact that you often have many Americans who have no connection to Mexico but they see the holiday as an opportunity to get drunk, wear sombreros and generally make a caricature of Mexican culture in an ignorant fashion.

I'm not saying no one should partake in other cultures, but the idea of cultural appropriation is about being careful not to exploit other cultures or take them out of context in a way that is disrespectful.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the issue of "cultural appropriation" with the Elvis situation is that a white person took a piece of black culture and turned it into something that could be marketed to white folks? I honestly fail to see an issue here...welcome to America. That's like saying white person shouldn't be allowed to open a sushi restaurant. Why the h*** not? If they can make awesome sushi that sells to people of different cultures, who cares who owns the place and is "benefiting" off it.

Now I don't want to rope Elvis into this directly.. Elvis himself was genuine and respectful to everyone regardless of race. He was known to be open about crediting the African-American artists who influenced his music and would regularly mix in non-segregated environments.

But Elvis was an exception at that time to the rule. At that time, the music industry was set up to prevent non-white artists from profiting off of their own music. Record labels lifted rock & roll music + dance from African-American musicians and then white musicians proceeded to perform said music in venues that black artists were permitted from performing in, and their music was played on radio stations that excluded black artists.

Another example would be the Washington football team or Cleveland baseball team's use of offensive name and mascot. When you think about the history of Native Americans in this country from the 1600s leading up to the present day, the appropriation of that imagery is offensive to a lot of people. Personally I am not one to claim "cultural appropriation" left and right, I think we're in the social media era that turns everything into an oversaturated buzzword. But as society strives to becomes more open with the exchange of culture and ideas, there are certain contexts where those issues will continue to come up.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Re: RE: Re: Kyrie: "If you're very much woke, there is no such thing as distractions." 

Post#149 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:07 am

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
Soulcatcher33 wrote:
Frozzy wrote:Go on, why's that?

It's a stupid word obnoxious millennials use.

Stay woke don't be salty AF or throw shade he thirsty better clap back make sure it's savage and lit.

I'm 28 and think it's all stupid.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#150 » by JordansBulls » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 am

Soulcatcher33 wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Kyrie to Lebron.

Except Lebron would be Ivan Drago and Kyrie would be Apollo Creed.

Actually vice versa. As Lebron is the former champion as the man and Kyrie the up and coming guy. :D
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,382

Post#151 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 am

Bertrob wrote:"I'm not going to tirade anyone in particular...".

Kyrie doesn't even know what words mean and how to use them yet wants to sound smarter

Yeah...watching the first take interview left me more confused that anything with some of his responses.

Some of the things he said and language he used made absolutely no sense and a lot of what he was saying completely contradicted what he said one or two questions before.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,338

Post#152 » by TOStateofMind » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:54 am

Kyrie is embarrassing himself. No idea why he even agreed to go on that show.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#153 » by Jedi32 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am

jbk1234 wrote:Wake me up when he's woke enough to pass the ball or play defense.

So 6 dimes a game while playing with lebron isn't good?
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#154 » by afarmenian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 am

Jedi32 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Wake me up when he's woke enough to pass the ball or play defense.

Uhh no 5ish dimes a game while being only of 2 playmakers on the team with the other being one of the best finishers ever isnt good. Its at best mediocre.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#155 » by Pennebaker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am

ugh.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#156 » by Pennebaker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 am

Jedi32 wrote:

That's his career average (5.5). It's fine but it's not special. Think about it - he's the PG but he led the team in shot attempts, not assists. And even though he led the team in shot attempts he was not the team's leading scorer. He has issues.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#157 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am

Green89 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Green89 wrote:The season hasn't even started yet and Celtics topics are already headlining the general board. It's going to be a fun year in here. :nod:

This isn't a Celtics related topic, this topic is really about laughing at a pseudo-intellectual. :lol:

It's about a member of the Celtics. Geez, can't anyone even agree on that. C's can beat the Cavs and Warriors this year and would still get no respect in here. Players on the team have threads on them, yet it can't possibly have anything to do with the Celtics. My lord. :nonono:

All the Kyrie threads last year and the year before that were also about the Celtics.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#158 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:

That's his career average (5.5). It's fine but it's not special. Think about it - he's the PG but he led the team in shot attempts, not assists. And even though he led the team in shot attempts he was not the team's leading scorer. He has issues.

Kyrie shot 47/40/90

Nothing wrong with the amount of shots kyrie took. Lebron is a facilitator, and he Lebron also had his career high in assists last season. So...Kyrie definitely helped with that.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#159 » by rumdiary » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 am

the kid is 24

there's things that are impossible to know at 24

especially if you've been a millionaire since you were 19

I love Kyrie's game but he talks a lot of nonsense
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod