Is the NBA trending to become America's favorite sport?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will basketball be America's favorite sport?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 179

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is the NBA trending to become America's favorite sport? 

Post#101 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 am

Slade3 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Slade3 wrote:
Then why is Soccer more popular than Rugby? It is by far more violent than Soccer.

This conversation is about America. We like things that go boom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

You said "humans" not Americans.

Well "I" didn't say that at all. I was commenting on the topic at hand :)

Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Re: Is the NBA trending to become America's favorite sport? 

Post#102 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 am

NBA will never surpass the NFL but if they ever try to come close, the NBA needs a whole lot more parity in the League.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,944

Re: RE: Re: Is the NBA trending to become America's favorite sport? 

Post#103 » by CobraCommander » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 am

Slade3 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Slade3 wrote:
Then why is Soccer more popular than Rugby? It is by far more violent than Soccer.

This conversation is about America. We like things that go boom

I said humans and Soccer is more popular that Rugby...but neither are as popular in America as football or Boxing. Maybe being the only superpower makes americans violent and myopic- either way Basketball wont beat out football until we BAN football cause its violent and dangerous as hell
Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Post#104 » by Slade3 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Slade3 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:This conversation is about America. We like things that go boom

I said humans and Soccer is more popular that Rugby...but neither are as popular in America as football or Boxing. Maybe being the only superpower makes americans violent and myopic- either way Basketball wont beat out football until we BAN football cause its violent and dangerous as hell

That's not what you said. You said humans have carnal desires for violence. And weather Soccer or Rugby are not as popular in US is irrelevant. I'm going by your premise that humans in general like violent sports. Soccer is, by far, the most popular sport in the world yet it avoids violence like the plague.
C_Alejandro
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#105 » by C_Alejandro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:38 am

Don't see it happening. It will surely surpass the MLB but I don't see the NBA rivaling football in the US. And it will never rival hockey in Canada or soccer in Europe. Basketball will be the #2 sport in all of those regions however, within a few years, that's what it looks like.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#106 » by CobraCommander » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:02 am

Slade3 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Slade3 wrote:

That's not what you said. You said humans have carnal desires for violence. And weather Soccer or Rugby are not as popular in US is irrelevant. I'm going by your premise that humans in general like violent sports. Soccer is, by far, the most popular sport in the world yet it avoids violence like the plague.

Still wont catch NFL...but the NFL may disappear...so maybe
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#107 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Slade3 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

Yeah the Aaron Hernandez news is crazy. Dude was only 27 and didn't play that long in the pros.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#108 » by CobraCommander » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:27 am

jbk1234 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Slade3 wrote:

Yeah the Aaron Hernandez news is crazy. Dude was only 27 and didn't play that long in the pros.

They said he had the brain of a 60 or 70 year old.....hmmm I'm not saying that CTE caused him to be a monster...but CTE may have caused him to be a monster
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#109 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:47 am

Team like Lakers and Knicks need to be good. The market is huge
Raptors til death
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is the NBA trending to become America's favorite sport? 

Post#110 » by infintybeyond » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
Zmill wrote:
Yea boxing used to be immensely popular in the 90s. Another thing to note about the drop in interest is when the black man and latinos really took over and the quality of heavyweights began to drop. I believe if an exciting boxer like Lomachenko or Anthony Joshua was a white American who could trash talk, it would be huge.

I think thats a little false only because there really hasnt been a big white American fighter since Marciano and yet boxing was still huge up till the late 90s when the majority of the fighter were African Americans. The most popular fighter of the past 30 years was a 5'10 heavyweight fighter who was dominating during a weak era. The problem boxing faces is the same reason soccer will never be a top 3 sport here and that's when it comes to sports the casual American sports fan tends to be xenophobic. If the best athletes in a sport arent from here or speak english then there's little to no interest. Manny Pacquiao was an outlier in boxing because if you notice the GGG vs Canelo fight didnt get anywhere near the interest of that "exhibition" that took place 3 weeks before. Its the same thing in women's tennis, MMA, and Men's soccer. The only reason we care about the women's soccer team is cause they dominate.

I agree with you. On Manny vs GGG/Canelo, Manny was lucky enough to establish himself against Mexican legends (Barrera, Morales, Marquez). Then, he was catapulted exponentially by fighting mega star De La Hoya and the rest is history. GGG/Canelo don't have that talent pool around them, where you have established legends that carry huge fan bases. Boxing's biggest issue is corruption. That is the biggest reason fans are turning away. It's happening far too often. GGG/Canelo was a great fight (fight of the year for me) marred by talk of corruption.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#111 » by Dominator83 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am

CobraCommander wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

They said he had the brain of a 60 or 70 year old.....hmmm I'm not saying that CTE caused him to be a monster...but CTE may have caused him to be a monster

Ehh. That's just his family and lawyer looking for an excuse. He was an ishead character well before he ever played in the NFL.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Cassalien
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#112 » by Cassalien » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 pm

PockyCandy wrote:The NBA will NEVER surpass college football south of the Mason Dixon line. Unless you live here, you can't understand how ingrained it is in the culture. It rivals the soccer culture in Europe in terms of fanaticism.

Good try, its not even close to european soccer culture loool wake up
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#113 » by CobraCommander » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Dominater wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Ehh. That's just his family and lawyer looking for an excuse. He was an ishead character well before he ever played in the NFL.

The family didnt come up with the report. And no one is saying you cant get CTE in peewee football. This isnt about the NFL at all...its about the effects of head impacts on the brain.

Football is like cigarettes. The evidence is there that this thing is killing people but we enjoy it so much and it makes so much money that we cant walk away from it.

Return to The General Board