Lakers sign Andrew Bogut to 1 Year Deal

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

getitdone323
Sixth Man
And1: 2,760

Re: Lakers sign Andrew Bogut to 1 Year Deal 

Post#101 » by getitdone323 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 am

C3H6N6O6 wrote:It amazes me how an average Indian who probably earns around $3500 annually knows more about the world than an average American who earns $50k annually.

you guys are clueless about the world and i say this with no ill feelings towards you guys. Not even 1% of the people who follow NBA outside of the US know about Brett Favre. That 1% might be an overestimation on my part.

I'll tell you 1 more thing. Michael Jordan was never the most popular athlete on the planet. It has always been a soccer player. I say this as a person who live in China and India in the 90s. He was the most popular athlete if you talk about first world countries.

NBA got popular in the 90s but it was nowhere near today's level. Soccer was a lot more popular.

No channel even showed NBA in India in the 90s. Big soccer stars were still popular in India despite India not being good at it. Nearly every Indian knew about Zidane and Ronaldo(Brazil) in the 90s.

More people know about Kobe in China than MJ.

Ha. Thats funny. Considering most of the indians here are hotel/motel or other small business owners, doctors, dentist, pharmacist, lawers, tech jobs in silicon valley, engineers for most of the big defense companies (northrop grumman, ratheyon etc) i can tell you that their average salary is not 3500 per year. I am assuming you ment the average citizen in India, may want to be more clear about that in your intro.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#102 » by C3H6N6O6 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 am

getitdone323 wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:It amazes me how an average Indian who probably earns around $3500 annually knows more about the world than an average American who earns $50k annually.

you guys are clueless about the world and i say this with no ill feelings towards you guys. Not even 1% of the people who follow NBA outside of the US know about Brett Favre. That 1% might be an overestimation on my part.

I'll tell you 1 more thing. Michael Jordan was never the most popular athlete on the planet. It has always been a soccer player. I say this as a person who live in China and India in the 90s. He was the most popular athlete if you talk about first world countries.

NBA got popular in the 90s but it was nowhere near today's level. Soccer was a lot more popular.

No channel even showed NBA in India in the 90s. Big soccer stars were still popular in India despite India not being good at it. Nearly every Indian knew about Zidane and Ronaldo(Brazil) in the 90s.

More people know about Kobe in China than MJ.

Ha. Thats funny. Considering most of the indians here are hotel/motel or other small business owners, doctors, dentist, pharmacist, lawers, tech jobs in silicon valley, engineers for most of the big defense companies (northrop grumman, ratheyon etc) i can tell you that their average salary is not 3500 per year. I am assuming you ment the average citizen in India, may want to be more clear about that in your intro.

That is pretty obvious for anyone. No need for it to be mentioned.
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#103 » by ProfessorJM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 am

I don't think there is any question - especially in Asia - that the NFL has woefully failed with their marketing compared to the NBA. You notice a lot of little things -- for example, I can at least speak to my wife and her family/friends primarily from South Korea. The NBA allowed their merchandise to be really flashy and colorful for jerseys/hats/etc in Korea even though they completely butchered team colors which would be much harder in the United States although see it a little more now with say pink hats, etc. My wife would never and has never had any interest in any sports except soccer and golf but she knows about 10-15 NBA players and but maybe only 1-2 NFL players by name but more importantly she has about 5-6 NBA team hats (all wrong colors) and I have only one and I'm a die hard fan. (Mavs)

Return to The General Board