Why is Carmelo not being booed/hated in NY?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Why is Carmelo not being booed/hated in NY? 

Post#1 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't understand how this guy isn't public enemy #1 in NY the same way that A-Rod was.

He's accomplished nothing since coming to New York except for a fluke 2013 regular season in which he flamed out early in the playoffs.

Aside from him being overrated, his laziness on D alone should be enough to get him booed mercilessly in NY.

And it's not like he came cheap. He cost the Knicks 2 valuable LOTTERY picks by forcing his way to New York instead of waiting to sign in the summer, albeit for less money. Those draft picks could've been used to further build the core around Porzingis.

Yet he seems to get a warm reception from Knicks fans. Phil got buried for basically telling the truth about him. The fans and media unanimously sided with Melo in that battle with Phil and ran Phil outta town. :lol:

I thought that New York was a tough city to make it in, or maybe Knicks just aren't as smart as advertised..?

He should be getting booed every time he steps on the Garden floor.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,160

Re: Why is Carmelo not being booed/hated in NY? 

Post#2 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Cause he wants to play there and the owner is James Dolan. He's the first "superstar" and so far the only one since the modern FA movement started in '10 that has chosen to play in NY. Even to this day it seems if he could and they were winning he would spend the rest of his career in NY. I think Knicks fans are grateful for that. Now I am surprised that no fault ever seems to be about his shortcomings as a player but about everything else (D'Antoni, Amare injury, Phil Jackson etc.) But that being said as long as Dolan is owner he will always generate all of the hate.
dive135
Junior
And1: 227

Post#3 » by dive135 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Why would fans hate Carmelo? He hasn’t been a cancer and is not the cause of problems in NY. For the most part he has lived up-to his contract showing up for games, and putting up solid offense with mediocre defense. He never has really made a big deal about trying to leave, until the front office became unraveled under Phil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,518

Post#4 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:58 pm

and he does here some boos recently. mainly when he goes rogue on offense when it seems like everything is going good with ball movement. even if he makes the shot lol, the crowd is still frustrated if we see him doing his jab steps on consecutive possessions. aside from his defense, no 1 really holds much against him. most accept that he's not what he used to be and we have an idiot owner who hires idiots.
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#5 » by pwrshft99 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Because people are told what to believe by the media. It's the media that has Melo labeled as some difference maker when the truth is, all the dude could ever do was score.

He was the Knicks savior according to the media tho.
#sadbullsfan
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#6 » by Scalabrine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 pm

He get's booed, so I dont know what you are talking about.

It's also hard to put all the blame on one guy when all winning teams have had multiple all-stars teamed up together. The only All-Star he's ever played with in a Knick jersey was Tyson Chandler, who was never a legit 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option on the team. In a league where the best teams have 2-4 All Stars and consistent coaching, he doesn't really have much of a chance.

Sadly, as the Knicks are looking to run him out of town, and he starts to decline, we have another emerging superstar level talent that will experience the same fate. I pray that Ntilikina is legit, Hernangomez continues to improve and that we can hit in the draft this coming year to build a good core around him.

Wade has played on teams with other players that made the all star team 12 times (Shaq, James, Bosh, Butler).
LeBron has played on teams with other players that made the all star team 13 times (Big Z, Williams, Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love).
Paul has played on teams with other players that made the all star team 8 times (West, Griffin, Jordan).
Anthony has played on teams with other players that made the all star team 5 times, all but 1 in Denver (Iverson 2, Billups 2, Chandler 1)
Go Knicks!
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#7 » by Antinomy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Because there's always been a scapegoat in his place. First it was Amare, then Lin, then D'Antoni, then Dolan, then Phil Jackson. His camp has managed to deflect blame from him at every turn. One of the most fascinating things I've seen PR-wise.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,791

Post#8 » by NZB2323 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm not the biggest Melo fan. He's not the best player or teammate, but here's some reasons why Knicks fans may like him:

1. Won a national championship at Syracuse.
2. Led the Knicks to their first playoff series win since 2000 in 2013.
3. Became Team USA's all-time leading scorer and has won 3 gold medals.
4. Has had to deal with some pretty crappy situations in New York.
5. He is 25th on the all-time leading scorer list.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#9 » by Sark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Wait till the season if he's still here.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:I don't understand how this guy isn't public enemy #1 in NY the same way that A-Rod was.

He's accomplished nothing since coming to New York except for a fluke 2013 regular season in which he flamed out early in the playoffs.

Aside from him being overrated, his laziness on D alone should be enough to get him booed mercilessly in NY.

And it's not like he came cheap. He cost the Knicks 2 valuable LOTTERY picks by forcing his way to New York instead of waiting to sign in the summer, albeit for less money. Those draft picks could've been used to further build the core around Porzingis.

Yet he seems to get a warm reception from Knicks fans. Phil got buried for basically telling the truth about him. The fans and media unanimously sided with Melo in that battle with Phil and ran Phil outta town. :lol:

I thought that New York was a tough city to make it in, or maybe Knicks just aren't as smart as advertised..?

To answer your question, he's been loyal to the Knicks, both requesting a trade to NY when he was in Denver and later re-signing with he team as a free agent. And it isn't his fault that Phil Jackson both gave him a no trade clause and then tried to run him out of town. That's on Jax.

I think it's often unfair how players get labelled. Melo has never been one of the top 5 players in he league, he actually led the league in scoring while wearing a Knicks uniform and the 54 win season he led the team too (a team that was not impressive on paper) was the best Knick season since 1996-97. Since then, he's been a fading and injury riddled player and the team hasn't been good as a result. There is a direct correlation there.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,425

Post#11 » by Wolfgang630 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Umm he was getting booed...He got booed for being the ball hog he is.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#12 » by Lala870 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 pm

On the forums/social media melo is pretty well received amongst knick fans. Ive lurked on the knick realgm side now and then and for the most part criticizing melo or the franchise direction will be met with some hostility. I think its part in due to knicks being completely irrelevant since the ewing/sprewell days
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
knicks512
Junior
And1: 1,127

Post#13 » by knicks512 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Lala870 wrote:On the forums/social media melo is pretty well received amongst knick fans. Ive lurked on the knick realgm side now and then and for the most part criticizing melo or the franchise direction will be met with some hostility. I think its part in due to knicks being completely irrelevant since the ewing/sprewell days

You have not spent more than 5 minutes on the Knicks RealGM forum if you think criticizing Melo is greeted with hostility. There are definitely way more people criticizing Melo than defending him. It's not even remotely close. There are like 3 or 4 posters who are the same ones defending him repeatedly. Don't say you've been there when you clearly haven't or just read one thread.

This coming from someone who doesn't hate Melo, but thinks it's time for him to go.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#14 » by Pinkyring » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Nobody cares about him anymore thats why, he's a 34 year old washed up has been on a bad team.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#15 » by meekrab » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Hard to boo a player who wants to be there when management is a) incompetent and b) trying to run him out of town in the least effective way possible.
Knickerbocker91
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#16 » by Knickerbocker91 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Carmelo wasn't and isn't the problem in New York. He may have forced himself to New York but it was James Dolan that unloaded an entire team for him. The dysfunction of the Knicks front office has kept key free agents away from playing in the Mecca. I'm actually impressed with how he's handled the entire Phil Jackson drama and even this off seasons BS.

The man actually wanted to play and stay in New York. Us Knicks fans respect him for that alone.

I stand with Melo.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

New York's a tough place to play. Anthony knew that when he asked to be traded there. He's OK with it. New York fans will not hesitate to boo a superstar that is not playing well or acting like a jerk. They won't hesitate to boo any player that is not playing well. They respond well to players that hustle and anyone that is playing well.

Anthony is rather team-oriented but he won't be pushed around. New York fans, as a whole, don't seem to mind that attitude; but I only spent one year in New York and that was a long time ago. As was said earlier, the biggest reason Anthony isn't hearing boos so much is because the fans have Dolan to boo and he sure seems to encourage more and more boos every year.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#18 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:42 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:I don't understand how this guy isn't public enemy #1 in NY the same way that A-Rod was.

He's accomplished nothing because management has failed to put, or keep competent talent around him, and that fact isn't lost on Knicks fans. The one season where he had talent, and help, and veterans, and spacing(2013), they won 54 games and he was an MVP candidate. It wasn't a "fluke" season; it was simply the season in which he had the most talent around him since coming to NY, and EVEN THEN, it still wasn't as much as Lebron had in D-Wade/Bosh or what PG had in Indy, or teams out West. It wouldn't make sense to call him overrated if in essentially the lone season he had consistent, moderate help he succeeded individually and it translated to team success.

He gets a warm perception because so much of the Knicks failure(s) just wasn't on him. Phil came in and shook this team up; fired the entire coaching staff, traded away players that still had value like Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton for next nothing, in clearly inferior players like Dalembert and Calderon. He traded Shumpert and Smith for two low level, do nothing role players. Threw THJ away to get a rookie PG, who I can't help but feel he barely even scouted because the guy is a third stringer at best. He also gave Noah a massive contract that he not only didn't deserve, but can't even earn at this point because he can't stay on the court.

There's been three head coaches under Jackson; Fisher who never coached a day in his life before, who never had any kind of behind the scenes role, was never an assistant, or anything of that nature. Rambis who was his replacement temporarily, who was actually being considered for the full time role despite being one of the worst coaches of all time really(in terms of record). Finally, Hornacek was settled on as the HC, which I didn't mind because he did do a solid job in Phoenix. With that being said though, you look at who was available for the position, that got passed up on; Tom Thibadeau and Frank Vogel, namely, and it managed to leave a sour taste in the mouth of fans to a degree. Whomever he had coaching the Knicks, be it Fisher, Rambis, or Horn, his insistence upon having them use the triangle offense and implementing that system, HIS system, was problematic on and off the court for both management and the players.

All of these things ultimately tied into the Knicks woes, much, much more so than anything Carmelo has done.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#19 » by Lala870 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm

knicks512 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:On the forums/social media melo is pretty well received amongst knick fans. Ive lurked on the knick realgm side now and then and for the most part criticizing melo or the franchise direction will be met with some hostility. I think its part in due to knicks being completely irrelevant since the ewing/sprewell days

You have not spent more than 5 minutes on the Knicks RealGM forum if you think criticizing Melo is greeted with hostility. There are definitely way more people criticizing Melo than defending him. It's not even remotely close. There are like 3 or 4 posters who are the same ones defending him repeatedly. Don't say you've been there when you clearly haven't or just read one thread.

This coming from someone who doesn't hate Melo, but thinks it's time for him to go.

Ive lurked on the knicks board more than you may think. Perhaps they are the same posters who defend him but I've seen it more than a few times. Perhaps the dynamic has shifted in recent weeks/months.

No big deal either way tbh...more of an observation bro...
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
sidamadeus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#20 » by sidamadeus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Because the Knicks were a god awful franchise before Carmelo arrived here. Granted they are still pretty bad, but they did reach the playoffs for the first time in 10 years with Carmelo and also had a 54 win season. They haven't put together a championship roster since acquiring Melo in 2011 and the fans know that. During his tenure in NY he's played for 5 different coaches and his second best player was JR Smith. We don't blame Melo for failure in management.

Return to The General Board