Why is Carmelo not being booed/hated in NY?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: Why is Carmelo not being booed/hated in NY? 

Post#21 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:05 pm

A loyal player that's never had any help, why would he be booed?
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,721

Post#22 » by Yoshun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm not sure anyone really expected Melo to come in and carry the franchise like a Lebron or Kobe. I could be wrong, but I really don't remember people around here having those expectations. I think everyone believed he was a step in the right direction that would hopefully bring more star players and better moves.

Also, the A-Rod comparison isn't very good. His situation was very different.
maisenza13
Junior
And1: 65

Post#23 » by maisenza13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Without him, no chance to believe in somebady else
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#24 » by Scalabrine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Nobody cares about him anymore thats why, he's a 34 year old washed up has been on a bad team.
th

He 33, and was selected to the All Star game by coaches last year (his 10th time out of 11 years), and he averaged 22.5/6/3 on his lowest USG% since his rookie year. I don't think it's fair to call him washed up just yet, he's not prime Melo but he can definitely be an extremely valuable weapon on a team with more win-now talent.
Go Knicks!
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#25 » by Bertrob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Dupp wrote:A loyal player that's never had any help, why would he be booed?

Do you mean help in NY cause he had plenty of help in DEN
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#26 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Bertrob wrote:
Dupp wrote:A loyal player that's never had any help, why would he be booed?

Do you mean help in NY cause he had plenty of help in DEN

Why would Knicks fans boo him for his time in Denver?
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#27 » by Billy Goat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 pm

pwrshft99 wrote:Because people are told what to believe by the media. It's the media that has Melo labeled as some difference maker when the truth is, all the dude could ever do was score.

He was the Knicks savior according to the media tho.

This is very true. Knicks fans are also super homers and never really own up to the fact the team sucks, while other NY fanbases do. Also MSG being full on corporate takes away a lot of booing.
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#28 » by Billy Goat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Lala870 wrote:On the forums/social media melo is pretty well received amongst knick fans. Ive lurked on the knick realgm side now and then and for the most part criticizing melo or the franchise direction will be met with some hostility. I think its part in due to knicks being completely irrelevant since the ewing/sprewell days

A vast majority of the Knicks fanbase treats the team like they've been winning championships and that everything they do is beyond reproach. With the Mets and Jets its the exact opposite. Weird dynamic.
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#29 » by Bertrob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Dupp wrote:Why would Knicks fans boo him for his time in Denver?

I don't know they're a surly bunch
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#30 » by BallerTalk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Knickerbocker91 wrote:Carmelo wasn't and isn't the problem in New York. He may have forced himself to New York but it was James Dolan that unloaded an entire team for him. The dysfunction of the Knicks front office has kept key free agents away from playing in the Mecca. I'm actually impressed with how he's handled the entire Phil Jackson drama and even this off seasons BS.

The man actually wanted to play and stay in New York. Us Knicks fans respect him for that alone.

I stand with Melo.

This.

Above all else New York fans are aware of how inept ownership and the front office has been so the bulk of their disdain is reserved for them.

Also Melo chose NY at a time when few other marquee players would. I believe that still resonates with long time Knicks fans.

Lastly, Melo has been completely professional throughout his time with the Knicks. That is especially commendable considering how brazen the front office became in recent months during their campaign to force him out.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#31 » by Pinkyring » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Nobody cares about him anymore thats why, he's a 34 year old washed up has been on a bad team.
th

He 33, and was selected to the All Star game by coaches last year (his 10th time out of 11 years), and he averaged 22.5/6/3 on his lowest USG% since his rookie year. I don't think it's fair to call him washed up just yet, he's not prime Melo but he can definitely be an extremely valuable weapon on a team with more win-now talent.

Basketball is about more than numbers just becsuse he's still scoring is irrelevant a lot of guys score, he doesn't have impact on winning and thats what makes him washed up
R-S-M
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#32 » by R-S-M » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 pm

We appreciate Melo always putting in work, gave up the farm to get him but we finally had someone wanting to be here. However, it wouldnt be right to set ourselves back again a few years by trading him for whats the rockets are offering. - if they did that, it would deff be a typical knicks move.

He has a NTC but it would be nice if he opened up his list of teams to just at least 1 or 2 other options. By now he would of already ended up on one of those 2/3 teams.

The knicks are honestly better off keeping him than taking ryan anderson - look how hard its been to find a third team willing to take ryan andersons contract now. Best case, you hold off until trade deadline and see if anything changes.
"Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise." "I'm chasing perfection. "
-Kobe Bryant
caseyhampton
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#33 » by caseyhampton » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

He'll definitely get boo'd if he's still there this season, but comparing him to A-Rod is a little harsh, don't you think?
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#34 » by Kurosawa0 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 pm

For all his flaws, Carmelo Anthony has just wanted to be a Knick. That should mean something to the fans.
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#35 » by Billy Goat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

caseyhampton wrote:He'll definitely get boo'd if he's still there this season, but comparing him to A-Rod is a little harsh, don't you think?

harsh to Arod.
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#36 » by Bertrob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 am

Billy Goat wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:He'll definitely get boo'd if he's still there this season, but comparing him to A-Rod is a little harsh, don't you think?

harsh to Arod.

RebeliousKing19
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#37 » by RebeliousKing19 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 am

Because the Knicks consistent terribleness isn't his fault, its management's fault. (Angrliy thinks about James Dolan)
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#38 » by Scalabrine » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:25 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
th

Basketball is about more than numbers just becsuse he's still scoring is irrelevant a lot of guys score, he doesn't have impact on winning and thats what makes him washed up

I think that if he was on a team that had more talent that he would win. He's not capable of carrying a team anymore, but he can a really valuable player for teams looking for a stretch 4 type. He's be awesome as the PF in Washington for example where they have Wall, Beal, Porter, Gortat.

Morris, Mahinmi, Oubre, Satoransky, 2019 first for Melo and O'Quinn

Gortat/Smith
Melo/O'Quinn/Scott
Porter/Melo
Beal/Meeks
Wall/Frazier

You don't think he would improve the Wizards in that situation? You don't think he'd improve the Rockets if they replaced Anderson with him?

That just sounds like you have a serious issue with him beyond basketball. I doubt youve even watched him that much in the past 2-3 seasons.
Go Knicks!
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#39 » by ProfessorJM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 am

I think New York fans (at least the ones I have met personally) are pretty sharp and realize a number of things. One, Melo is not LeBron James or Michael Jordan, and they realize Melo is only so good and they also have such a bad owner/management that's it so easy to blame them first. Melo is not even James Harden level, much less the all-time greats so it's not reasonable to expect much more from Melo than what they got these years. Has Melo really ever had a good team around him? To be fair, Melo originally forced the move to NY that kind of hurt the team some because of what they gave up so a little of that is on him to me. But, Dolan, Thomas, Phil, Oakley, so many baffling trials and tribulations with the Knicks franchise.
ernie1
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#40 » by ernie1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 pm

No - Trade clause should be kicked out of NBA completely, so no player can take the entire team hostage for his own agenda. If Melo was gone, the team could re-build and re-develop faster.
He is getting older, slower, and just eating cap space.

Return to The General Board