Where Would '97 MJ Rank in the NBA Today?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

caseyhampton
Freshman
And1: 30

Re: Where Would '97 MJ Rank in the NBA Today? 

Post#61 » by caseyhampton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 am

OdomFan wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Wrong again.

I want to hear your opinion. Care to explain why you THINK I'm wrong? I'm all ears :D

Like I said nobody in the league today can guard michael jordan 1 on 1 especially when how easy it is for fouls to be called. The man was very smart at knowing how to draw a foul so he'd get to the line a lot so his numbers would likely increase rather than decrease like you're trying to make it out.

He would make 3 point shots but he would not need to make it anymore of a primary part of his game than he ever did. That isn't an opinion it's a fact.

I'm not trying to say his numbers would decrease, they would obviously increase. The fact that you missed my point entirely makes me regret asking you to explain. I should have left it at "wrong."

And to void your point, Kyrie is practically unguardable 1v1 and gets to the line a lot, is he top 3? And opinions don't become facts just because you call them that :roll:
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#62 » by LakerLegend » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:12 am

caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:I want to hear your opinion. Care to explain why you THINK I'm wrong? I'm all ears :D

Like I said nobody in the league today can guard michael jordan 1 on 1 especially when how easy it is for fouls to be called. The man was very smart at knowing how to draw a foul so he'd get to the line a lot so his numbers would likely increase rather than decrease like you're trying to make it out.

He would make 3 point shots but he would not need to make it anymore of a primary part of his game than he ever did. That isn't an opinion it's a fact.

I'm not trying to say his numbers would decrease, they would obviously increase. The fact that you missed my point entirely makes me regret asking you to explain. I should have left it at "wrong."

And to void your point, Kyrie is practically unguardable 1v1 and gets to the line a lot, is he top 3? And opinions don't become facts just because you call them that :roll:

There's no player in this league outside of LeBron and Durant who has an argument against 97 Jordan as a total player.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,937

Post#63 » by zimpy27 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 am

I'd have him 3rd.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
caseyhampton
Freshman

Post#64 » by caseyhampton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:

There's no player in this league outside of LeBron and Durant who has an argument against 97 Jordan as a total player.

I don't know man. I got Kawhi slightly ahead of him too. He's shown he can get it done at all levels of the game.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#65 » by OdomFan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am

caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:I want to hear your opinion. Care to explain why you THINK I'm wrong? I'm all ears :D

He spent 2 decades in the NBA without having a 3 point shot as a primary part of his game so yes it is a fact that he wouldn't suddenly need to do that now either. Just face it pal you don't know anything about Michael Jordan.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#66 » by LakerLegend » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 am

caseyhampton wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:I'm not trying to say his numbers would decrease, they would obviously increase. The fact that you missed my point entirely makes me regret asking you to explain. I should have left it at "wrong."

I don't know man. I got Kawhi slightly ahead of him too. He's shown he can get it done at all levels of the game.

I don't know if you actually watched Jordan play friend, but that's like saying you'd take a roleplayer over a superstar.

Kawai literally feels like a roleplayer compared to what Jordan was.

It's no disrepect to him

Watching Jordan or having your team play against his Bulls in 97 felt like what it would be if LeBron's Heat had actually lived up to the hype and dominated everybody, took their souls.

Jordan was literally a superhero who you knew would come through and win the series or game no matter what had to be done.

Even the Warriors don't feel as unbeatable as his Bulls did.
caseyhampton
Freshman

Post#67 » by caseyhampton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 am

OdomFan wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:

He spent 2 decades in the NBA without having a 3 point shot as a primary part of his game so yes it is a fact that he wouldn't suddenly need to do that now either. Just face it pal you don't know anything about Michael Jordan.

The 3pt shot is is way more relevant in today's game than back then. He'd have to learn to adapt to take the next step which, if he was playing in today's game, would more than likely be the case. Don't get me wrong, MJ was a killer by all means, and if he was hitting his prime today, he'd absolutely have a 3. You're right that he didn't have a killer 3 because he didn't need to, but he would have needed it more in today's game than back then. But, if we're talking just taking '97 Jordan and his skillset, with no developments, I can't see him ahead of Kawhi, KD or LeBron. I see the gap between him and Kawhi smaller than the gap between him and #5, I in no way meant to disrespect him or his fans.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#68 » by LakerLegend » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 am

caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:I'm not trying to say his numbers would decrease, they would obviously increase. The fact that you missed my point entirely makes me regret asking you to explain. I should have left it at "wrong."

The 3pt shot is is way more relevant in today's game than back then. He'd have to learn to adapt to take the next step which, if he was playing in today's game, would more than likely be the case. Don't get me wrong, MJ was a killer by all means, and if he was hitting his prime today, he'd absolutely have a 3. You're right that he didn't have a killer 3 because he didn't need to, but he would have needed it more in today's game than back then. But, if we're talking just taking '97 Jordan and his skillset, with no developments, I can't see him ahead of Kawhi, KD or LeBron. I see the gap between him and Kawhi smaller than the gap between him and #5, I in no way meant to disrespect him or his fans.

Leonard hits two 3's a game.

Jordan will get you at least 1 with these cupcake rules on the perimeter.

Jordan in 97 was still an all-world lockdown defender too.

That's not enough to overcome Jordan blowing him out of the water at every other offensive skill.
caseyhampton
Freshman

Post#69 » by caseyhampton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:

I don't know if you actually watched Jordan play friend, but that's like saying you'd take a roleplayer over a superstar.

Kawai literally feels like a roleplayer compared to what Jordan was.

It's no disrepect to him

Watching Jordan or having your team play against his Bulls in 97 felt like what it would be if LeBron's Heat had actually lived up to the hype and dominated everybody, took their souls.

Jordan was literally a superhero who you knew would come through and win the series or game no matter what had to be done.

Stop, you can't change history. This Warriors team is ABSOLUTELY more unbeatable than the '97 Bulls. These Warriors were blowing teams out in unprecedented fashion, and that Utah game was a Malone-choke away from pushing them to 7, and who knows what would've happened.

And calling Kawhi a role-player compared to Jordan is completely disrespectful. Kawhi has the ability to take over games, obviously not to the extent of Jordan, but the superstar talent is still there. And I'm well informed of the Bulls teams in the 90s, I lived it and was a huge fan, but Jordan isn't the untouchable god everyone makes him out to be, especially not the '97 version. (He's still the GOAT obviously)
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#70 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 am

97 Jordan will easily be the best player in the NBA. His mindset alone would carry him past guys like LeBron and Durant. The 97 version of Jordan was a better 2009 version of kobe who was the best player in the NBA that year.
caseyhampton
Freshman

Post#71 » by caseyhampton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:

Leonard hits two 3's a game.

Jordan will get you at least 1 with these cupcake rules on the perimeter.

Jordan in 97 was still an all-world lockdown defender too.

That's not enough to overcome Jordan blowing him out of the water at every other offensive skill.

Kawhi is a better defender, and thanks to these WNBA-like rules, Jordan would have to put a LOT more energy to remain as effective of a defender. Kawhi does it naturally and is more versatile. You're clearly not giving Kawhi enough respect, he could put the locks on any wing in NBA history. Do you rank him in the top 5 in today's game?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,169

Post#72 » by mademan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 am

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:97 Jordan will easily be the best player in the NBA. His mindset alone would carry him past guys like LeBron and Durant. The 97 version of Jordan was a better 2009 version of kobe who was the best player in the NBA that year.

There's almost nothing about this post thats true.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#73 » by RCM88x » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:Guys like IT and Derozan are 20 ppg scorers in 97.

This is a league where Harden averaged 29 points 8 rebounds and 11 assists over the course of an entire season and Harden is half the player Jordan was in 97.

Even Wiggins put up 23/4/2.

Box scores are meaningless.

Once you realize this you'll enjoy the game so much more.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#74 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 am

mademan wrote:
-TheDocOfDenial wrote:97 Jordan will easily be the best player in the NBA. His mindset alone would carry him past guys like LeBron and Durant. The 97 version of Jordan was a better 2009 version of kobe who was the best player in the NBA that year.

LeBron is not better than 97 MJ and in 2009 Kobe was the best player in the NBA (both commentators and coaches a like have said that). Reason I compared MJ to 2009 Kobe is becausd both were still athletic yet had an all around game that made them lethal. Again just an opinion no need to get triggered.
Jboogz23
Sophomore
And1: 163

Post#75 » by Jboogz23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:37 am

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:
mademan wrote:

LeBron is not better than 97 MJ and in 2009 Kobe was the best player in the NBA (both commentators and coaches a like have said that). Reason I compared MJ to 2009 Kobe is becausd both were still athletic yet had an all around game that made them lethal. Again just an opinion no need to get triggered.

I guess I'm triggered too because I agree with mademan.
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#76 » by OdomFan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 am

Then you don't have a clue.
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#77 » by OdomFan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 am

caseyhampton wrote:
OdomFan wrote:

Wrong again.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#78 » by euroleague » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:

yea, not yet. Those Bulls were just ridiculous to watch.
dabonett
Senior
And1: 365

Post#79 » by dabonett » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 am

Are you referring to real nba or nba2k?
Real nba with the flu game, right? Well at the time he was a semi-god, the impression at that time was he was not able to fail.
I rooted against him honestly, but he was several notches above others and had to admit he was the best ever. Cannot see a player after him that can be on same atmosphere
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#80 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 am

Where would the greatest player in the history of the game, in the middle of his SECOND three-peat, rank amongst a bunch of guys who can't hold his jock strap? There is a reason Lebron stopped chasing that ghost after this year's Finals.

Lebron is not a GOAT finisher, he never won anything until he teamed up with D Wade and Kyrie, so they could close the games for him. All he does is pass the ball to D Wade or Kyrie in crunch time when it really matters. Pass to Kyle Korver? GOAT finishers take and make that shot, they don't bitch out and say they made the right pass/play.

And 1997? Even a flu couldn't stop him in the Finals that year. You do realise by '97 Jordan already had four rings right? I guess you could say he was one ring better than Lebron at that point, if that makes it easier for you.

Return to The General Board