Preseason BPI Rankings are out

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Preseason BPI Rankings are out 

Post#21 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 pm

JXL wrote:Already, I can say the Bulls, Hawks, Magic, Knicks, Nets and Pacers are dog food. It will be a fight for an 8th seed spot that no one would want if Cleveland is there again. It's likely a toss-up with the Pistons, Hornets and Sixers.

low key rooting for the nets to actually do well
jeremy lin + deangelo russell + allen crabbe would make an amazing super unlikely underdog story
and despite me thinking whitehead is a scrub i actually like his brooklyn roots story and am rooting for his success.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#22 » by Prez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 pm

This "learning to win" stuff is so overstated with the Sixers, they were already becoming dangerous as hell over Embiid's last month or so. And that's before adding guys like Simmons, Redick, Fultz, Amir, etc. this upcoming year. Their roster is deeper than many think and they do have vets to help out.

Literally the only thing keeping them from the playoffs this year is health. If Embiid can just be on the floor they're going to be competitive.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,412

Post#23 » by JXL » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm

karkinos wrote:
JXL wrote:Already, I can say the Bulls, Hawks, Magic, Knicks, Nets and Pacers are dog food. It will be a fight for an 8th seed spot that no one would want if Cleveland is there again. It's likely a toss-up with the Pistons, Hornets and Sixers.

low key rooting for the nets to actually do well
jeremy lin + deangelo russell + allen crabbe would make an amazing super unlikely underdog story
and despite me thinking whitehead is a scrub i actually like his brooklyn roots story and am rooting for his success.

Yeah, you want that pick be 8th instead of 2nd-3rd to stick it to the Cavs... I want that too... :nod:
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#24 » by giberish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Bertrob wrote:
giberish wrote:What is BPI?

Seems optimistic with young players. Boston and Philly both seems too high. Charlotte and Utah should both be in the top 16 ahead of Philly.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13984129/what-espn-nba-basketball-power-index

'Based on Vegas win totals'

So for the preseason it's mostly just the Vegas line. Which assumes betters will overrate how good hyped/talented young players will be right away.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#25 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

jpengland wrote:
JXL wrote:They are riding hard on the 76ers. Unless Embiid stays healthy, and Simmons/Fultz turns into Bosh/Wade, I can't fully say they're a playoff team.

They certainly have a low floor.

BUT with Embiid on the floor, they were a good team last year. Add in Fultz, Simmons, Redick and growth from Covington and Saric and that's a scary looking team on any given night.

Of course a lot hinges on Embiid staying healthy and one or both of Fultz being impact rookies, but that's hardly beyond the realms of reasonable.

Definitely the hardest team to predict in the league but if you look on the positive side of Embiid health then they are an almost definite play off team in the East IMO.

This is a question I have re: Philly - their first game of the season, is Embiid scheduled to play or not?, and if so, is he cleared to play the whole game or is he still on a minutes restriction? I assume Fultz is cleared after the summer league ankle roll, but has this been confirmed? I think I did read the Simmons is cleared and expected to play - but he's the only one I heard for sure.

My opinion is if they start things out not playing these guys and being "cautious", it's not a good sign for the rest of the season that they are "all in". JMO.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#26 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Well..you have to realize that preseason BPI admits that it draws these rankings from "past performance and Vegas win predictions". So who was good this year, and who do the bettors like.

They get a bit more reasonable after things get underway and they actually have some real team performances to factor in.
cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#27 » by cthunshammer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Masterfully wrote:
Bertrob wrote:
Over who

I'd easily put the Jazz above the Clippers. I don't see the Clips making the playoffs.

Where is the scoring on the Jazz going to come from? Rodney Hood?

Maybe watch the Jazz/Clippers Game 4 and see how well they scored without L. Ron Hayward

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#28 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 am

azcatz11 wrote:
LordRiley wrote:76ers ARE NOT making the playoffs. People need to stop overrating this team. These guys haven't played together, never won. Winning takes time, it takes LEARNING.

I would agree under normal circumstances but given how bad the east this year, it's possible they will. Especially since they have at least one generational talent and possibly 3 starting.

I think they make it.

Yet, this bad eastern conference still has legitimate teams who've won more games than the Sixers and they've also gotten better.

- Miami is significantly better chemistry and developed talent. IN: Olynyk, Adebayo, healthy Winslow/Richardson.

- Detroit is better with a healthy Jackson, newly acquired Bradley. More continuity as well.

- Charlotte is better with Dwight being a massive upgrade to the Jefferson-Zeller-Plumlee era Hornets and Malik Monk still has ROY scoring talent. Kemba still in his prime and just turned into a star guard.

I don't see why people feel the need to forcefully anoint the Sixers a contender. Embiid has never had a healthy summer of work and Simmons hasn't had a healthy summer. That alone tells you these kids aren't guaranteed 82 games of healthy productive basketball.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#29 » by theGreatRC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 am

Hard to argue with the West's top 8.

It's gonna be so damn competitive this year, I can't imagine a team with Holiday/Davis/Cousins not finding a way to make it to the playoffs, but then again, the West has about 11 teams that could make the playoffs

I actually like where Philly is. East is so weak, they could get in under .500. Definite playoff team if the guys stay healthy
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#30 » by Bertrob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 am

theGreatRC wrote:Hard to argue with the West's top 8.

It's gonna be so damn competitive this year, I can't imagine a team with Holiday/Davis/Cousins not finding a way to make it to the playoffs, but then again, the West has about 11 teams that could make the playoffs

man that new Twolves Logo is sharp
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#31 » by sacking123 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 am

JXL wrote:They are riding hard on the 76ers. Unless Embiid stays healthy, and Simmons/Fultz turns into Bosh/Wade, I can't fully say they're a playoff team.

If Embiid is healthy and those 2 turn into Bosh/Wade they would be title contenders.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#32 » by theGreatRC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:14 am

Bertrob wrote:

Too bad 2 out of the 3 jerseys revealed so far are low key ass
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,581

Post#33 » by BloodNinja » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 am

LordRiley wrote:76ers ARE NOT making the playoffs. People need to stop overrating this team. These guys haven't played together, never won. Winning takes time, it takes LEARNING.

The East is poop. Winning takes talent and they 76ers have Embiid. If he can play about 65 games they will be a playoff team.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#34 » by Nuggets_Talk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 am

Does anyone have a link to past preseason BPI rankings?
LordRiley
Sixth Man
And1: 6,515

Post#35 » by LordRiley » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

The East is Poop, blah blah blah. Sixers still wont make it. Quote me.
KHRICH
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,523

Post#36 » by KHRICH » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:22 pm

BloodNinja wrote:

The East is poop. Winning takes talent and they 76ers have Embiid. If he can play about 65 games they will be a playoff team.

That is a big IF he still hasnt even been cleared for 5 on 5
SweetBro
Junior
And1: 776

Post#37 » by SweetBro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 pm

theGreatRC wrote:
Bertrob wrote:

Too bad 2 out of the 3 jerseys revealed so far are low key ass

Well one is very high-key ass
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#38 » by walk with me » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Jazz won't sniff the playoffs

1. Rubio
2. Joe Johnson
3. Hood
4. Favors or Ingles
5. GObert

YEAh right lol
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#39 » by walk with me » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Jazz won't even see the 9th seed.... save this post if you feel differently and open it in February
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#40 » by WarriorGM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

The Celtics should be considered a question mark and because of that do not deserve the number one seed in the East. It's a different team and the replacements have thin experience proving they can lead a team to the playoffs. Kyrie was with LeBron; Hayward only got to the playoffs once last year. Then there is the possible chemistry issues to factor in. It doesn't seem logical to put them ahead of teams with more history.

Return to The General Board