Marcelo Huertas: "In the NBA, players are babies, the owners of the ball. Everyone is afraid to deal with the athlete."

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Re: Marcelo Huertas: "In the NBA, players are babies, the owners of the ball. Everyone is afraid to deal with the athlet 

Post#41 » by NPZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

dockingsched wrote:Huertas actuality played relatively well and was probably better than anyone else at running the offense. He most definitely deserved every minute Calderon got and deserved some more minutes that went to players like Clarkson.

There’s really no justification for Calderon getting on the court ahead of him so he’s right to be upset confused as to why that happened.

Huertas was a very crafty passer and thinker. I remember a steal at ORL where he stood there with his hands on his hips during an inbounds and then quickly bolted to steal the ball as it was casually tossed in and casually received by the guy inbounds. Sounds less of a big deal in text, but you rarely see a guy even bother to outwit two casual inbounding opps like that. Little plays like that he would frequently do in order to mitigate his many physical weaknesses. Alas, the issue is defense. If it weren't, we woulda signed Matt Thomas after being Kerresque from the arc in July. Matter of fact, they tried a Matt Thomas years back named Mike Penberthy. People kept calling him "the best shooter I've ever seen". He was quite fooling to the eye even though his percentage didn't meet Kerr's standards, but Phil started him in Nov, played him less in Dec, played him in final secs of blowouts in Jan, and he went back to working at the FedEx center after that. You'd better be an absolutely killer passer and/or a killer shooter at all their relative sizes to stick in the NBA (see Steve Nash, a defensive turnstyle, but made up for it big time). Much as Marcelo should've been nicknamed Scrappy Coco, he couldn't pay for his existence on the roster. It's like when laying hens can no longer squeeze enough eggs to pay for their food and water, they're sent off to become pot pie cubes.

That's the crafty steal there, found it:
https://youtu.be/PZPcMghH6ys?t=138
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
djw
Junior
And1: 605

Re: Marcelo Huertas: "In the NBA, players are babies, the owners of the ball. Everyone is afraid to deal with the athlet 

Post#42 » by djw » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I had to laugh out loud as I really liked the steal. Yet the very next scene has him running into his teammate on the penetration. :D
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#43 » by NPZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm

djw wrote:I had to laugh out loud as I really liked the steal. Yet the very next scene has him running into his teammate on the penetration. :D

I don't even blink that that, man. I've seen much dumber things in this Keystone Kops Lakers Era.

NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#44 » by Bobalob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Makes sense, the final season of the Lakers was a **** and went against so many principles of basketball. All to avoid losing a pick and to placate Kobe.

However, Marcelo Huertas is by definiton an NBA scrub. Not an overall scrub bc he is in the league. But an NBA scrub: relative to other NBA players he's 100% expendable. A non factor. I know there's a strong affinity for players of his type around these parts :roll: but lets not jump off the ledge here. I stopped reading once he started rambling about why he's not playing. I'm sure every 12th man on the bench has a similar explanation to why he's collecting splinters
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,992

Post#45 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Everybody Huertas, sometimes
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board