Defense beats Offense?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MovieMuscle
Starter
And1: 949

Defense beats Offense? 

Post#1 » by MovieMuscle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 am

It seems like every time hot offensive teams (Rockets, Warriors, Nuggets) meet these pesky defensive teams (Grizzlies, Jazz, even Spurs), they have a tough time winning. So, I guess that answers that question even during the regular season. At the end of the day, hard defense wins out. It's boring to watch, but it's true.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Re: Defense beats Offense? 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 am

Offense varies from night to night. Some nights guys don't shoot well. But defense is something teams can do consistently night in and night out. If a good offensive team doesn't have a good shooting night against a good defensive team, they're likely to lose.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#3 » by Chinook » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:44 am

It's because the "good defenses" are often accompanied by efficient offense, while the "good offenses" are accompanied by poor D. Bill Russell said that the game of basketball has always been, and will always be, about buckets. There are multiple ways to go about winning the bucket battle, and being slow but efficient and more stable is far superior than being fast but less efficient and less stable.
MovieMuscle
Starter

Post#4 » by MovieMuscle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 am

Chinook wrote:It's because the "good defenses" are often accompanied by efficient offense, while the "good offenses" are accompanied by poor D. Bill Russell said that the game of basketball has always been, and will always be, about buckets. There are multiple ways to go about winning the bucket battle, and being slow but efficient and more stable is far superior than being fast but less efficient and less stable.

Not necessarily. The good offenses can have average defense (which, in my mind, should always lead to victories) but the defensive teams still somehow outscore. It's a wild effect. I keep valuing great offenses with average defense over great defenses with average offense, but I guess I'm wrong...
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#5 » by Chinook » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 am

MovieMuscle wrote:
Chinook wrote:It's because the "good defenses" are often accompanied by efficient offense, while the "good offenses" are accompanied by poor D. Bill Russell said that the game of basketball has always been, and will always be, about buckets. There are multiple ways to go about winning the bucket battle, and being slow but efficient and more stable is far superior than being fast but less efficient and less stable.

Not necessarily. The good offenses can have average defense (which, in my mind, should always lead to victories) but the defensive teams still somehow outscore. It's a wild effect. I keep valuing great offenses with average defense over great defenses with average offense, but I guess I'm wrong...

I guess it really depends on what metric you use. Pace is almost completely irrelevant in a game, and a lot of "good offenses" rely on it both for raw points and for rhythm. The Spurs, for example, usually have a pretty good offense (in the top 10 if not top five), when adjusting for pace. A run-and-gun team isn't likely to have any real advantage there, which is why MDA has always lost to Pop.
MovieMuscle
Starter

Post#6 » by MovieMuscle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:59 am

Chinook wrote:
MovieMuscle wrote:

I guess it really depends on what metric you use. Pace is almost completely irrelevant in a game, and a lot of "good offenses" rely on it both for raw points and for rhythm. The Spurs, for example, usually have a pretty good offense (in the top 10 if not top five), when adjusting for pace. A run-and-gun team isn't likely to have any real advantage there, which is why MDA has always lost to Pop.

Yeah, I guess, the Spurs wasn't a good example, but Jazz and Grizzlies don't really have a lot of firepower or offensive credibility on paper, and yet, they just somehow lock down these seemingly unstoppable offenses every time...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#7 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 am

Sometimes the best defense cannot stop good offense. Shots go in, then you have to just eat it. But I don't think you can win it all without having at least an adequate defense to make stops when you need to.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#8 » by KqWIN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 am

Not this again :banghead: People still haven't figured out that the team with more points wins...100% of the time.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#9 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 am

KqWIN wrote:Not this again :banghead: People still haven't figured out that the team with more points wins...100% of the time.

so if you reduce the other team's points you win?
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Re: RE: Re: Defense beats Offense? 

Post#10 » by Rockmaninoff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:32 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Not this again :banghead: People still haven't figured out that the team with more points wins...100% of the time.

Only if you can do that and score more than them.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#11 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:35 am

I don't think good defenses are boring to watch at all, I freaking love it.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Defense beats Offense? 

Post#12 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

Only if you can do that and score more than them.

so if I hold them to less points than what I normally score I win :D
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#13 » by Lalouie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 am

Is it that or is it that so few teams play good defense that it's hard to adjust to. And maybe with the majority of teams playing average defense, there's an adjustment to the mean. Defense is a lot of work and most good players are greyhounds and not workhorses. Maybe that's taking the path of least resistance
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:I don't think good defenses are boring to watch at all, I freaking love it.

Same here
Other people love watching buzzer beaters and dunks, I'm chasing highlights of blocks & steals, like Lebron's chase down block on Iguodala or KD blocking it at the board twice, once with each hand
Or a guard fighting to box out a 7 footer and managing to get the rebound
Or a big switching to a guard and forcing a bad shot, like Love to Curry at the 3 pt line when they won the ring
Or Giannis getting 3 stops singlehandedly the other day to win the game Vs Portland
Or Utah's masterful strategy and rotations

Good D is a thing of beauty.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#15 » by Coxy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:10 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:I don't think good defenses are boring to watch at all, I freaking love it.

Word.

I am a defence nutter.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#16 » by Rust_Cohle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am

Same here which is why I find it sad how we have such few amazing defensive teams and so many teams who wanna chuck 50 threes a night like the Rockets who are brutal to watch sometimes.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#17 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 am

Given both are good offensive team? Yes, the team with better defense should win.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#18 » by Lava Rock Kid » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 am

Well golden state was number one in offense and defense last year. I think you need to be elite in both areas.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#19 » by stilldropin20 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am

other worldly defense played by multiple long athletes like that from the mid 90's bulls leads to many fast breaks which in turn leads to elite offense.

whether it be gambling wings like 90's bulls and 2011-2014 miami. or an elite shot blocker/ rebounder like russell also create fast breaks so long as guards and wings leak out.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#20 » by SlowPaced » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

Great defensive team going up against great offensive team is the most fun thing in basketball. Defensive teams aren't boring at all, 04 Pistons were among the most fun teams to watch in NBA history.

Return to The General Board