Best PG in the East this year?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Best Point Guard in the East this year

Kemba Walker
11%
John Wall
46%
Kyrie Irving
31%
Isaiah Thomas
3%
Kyle Lowry
6%
Goran Dragic
3%

Total votes: 440

ShowYaLuv25
Junior
And1: 525

Re: Best PG in the East this year? 

Post#181 » by ShowYaLuv25 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 4:42 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:Ben Simmons.

This
Agnostifarian wrote:I am going on record here that, IMO, Noah Vonleh will be a five+ year all-star and be one of the top 5 PFs in the league for that stretch and possibly longer.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#182 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Nov 2, 2017 4:58 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
romeiroceltic wrote:No doubt it is John Wall. He's playing better than everyone else (PGs) on the East.

Kemba is pretty clearly outplaying Wall thus far. That's not to say Wall isn't capable of turning his season around rather quickly, but he's sporting the lowest TS% (48.3!) of his career right now. Defensively, Wall has fallen off far enough that he needs to be good on the offensive end to be the best.

You also stated Frank the tank is clearly a better player than Devon Booker and Frank has more trade value too. So there is that.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#183 » by Pennebaker » Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:09 am

SamSepiol wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:
And it's 7 games. Wall, Irving, Thomas, and Lowry have all been better in previous seasons than Kemba so he needs to prove it over 82 games.

"Best Point Guard in the East this year"

That's the title of the thread. The answer is LeBron, but a distant 2nd is Kemba.

And the title of the thread says “Point GUARD”. Funny you’d mention the title and then say Lebron. :roll:

Well LeBron has started at point guard several times this season. He's actually been the team's defacto point guard the entire season. And Kemba and Kyrie play more like small shooting guards from the PG spot anyway, so why can't James be a large point guard from the SF spot?

LeBron is 4th in the league in assists per game and 7th in points per game. He's the only player in the East top 10 in both, and he's top 2 in the East in efficiency. Clearly he's the best point guard AND the best small forward in the Eastern Conference.
Sphynx
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#184 » by Sphynx » Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:54 am

Where's the Simmons option?

Could legit be in the conversation by the end of the year.

Averaging 9 assists a game over the last 5.
Sphynx
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#185 » by Sphynx » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:01 am

phanman wrote:People need to learn to read... OP and thread is for THIS SEASON... with that out of the way it's clearly a toss up between Kyrie or Walker. Both guys have been amazing out the gate and absolutely crucial for both teams. Boston lost Hayward and Charlotte still has no back up PG or any other play maker to organize the offense with Batum out.

Kyrie: 21.7pts, 5.7ast, 3.7reb, 2.4stl, 2.6tov on 44/34/92 or 54.3%TS in 34.6mpg with 18.4FGA

Kemba: 24.4pts, 6.4ast, 3.9reb, 0.9stl, 2.6tov on 46/39/91 or 62.4%TS in 34.9mpg with 16FGA

Kyrie has actually had a positive influence on the defensive end with an on/off DRTG being 7.4pts better and 8.5 pts better overall.

Walker's numbers have just been unreal, as evidenced by the lack of backups in Charlotte. 12.9pts better DRTG & 33pts better ORTG for a net impact of 45.9.

Simmons is 18.5pts, 8 asts, 9.6reb, 1.5stl, 3.3tov 53% TS with in 34.8 with 14.4 FGA

He's in the conversation on the assists alone.
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,141

Post#186 » by UNCBlue012 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:07 am

Sphynx wrote:
phanman wrote:People need to learn to read... OP and thread is for THIS SEASON... with that out of the way it's clearly a toss up between Kyrie or Walker. Both guys have been amazing out the gate and absolutely crucial for both teams. Boston lost Hayward and Charlotte still has no back up PG or any other play maker to organize the offense with Batum out.

Kyrie: 21.7pts, 5.7ast, 3.7reb, 2.4stl, 2.6tov on 44/34/92 or 54.3%TS in 34.6mpg with 18.4FGA

Kemba: 24.4pts, 6.4ast, 3.9reb, 0.9stl, 2.6tov on 46/39/91 or 62.4%TS in 34.9mpg with 16FGA

Kyrie has actually had a positive influence on the defensive end with an on/off DRTG being 7.4pts better and 8.5 pts better overall.

Walker's numbers have just been unreal, as evidenced by the lack of backups in Charlotte. 12.9pts better DRTG & 33pts better ORTG for a net impact of 45.9.

Simmons is 18.5pts, 8 asts, 9.6reb, 1.5stl, 3.3tov 53% TS with in 34.8 with 14.4 FGA

9.6 rebounds is a pretty incredible stat for a PG. Dude most definitely is in the conversation.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#187 » by Froob » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:11 am

Kyrie has surprisingly been a great defender this season, leads the league in steals.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#188 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:21 am

Cant believe it took 9 pages before anyone looked at the stats rather than just saying "JOHN WALL AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE" despite how poor of a start Wall is off to.

Another big game for KEMBA tonight. How many more games does he need to be taken seriously? One...Two.... FOUR?!
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#189 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:24 am

Sphynx wrote:

I didn't include him because he's a point forward. But Simmons is having a great rookie year. It would be tough to form a serious argument that he's better than Kemba though. The discrepancy in TS% is too great.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#190 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:31 am

HoopsMalone wrote:I didn't include him because he's a point forward. But Simmons is having a great rookie year. It would be tough to form a serious argument that he's better than Kemba though. The discrepancy in TS% is too great.

I don’t mind him not being included so early into his career, but he’s legitimately playing PG now.

Starting line-up is:
PG Simmons
SG Redick
SF Covington
PF Saric
C Embiid
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#191 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:45 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:I didn't include him because he's a point forward. But Simmons is having a great rookie year. It would be tough to form a serious argument that he's better than Kemba though. The discrepancy in TS% is too great.

I don’t mind him not being included so early into his career, but he’s legitimately playing PG now.

Starting line-up is:
PG Simmons
SG Redick
SF Covington
PF Saric
C Embiid

Ah, I wasn't aware they'd shuffled the lineup. I still don't think he will end up being the BEST PG in the East this year so its okay if he's not in the poll. If it helps people feel free to think of this as the best traditional PG under 6'6 in the Eastern Conf this year.

Most people aren't taking the thread seriously anyway, I wish I'd put a "JOHN WALL AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE BRO" option so we could filter out the uninformed votes.
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#192 » by sweetlou23 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:51 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

I didn't include him because he's a point forward. But Simmons is having a great rookie year. It would be tough to form a serious argument that he's better than Kemba though. The discrepancy in TS% is too great.

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/ben_simmons_vs_kemba_walker.htm
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#193 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:00 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/ben_simmons_vs_kemba_walker.htm

I'm gonna need to see it next in pie graphs to reach a determination
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#194 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:42 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:

Starting line-up is:
PG Simmons
SG Redick
SF Covington
PF Saric
C Embiid

Ah, I wasn't aware they'd shuffled the lineup. I still don't think he will end up being the BEST PG in the East this year so its okay if he's not in the poll. If it helps people feel free to think of this as the best traditional PG under 6'6 in the Eastern Conf this year.

Most people aren't taking the thread seriously anyway, I wish I'd put a "JOHN WALL AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE BRO" option so we could filter out the uninformed votes.

This makes no sense. PG isn’t about height. Why qualify it by saying 6’6 and under? Simmons is a PG not point forward. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to realize this. Him being 6’10 shouldn’t factor whether he should be included in the poll. PGs can be any height you want.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#195 » by DK-All Day » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:50 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:I don’t mind him not being included so early into his career, but he’s legitimately playing PG now.

Starting line-up is:
PG Simmons
SG Redick
SF Covington
PF Saric
C Embiid

This makes no sense. PG isn’t about height. Why qualify it by saying 6’6 and under? Simmons is a PG not point forward. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to realize this. Him being 6’10 shouldn’t factor whether he should be included in the poll. PGs can be any height you want.

Magic was 6’9.

And to the question, Kemba so far.
Handsome.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#196 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:54 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:Ah, I wasn't aware they'd shuffled the lineup. I still don't think he will end up being the BEST PG in the East this year so its okay if he's not in the poll. If it helps people feel free to think of this as the best traditional PG under 6'6 in the Eastern Conf this year.

That's moving the goalposts unless the purpose of the thread is to pat Kemba on the back by eliminating better options.

Simmons needs to be on the conversation for Best point guard in the East. If he adds range to his game we're suddenly looking at a GOAT type player.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#197 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Nov 2, 2017 1:42 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:Ah, I wasn't aware they'd shuffled the lineup. I still don't think he will end up being the BEST PG in the East this year so its okay if he's not in the poll. If it helps people feel free to think of this as the best traditional PG under 6'6 in the Eastern Conf this year.

That's moving the goalposts unless the purpose of the thread is to pat Kemba on the back by eliminating better options.

Simmons needs to be on the conversation for Best point guard in the East. If he adds range to his game we're suddenly looking at a GOAT type player.

He's played too few games to call and has mostly been good agaisnt below average defenses. Too soon to call him a GOAT-type player even if he had a jumpshot. I hate LeBron but he has 3 titles and countless Finals appearences and most agree he isn't the GOAT. Let them make the playoffs, maybe make the Finals eventually... Great talent tho.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#198 » by eagereyez » Thu Nov 2, 2017 1:57 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:

He's played too few games to call and has mostly been good agaisnt below average defenses. Too soon to call him a GOAT-type player even if he had a jumpshot. I hate LeBron but he has 3 titles and countless Finals appearences and most agree he isn't the GOAT. Let them make the playoffs, maybe make the Finals eventually... Great talent tho.

"Best PG in the East this year." It doesn't matter how few games he's played when we're only talking about the current year. He blows all the other Eastern PGs away in rebounds and is only trailing Wall in assists. Not to mention defensively he's been good. Simmons absolutely deserves to be in the conversation, although I think Kemba and Kyrie have been better.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#199 » by Zombiesonics » Thu Nov 2, 2017 1:58 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

:lol: this stat site is useless. Simmons is an impressive rookie but walker is flat out playing like a top 10 nba player.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#200 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:07 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:That's moving the goalposts unless the purpose of the thread is to pat Kemba on the back by eliminating better options.

"Best PG in the East this year." It doesn't matter how few games he's played when we're only talking about the current year. He blows all the other Eastern PGs away in rebounds and is only trailing Wall in assists. Not to mention defensively he's been good. Simmons absolutely deserves to be in the conversation, although I think Kemba and Kyrie have been better.

That's a horrible comparasion. He's 6'10. I think Kemba's been the best so far. Wall probably is the best, but he's been up and down. Kyrie has made huge strides. The guy is not a PG, he's a forward regardless of where they start him, he's been guarded by SF/PFs. So I really don't consider him a PG. I haven't checked how has his defense been? Too lazy to open b-ball ref.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to The General Board