Kevin Durant: " I'm not a leader, I don't want to be a Leader "

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,338

Re: Kevin Durant: " I'm not a leader, I don't want to be a Leader " 

Post#201 » by Patches Perry » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:36 pm

MC3 wrote:Dude won a ring, finals MVP and he is likely in worst mental state ever. I do feel sorry for him. Nobody respects him. And nobody really should. You know when they say money can't buy you a happiness. With KD it's true. Fake rings clearly can't. I hope guy gets help and talks to somebody. Cause this will eat him alive.

On other hand he is still a b***.

This is true in part - The happiness, fulfillment and respect is in the journey. If you don't really earn something and take shortcuts, then you can't fully appreciate it, and people don't respect what you have. Being born spoiled with money and working your way towards it over many years will generate two entirely different mind states, and two entirely different perceptions of you from other people, even though the objective reality is the same.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#202 » by Laimbeer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm

So what? It's not his DNA. He's being honest. Some guys just aren't alpha.

He went to a place where he could play a brand of basketball he wanted and win titles. This is a perfect example of someone who should stop worrying about what other people think. It's not like he was ever GOAT material.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#203 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm

dynamic duo wrote:
MC3 wrote:Dude won a ring, finals MVP and he is likely in worst mental state ever. I do feel sorry for him. Nobody respects him. And nobody really should. You know when they say money can't buy you a happiness. With KD it's true. Fake rings clearly can't. I hope guy gets help and talks to somebody. Cause this will eat him alive.

the most worthless ring ever won by a player of his caliber in any sports.

The hate is strong within you.

The 12th man sitting on the bench, who never plays and got a ring, you could call that most worthless. Durant played a large part in the winning.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#204 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm

How's he a bitch? I'd say someone on a message board making assumptions about someone's mental state is more of a bitch.

You have no idea what his mental state is. He could very well be really happy. He went to a team, that plays a great brand of basketball, and is winning. Everyone should be so lucky to get to work for the company (or team) that they want too.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#205 » by Richard Miller » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Fair enough, and nothing wrong with that. Leaders are often overrated anyway, just look at the president. :P
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,522

Post#206 » by 1993Playoffs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Guys would kill LeBron if he blew a 3-1 lead to the 73 win team then joined said team
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,812

Post#207 » by KingDavid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Takes a bit of courage to be this honest with yourself, publically. I don't understand the negative connotation behind this.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#208 » by joeyAdaMan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 pm

People need to chill out with the name calling too....calling the dude a coward, pussy, and a bitch when you most certainly wouldn't say that to the mans face.....that's being a pussy TBH....when comparing him to all-time greats(like Lebron for example)...I get it....this move SHOULD be held against him and factored in because people like to just look at ring count without context.....but all the dude is really guilty of is doing what was best for his self/family....which is what we all should do
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
Kahn_2001
Starter
And1: 2,191

Post#209 » by Kahn_2001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 pm

At least he knows he's a coward and accepts it.
credit: TurboZone
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#210 » by Flash4thewin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 pm

If I’m Nike I’d be so pissed at him. It hurts his marketing appeal thus the bottom line. Nothing wrong with him not being a leader but you don’t freaking say it on record. Common sense 101 here.
ThunderTime
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#211 » by ThunderTime » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
ThunderTime wrote:
baldur wrote:
sonics have more legacy than okc could ever have in your lifetime.

Im still young 8-) We can beat that 1 championship they won.

Well, aren't you a peach! :roll:

hugs and kisses bb :kiss
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Re: RE: Re: Kevin Durant: " I'm not a leader, I don't want to be a Leader " 

Post#212 » by mccluskey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am

Curry 2 KD wrote:
NotReady wrote:
Curry 2 KD wrote:
Because at that point he would have surpassed LeBron. Nobody stays on top forever.

So then you're saying history (not me, not you, but just like history in general, in your eyes) would say that Durant was better because he beat LeBron...with Curry? While saying he wasn't a leader?

Again, I'm not big on narratives and Durant is an all time great player. Durant would be at least a top 30 player whether or not he ever won a ring. But you can't give him the narrative credit of winning the rings and doing it against LeBron without losing the narrative credit of doing it with Curry and saying he's not The Man.

Like I'm all for saying **** narratives. But if you're gonna accept some of the narrative, you're gonna have to accept it all, ya know?

Who gives a damn what KD said about being a leader.

Hes a leader by default no matter how he views himself.

You think if Jordan said "im not a leader" but lead his team to 6 titles as the best player regardless that people would say "he isnt the goat"?

Anytime you are a winner, and are the best player, you are a leader by deafault. Period.

If you're gonna be a leader, any type of leader, whether by example, vocally, whatever, you have to have the nuts to step up at some point when your team needs you and accept "this one's on me and I'm responsible for making it happen." Durant flat out said he can't or won't take responsibility for being that guy, so no, he's no kind of a leader at all.

He's still a great player but mentally seems to be maybe one of the weakest dudes ever at his level of talent. I don't hate the guy or anything, but it's tough for me to respect a man like that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Curry 2 KD
Senior
And1: 512

Re: RE: Re: Kevin Durant: 

Post#213 » by Curry 2 KD » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:06 am

mccluskey wrote:
Curry 2 KD wrote:
NotReady wrote:
So then you're saying history (not me, not you, but just like history in general, in your eyes) would say that Durant was better because he beat LeBron...with Curry? While saying he wasn't a leader?

Again, I'm not big on narratives and Durant is an all time great player. Durant would be at least a top 30 player whether or not he ever won a ring. But you can't give him the narrative credit of winning the rings and doing it against LeBron without losing the narrative credit of doing it with Curry and saying he's not The Man.

Like I'm all for saying **** narratives. But if you're gonna accept some of the narrative, you're gonna have to accept it all, ya know?

You think if Jordan said "im not a leader" but lead his team to 6 titles as the best player regardless that people would say "he isnt the goat"?

Anytime you are a winner, and are the best player, you are a leader by deafault. Period.
If you're gonna be a leader, any type of leader, whether by example, vocally, whatever, you have to have the nuts to step up at some point when your team needs you and accept "this one's on me and I'm responsible for making it happen." Durant flat out said he can't or won't take responsibility for being that guy.

He's still a great player but mentally seems to be maybe one of the weakest dudes ever at his level of talent. I don't hate the guy or anything, but man it's tough for me to respect somebody like that.

Weakest dudes ever at his level of talent???

He just destroyed LeBron in 5 games and lead his team to a title averaging 35 pts against the “goat”.

If anything hes the best to ever do it at his talent level. Hes even getting better becoming a rim protector and elite defender this year. What are you smoking?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#214 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 am

ThunderTime wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
ThunderTime wrote:
Im still young 8-) We can beat that 1 championship they won.

Well, aren't you a peach! :roll:

I still hate the Thunder with all my heart! Your punk *** owner is number one on my kill Hate list. Always will!

Go Warriors!!! :winkgrin:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#215 » by Moonbeam » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 am

Nothing wrong with this. Happy with Durant (or any other player) being honest with who they are and refusing to adapt to a mold that doesn't fit.
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#216 » by Star-Lord » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 am

I miss Sonics fans.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#217 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 am

CCIIIs Hair wrote:I miss Sonics fans.

We're still around. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Re: RE: Re: Kevin Durant: 

Post#218 » by HollowEarth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 am

mccluskey wrote:
Curry 2 KD wrote:
NotReady wrote:

If you're gonna be a leader, any type of leader, whether by example, vocally, whatever, you have to have the nuts to step up at some point when your team needs you and accept "this one's on me and I'm responsible for making it happen." Durant flat out said he can't or won't take responsibility for being that guy, so no, he's no kind of a leader at all.

He's still a great player but mentally seems to be maybe one of the weakest dudes ever at his level of talent. I don't hate the guy or anything, but it's tough for me to respect a man like that.

This doesn't change my view on his play, or make it so that I can't watch the Warriors, but it's something about KD that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I used to work part time at a grocery store and I had a manager that had a similar personality to KD, and I couldn't stand it. She was always so concerned with appearances, that there was a fog of dishonesty around everything she said. She wanted credit for anything possible, and was quick to throw us under the bus when upper management came around. And because she was in theory a leader, it kind of sabotaged our ability to get anything done. We'd ask her questions, but since she didn't want to be held accountable, we never ever got a straight answer. And reading KD's statement, I'm thinking that despite all of my loathing for this person, she was probably alright as a human being; she just probably didn't have the emotional ability to lead.
ThunderTime
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#219 » by ThunderTime » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
ThunderTime wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Well, aren't you a peach! :roll:

I still hate the Thunder with all my heart! Your punk *** owner is number one on my kill Hate list. Always will!

Go Warriors!!! :winkgrin:

I still love you with all my heart! Hugs and kisses!
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#220 » by CS707 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:48 am

I personally find it amusing that the people here criticizing KD for being concerned about his public perception are the same ones making sure to work a little nugget of themselves in every KD bashing post to make sure we all know how cool and alpha they are.

Return to The General Board