How Much Is Marcus Smart Worth?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Kool_Name_Right
Senior
And1: 513

Re: How Much Is Marcus Smart Worth? 

Post#61 » by Kool_Name_Right » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

I trust in Ainge if we can't reach a number that's good for both parties he'd be shipped out by the deadline
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#62 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am

Kool_Name_Right wrote:I trust in Ainge if we can't reach a number that's good for both parties he'd be shipped out by the deadline

? You already missed the extension deadline. There's no "reaching a number" now... he'll take the highest offer he can get elsewhere and ask the celtics to match it
Kool_Name_Right
Senior
And1: 513

Re: RE: Re: How Much Is Marcus Smart Worth? 

Post#63 » by Kool_Name_Right » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:35 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
Kool_Name_Right wrote:I trust in Ainge if we can't reach a number that's good for both parties he'd be shipped out by the deadline

? You already missed the extension deadline. There's no "reaching a number" now... he'll take the highest offer he can get elsewhere and ask the celtics to match it

Or he'll be shipped out, look at Bradley.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#64 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:41 am

Kool_Name_Right wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

Smart is a free agent
jordan0386
Senior
And1: 570

Post#65 » by jordan0386 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:41 am

60-70m
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#66 » by jpengland » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 am

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
jpengland wrote:He is Horrific offensively. Truly horrific.

He's a situational defensive player. I wouldn't oay him more than 5m. he likely gets 9-10 from the Celtics though.

That's just wrong. He's a horrific shooter/scorer, no doubt. But he creates for others, he spaces well, he screens, he crashes the glass, and he hits FTs.

I posted this above; you might want to read it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/marcus-smart-shooting-percentage-stats-boston-celtics-vs-golden-state-warriors/

The Celtics are significantly worse offensively with Smart on the floor.

Yes he just about makes up for that defensively, but outside of Stevens system I doubt that would be the case.

By just about every measure he's a terrible, terrible offensive player.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#67 » by Young_Star11 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 am

If he leaves Boston, I can just see him not being a great fit at all with his new team.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,959

Post#68 » by Optms » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

How is he such a bad shooter after seasons in the league? In Brad Steven's house?

He is shooting even worse this season. Cannot even comprehend it. Thank goodness he has other skills to fall back on.
casketball
Senior
And1: 405

Post#69 » by casketball » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:39 pm

wafer88 wrote:Not sure about a dollar amount as other factors such as how many teams have capspace, the market, etc are going to define how much he gets, and with Boston being over the cap and Bradley gone, they can't really afford to lose him, so he might get more than he's "worth".

Regarding him as a player, I think due to the injuries Boston has had, he's had to take on a bigger offensive role than what's reasonable for him. He is a terrible shooter, but a big reason for his %'s being this down is his role. He isn't a worse shooter than say Tony Allen, and he has decent creating abilities. He just needs to be encouraged to play within his capabilities on that end, while continuing to improve his shooting (his form isn't terrible by any means).

Defensively, he's a monster. He can guard the 1-3 with ease imo, of course other than the KD's and Lebron's in the world. All in all, I see him as a MLE level player overall, but do his to young age, I think "fair" value for him is around 10-12 million. I think he might just get a contract up to 16m a year, an Boston would have no choice to match. Anything more and you're really crippling your future, even if you're Boston, unless you're confident that you have all the necessary pieces to win and aren't anticipating a FA retool in the near future, because even a 16m contract is going to be tough to move imo.

See, the thing is, I'm a huge fan of Bradley. He's Smart on defense while being exactly what you want on offense. I know he's due for a big pay raise next year, but so is Smart, and I think the difference in the $ would be well worth it to have Bradley rather than Smart, as both pretty much max you out cap wise, but Bradley is a better piece for a championship. I know they needed the space for Hayward, but if they could have traded Smart for a pick or a smaller contract than someone like Morris, they would have been still been fine cap wise, while retaining Bradley and his bird rights. Then you have one of Tatum or Brown coming off the bench when Hayward returns, and pretty much have a great starting 5 with decent assets to build the bench .

All Celtics fans loved Bradley and he is probably a better perimeter defender but Smart is more versatile on defense. One of my favorite Celtics moments of the last few years is when Smart shut Millsap down in the fourth for a playoff win. Bradley could not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#70 » by BasketballFan7 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:49 pm

FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#71 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

jpengland wrote:
jpengland wrote:He is Horrific offensively. Truly horrific.

He's a situational defensive player. I wouldn't oay him more than 5m. he likely gets 9-10 from the Celtics though.

That's just wrong. He's a horrific shooter/scorer, no doubt. But he creates for others, he spaces well, he screens, he crashes the glass, and he hits FTs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/marcus-smart-shooting-percentage-stats-boston-celtics-vs-golden-state-warriors/

Yes he just about makes up for that defensively, but outside of Stevens system I doubt that would be the case.

I mean, the article says the opposite but hey, you watched a couple games on TNT and see he has bad stats, so let's defer to you.

Also, if you think he wouldn't be an incredible defender for any coach, you're nuts. I take it back, it seems like you haven't watched him play at all. He's a beast defensively. Brad Stevens doesn't make him fight through screens harder than anyone else in the NBA; that's all him.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#72 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

casketball wrote:
wafer88 wrote:Not sure about a dollar amount as other factors such as how many teams have capspace, the market, etc are going to define how much he gets, and with Boston being over the cap and Bradley gone, they can't really afford to lose him, so he might get more than he's "worth".

Regarding him as a player, I think due to the injuries Boston has had, he's had to take on a bigger offensive role than what's reasonable for him. He is a terrible shooter, but a big reason for his %'s being this down is his role. He isn't a worse shooter than say Tony Allen, and he has decent creating abilities. He just needs to be encouraged to play within his capabilities on that end, while continuing to improve his shooting (his form isn't terrible by any means).

Defensively, he's a monster. He can guard the 1-3 with ease imo, of course other than the KD's and Lebron's in the world. All in all, I see him as a MLE level player overall, but do his to young age, I think "fair" value for him is around 10-12 million. I think he might just get a contract up to 16m a year, an Boston would have no choice to match. Anything more and you're really crippling your future, even if you're Boston, unless you're confident that you have all the necessary pieces to win and aren't anticipating a FA retool in the near future, because even a 16m contract is going to be tough to move imo.

See, the thing is, I'm a huge fan of Bradley. He's Smart on defense while being exactly what you want on offense. I know he's due for a big pay raise next year, but so is Smart, and I think the difference in the $ would be well worth it to have Bradley rather than Smart, as both pretty much max you out cap wise, but Bradley is a better piece for a championship. I know they needed the space for Hayward, but if they could have traded Smart for a pick or a smaller contract than someone like Morris, they would have been still been fine cap wise, while retaining Bradley and his bird rights. Then you have one of Tatum or Brown coming off the bench when Hayward returns, and pretty much have a great starting 5 with decent assets to build the bench .

All Celtics fans loved Bradley and he is probably a better perimeter defender but Smart is more versatile on defense. One of my favorite Celtics moments of the last few years is when Smart shut Millsap down in the fourth for a playoff win. Bradley could not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I prefer Smart to Bradley, particularly if Smart can stop taking dumb shots. I love Avery but he's a 6'2" SG who has no ball-handling or passing skills. I've given up hope that Smart can be an effective scorer, but if he can improve his shot selection, his size, PG skills and defensive prowess (he can guard 1-3 with ease and 4s as needed) make him much more valuable than Avery, IMO.

I'm happy to see Bradley flourishing in DET, though. Great guy. Plays hard. Improved his shooting. Not an ounce of drama.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#73 » by Hindenburg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:57 pm

If he had a reliable 3 point shot, he'd be a near max player. His defense is already elite.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#74 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:They should keep him if he only demands Roberson money. IMO he will get more. Closer to 12M. Roberson got 10M and all he can do is rebound, defend and run the court. Smart can rebound, defend, run the court, hit FT's and handle the ball. He is a bit more versatile than Roberson, and will demand a bit more money.

These 8M per ideas are nuts. He will get more.

Roberson gets easy buckets, smart does not. Thus Roberson is an efficient scorer and smart is not. Roberson is an athletic runner cutter who is good at finishing at the rim.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#75 » by jpengland » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:27 pm

jpengland wrote:

I mean, the article says the opposite but hey, you watched a couple games on TNT and see he has bad stats, so let's defer to you.

Also, if you think he wouldn't be an incredible defender for any coach, you're nuts. I take it back, it seems like you haven't watched him play at all. He's a beast defensively. Brad Stevens doesn't make him fight through screens harder than anyone else in the NBA; that's all him.

I have seen him. I have seen the stats too. The stats say that the Celtics are a significantly worse offensive team with him on the court.

I think he is a fantastic defensive player. He would be in any system. My point is that if he's a terrible offensive player in a Stevens system, he's likely to be even worse offensively elsewhere.

I have said before and will say again, he's a Tony Allen like player. A situational role player. I'm not paying a guy like that much money.

I like him. I really do. But a guard that can't shoot and can't consistently get by his man and score at the rim is a massive issue on offense. Especially when he's not a floor general, either.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#76 » by karkinos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

^agree. great situational role player to have as an asset especially when it comes to playoffs to be a neutralizer to an opponent's star scorer. i think the only teams that might pay a premium are contending ones. it would be intriguing to see a super small ball lineup with him on a team like houston.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,341

Post#77 » by PierceFan4ever » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:40 pm

He's one of the best defensive guards I've ever seen and was the reason why I didn't mind losing Bradley all that much because Marcus is even better defensively. He's a pretty good playmaker, probably 3rd best right now behind Irving and Horford and is a decent free throw shooter. Offensively he's terrible, I don't think he's as bad as he is right now which is a new low shooting wise but he's still below average shooter and scorer. Stevens trusts him a lot and it's not surprising to see why he plays 30 minutes off the bench if you don't focus on his stat sheet instead focus on all the other intangibles he brings. Many Celtics fans are divided mostly due to his shooting but I think he would be a pretty big loss for the Celtics should he go elsewhere and I don't think Smart would have the same success and the same trust he has with Stevens as he would for other coaches. I'm sure Ainge would offer him a contract but I don't see him paying Smart more than 12-13 million a year and even then I'm not sure that's enough to keep Smart on the team because I feel someone is going to pay him.
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#78 » by Anti Chalmers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:44 pm

12-14 mil seems right for a good role player. That’s the price now.
711takeover
Veteran
And1: 2,135

Post#79 » by 711takeover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:44 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
Kool_Name_Right wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

Smart is a free agent

You know you're allowed to trade players during the season right?
MEGAQUIB
Junior
And1: 194

Post#80 » by MEGAQUIB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Anything more than $12 million per season is not worth it. He’s a nice 4th or 5th starter.

Return to The General Board