New Seattle Arena

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Re: New Seattle Arena 

Post#181 » by Bill Pidto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 am

2 things:

They will hopefully relocate a team instead of expand the league.

And they HAVE to name the team the Sonics.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#182 » by Sign5 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am

dautjazz wrote:
Sign5 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
Can we put Utah to the East? Suddenly we are 3rd or 4th easily. :-)

They'd currently be out of the playoffs in the east :lol:

Not really Utah would have had a much easier schedule in the East.
they wouldn't because the east this year is stronger overall than the west. This isnt pre 2016.
unclewai
Sophomore
And1: 353

Post#183 » by unclewai » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am

I must be one of the few loyal fans who supported the 03/04 season with starting lineup consists of Calvin 'the stationary phone' Booth, Flip 'the switch' murray and Vladimir 'not peja' Radmanovic.
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

Post#184 » by JimboSlice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm

whatisacenter wrote:as long as they rock the old uniforms and all the players wear this hairstyle, I am down!

Thou Shalt Not Shave
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,563

Post#185 » by The KnicksFix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm

we need the sonics again, the nba needs them
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,563

Post#186 » by The KnicksFix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm

GP + Kemp were the days
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#187 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:And they HAVE to name the team the Sonics.

They will, Bill. :nod:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New Seattle Arena 

Post#188 » by nomansland » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
nomansland wrote:Just as a sample scenario, let's say an NHL team comes, they start to get traction and actually become promising and fun to watch in 4 years, like the Thunder did in Oklahoma. Along comes an NBA expansion team and everyone is like, "cool." But NBA expansion franchises struggle due to the talent disparity. It could take 6 years of "the process" before they even come close to the playoffs. By then only hardcore hoops fans will still be watching. Meanwhile that NHL team could have taken off. And I don't care what anyone says, Seattle fans tend to be fair-weather.

You put a decent product together & the fans show up (Sounders/Hawks). Good to Very Good = sell outs. Mariners= mix bag.

But, this really isn't different than any other city.

Sure. Fans are enthusiastic if the product is entertaining, and you're right that's not much different from a lot of places. And that's really how it should be, unless you're a die hard who likes the up-and-down drama. But let's not sugarcoat things either- if a Sonics team came to Seattle and struggled for a long time, having a reasonably successful NHL team would eclipse them even more. If the Mariners had a competing pro sport in the summer they'd be dead.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#189 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm

nomansland wrote: If the Mariners had a competing pro sport in the summer they'd be dead.

:lol: Let's be realistic here.
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#190 » by WC NBA Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Sothron wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:Good news. Hope the Seattle fans get a new team soon. They were/are some of the classiest fans on RealGM.

I agree. I also have to give a shout out to the Vancouver Grizzlies fans. They were the best community on realgm and the old espn.com message boards hands down. I miss talking Association with those cats.

Except for "Shawn Rocker" of course. Since you brought up the old espn message boards, I bet you know who I'm talking about. Plus the long haired guy who brought all the signs to the games. Good times indeed.
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#191 » by WC NBA Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Sothron wrote:Does Seattle still have the rights to the Sonics name/logo etc? I thought they had to have a new team in Seattle by a certain year in order to keep those things.

Yes, they have the rights to the name. That's why people didn't want the arena in the suburbs. Seattle had the right to the name & a team in the suburbs may have had to use a different name. Regardless, it's all moot now. A new Seattle team will be called the Sonics.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#192 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:
Sothron wrote:Does Seattle still have the rights to the Sonics name/logo etc? I thought they had to have a new team in Seattle by a certain year in order to keep those things.

Yes, they have the rights to the name. That's why people didn't want the arena in the suburbs. Seattle had the right to the name & a team in the suburbs may have had to use a different name. Regardless, it's all moot now. A new Seattle team will be called the Sonics.

It doesnt matter where they play. They could play in Tacoma & they'd still be the Sonics.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#193 » by Sothron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:09 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:Good news. Hope the Seattle fans get a new team soon. They were/are some of the classiest fans on RealGM.

I agree. I also have to give a shout out to the Vancouver Grizzlies fans. They were the best community on realgm and the old espn.com message boards hands down. I miss talking Association with those cats.

Except for "Shawn Rocker" of course. Since you brought up the old espn message boards, I bet you know who I'm talking about. Plus the long haired guy who brought all the signs to the games. Good times indeed.

OMG I had forgotten about that guy until you said his name :lol: one of the first sports trolls I can remember
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#194 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Sonics must be a 70s thing.

Maybe a 60s thing with the space pro game and the anticipation of supersonic jetliners.

So Boeing influence?

Maybe they should consider Baskets or Primes since Amazon is so prominent now. ;)
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#195 » by Downtown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Sonics must be a 70s thing.

Maybe a 60s thing with the space pro game and the anticipation of supersonic jetliners.

So Boeing influence?

Maybe they should consider Baskets or Primes since Amazon is so prominent now. ;)

A 60's thing. 1967. The fans were asked to name the team and Boeing was working on a supersonic plane at the time.

I don't go back to that time but I remember as a young kid watching the likes of Spencer Haywood and Lenny Wilkens. I chose my realgm name from Freddy Brown.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#196 » by sule » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 pm

nomansland wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
nomansland wrote:Just as a sample scenario, let's say an NHL team comes, they start to get traction and actually become promising and fun to watch in 4 years, like the Thunder did in Oklahoma. Along comes an NBA expansion team and everyone is like, "cool." But NBA expansion franchises struggle due to the talent disparity. It could take 6 years of "the process" before they even come close to the playoffs. By then only hardcore hoops fans will still be watching. Meanwhile that NHL team could have taken off. And I don't care what anyone says, Seattle fans tend to be fair-weather.

You put a decent product together & the fans show up (Sounders/Hawks). Good to Very Good = sell outs. Mariners= mix bag.

Sure. Fans are enthusiastic if the product is entertaining, and you're right that's not much different from a lot of places. And that's really how it should be, unless you're a die hard who likes the up-and-down drama. But let's not sugarcoat things either- if a Sonics team came to Seattle and struggled for a long time, having a reasonably successful NHL team would eclipse them even more. If the Mariners had a competing pro sport in the summer they'd be dead.

I'd bet that's why the NHL has placed themselves in more non-traditional sporting markets, like Columbus, Vegas, etc. They want to establish themselves so if someone else comes along in the future, they'll already have established themselves as the main sport in town.

Vegas could be the one that's the real payoff. And if you checked the news a day or two ago, the NHL told Seattle to put their name in the next bidding process for a team. So, it seems the NHL is ready to expand into Seattle soon with the new arena going in. If they beat the NBA to get back in Seattle and be successful at marketing themselves, it could make it tricky for an NBA bid.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#197 » by sule » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 pm

So Boeing influence?

Just combine Starbucks with Amazon, and they'll be set. I, personally like: "Seattle Barista Prime" . :lol:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#198 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm

So Boeing influence?

Yes, that's what it was named after.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#199 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 pm

sule wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:You put a decent product together & the fans show up (Sounders/Hawks). Good to Very Good = sell outs. Mariners= mix bag.

I'd bet that's why the NHL has placed themselves in more non-traditional sporting markets, like Columbus, Vegas, etc. They want to establish themselves so if someone else comes along in the future, they'll already have established themselves as the main sport in town.

Vegas could be the one that's the real payoff. And if you checked the news a day or two ago, the NHL told Seattle to put their name in the next bidding process for a team. So, it seems the NHL is ready to expand into Seattle soon with the new arena going in. If they beat the NBA to get back in Seattle and be successful at marketing themselves, it could make it tricky for an NBA bid.

The plan is for both leagues. NHL first (2020 Expansion). Then the NBA at some point.

The NBA doesn't have to establish itself in the market. Because there already is a large contingent of Sonics/basketball fans in the area. The Sonics had support for more than 40 years after all.

Meanwhile, the NHL is still somewhat of an unknown. So, it makes sense to try & establish that sport first.

Also, ignore the Mariners talk potentially killing the NBA in Seattle. It wouldn't. The seasons don't really overlap one another.

Despite what some may say, there is still a strong desire for the NBA & the return of the Sonics to the area.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#200 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 pm

sule wrote:

So Boeing influence?

Just combine Starbucks with Amazon, and they'll be set. I, personally like: "Seattle Barista Prime" . :lol:

No. **** Starbucks. Fans would boycott.

Return to The General Board