Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Re: Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever? 

Post#21 » by SlowPaced » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:19 pm

E-Balla wrote:Difference is Demar improved to get to the level where he was putting up those types of numbers. Wiggins has been doing it since his rookie year and hasn't improved a lick in 4 years.

Wiggins put up 16.9 PPG in his rookie season, and 23.6 PPG with better efficiency in his third year. His all-around game didn't improve at all, but his scoring was improving with each year. This season he hasn't been able to get it going.

mademan wrote:Not a complete lost cause, but comparing him to Demar is disingenuous. It's rare a guy comes in as raw as DD and progresses to the point where they're one of the most skilled offensive wings. It's not impossible for Wiggins, but it's not likely at all.

Wiggins has plenty of skill, I wouldn't describe him as raw right now. He has other problems like shot selection, playmaking and defense. I don't see how it's a disingenious comparison, DeRozan had the exact same problems earlier on in his career.
WeTheOther
Senior
And1: 1,931

Post#22 » by WeTheOther » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:23 pm

Another week, another Andrew Wiggins sucks thread. Boy are they exciting with new insight every week...
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#23 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:27 pm

I think we need a thread: Andrew Wiggins, most picked on player ever?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:27 pm

SlowPaced wrote:It looks bad right now. His shot isn't falling, if his percentages improve he'll probably go back to where he was last year offensively. Defensively he's looking better, but he's just gone from awful to bad.

But it's not a lost cause just yet. DeMar DeRozan was putting up nearly identical numbers when he was Wiggins' age, I think there are clear parallels between the two players.

The problem isn't that he isn't playing well (although that's concerning), it's the fact that he hasn't progressed at all and in fact has regressed in a lot of ways. Despite having Butler this season to take some pressure off, he actually has the worst TS% of his career, and it's coming with a dip in volume scoring as well. It's bizarre.

Also:

Just terrible across the board with no signs of real, tangible improvement on a year-by-year basis save from going from awful to bad on defense like you said.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,289

Post#25 » by mademan » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:32 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Difference is Demar improved to get to the level where he was putting up those types of numbers. Wiggins has been doing it since his rookie year and hasn't improved a lick in 4 years.

Wiggins put up 16.9 PPG in his rookie season, and 23.6 PPG with better efficiency in his third year. His all-around game didn't improve at all, but his scoring was improving with each year. This season he hasn't been able to get it going.

mademan wrote:Not a complete lost cause, but comparing him to Demar is disingenuous. It's rare a guy comes in as raw as DD and progresses to the point where they're one of the most skilled offensive wings. It's not impossible for Wiggins, but it's not likely at all.

Wiggins has plenty of skill, I wouldn't describe him as raw right now. He has other problems like shot selection, playmaking and defense. I don't see how it's a disingenious comparison, DeRozan had the exact same problems earlier on in his career.

eh, maybe. The larger issue is that Demar has shown year over year improvement his entire career. Wiggins hasn't really gotten better at really anything besides taking more shots (last year).
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#26 » by pcbothwel » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:45 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Wiggins put up 16.9 PPG in his rookie season, and 23.6 PPG in his third year. His all-around game didn't improve at all, but his scoring was improving with each year. This season he hasn't been able to get it going.

How has his scoring improved? He is taking more shots, but he is less efficient. I would not call that an improvement.

And yes, He is certainly ONE of the worst "MAX" contract ever, but Arenas, Houston, Parsons, and Nic Batum were/are terrible as well.

One question, do we consider Max contracts where players were hurt during the contract. I.E. Rose, Hardaway, Roy, and Bosh. Not sure that would be quite fair.
Some may bring up Rashard Lewis, but he was really only bad on the back half. His 1st 3 years in Orlando he averaged 17 / 5 / 2 with a TS of 58%, an ORtg/DRtg of 113/104, a BPM of 3.7 and VORP of 4. Thats in the same range as Otto Porter now, or even some Prime Lamar Odom, Shane Battier, or even Paul Pierce years.

BTW, I would consider Arenas the worst max. I know he signed for a few mil under, but it was really just PR/semantics. It was close enough.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#27 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:17 pm

So would someone offer him the max if Minnesota didn't give him the max and let him hit free agency?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#28 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:18 pm

He’s Wiggity wack right now
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:33 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:So would someone offer him the max if Minnesota didn't give him the max and let him hit free agency?

Not after what we're seeing so far this season, and if another team did, I'd roll out the red carpet for him on his way out. 148mil for this guy? Nonsensical.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#30 » by leolozon » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:34 pm

SlowPaced wrote:

Some people say "didn't get better since his rookie season" but they should say "since the second half of his rookie season." Because he was atrocious in October - December.

But here's after the all-star break in his rookie season :

Post all-star : 20.0/4.9/2.3 in 15.3 shots - TS% .533 (39 min)
2nd season : 20.7/3.6/2.0 in 16.0 shots - TS% .543 (35 min)
3rd season : 23.6/4.0/2.6 in 19.1 shots - TS% .531 (37 min)
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#31 » by Concernedcad » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:42 pm

Feel bad for Wiggins being stuck on that team. Hope he gets out of Minnesota soon.
FinallyImHere
Junior
And1: 196

Post#32 » by FinallyImHere » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:44 pm

He has all the physical tools to be great it's just that he's a mental midget.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#33 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:52 pm

Concernedcad wrote:Feel bad for Wiggins being stuck on that team. Hope he gets out of Minnesota soon.

Huh? He's stuck on a team that gave him 150 mil, gave him the ultimate green light for his first 3 years even though for 2 of those years his teammate was the far superior player. Now they add Butler and now Wiggins is going to make the playoffs despite the fact he still leads the team in FGAs.

I can't really imagine a better scenario for a young guy that wants to be the man than the one Wiggins has been put into to start his career.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,679

Post#34 » by nedleeds » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:01 pm

Next year Carmelo at almost $30 million will take the crown. Joe Johnson on the last 2 years of his max. Deron Williams on the last 3 years of his are all worse than Wiggins.

Let's not forget

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,858

Post#35 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:07 pm

Quentin wrote:Guy has no heart. I seriously wondered if he was hesitant to sign that max deal because he knew he wasn't worth it and he'd let the fans down. I'd REALLY like to know what it is exactly that he offers to winning basketball as a max player. I wonder if the Wolves could even trade the guy at this point.

You used to be such an ardent Wiggins supporter. I mean, if this continues he could end up being one of the worst contracts. Though I'm not sure how much someone like Joakim Noah makes in comparison and he has to be worse.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#36 » by Smitson » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:19 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Quentin wrote:Guy has no heart. I seriously wondered if he was hesitant to sign that max deal because he knew he wasn't worth it and he'd let the fans down. I'd REALLY like to know what it is exactly that he offers to winning basketball as a max player. I wonder if the Wolves could even trade the guy at this point.

You used to be such an ardent Wiggins supporter. I mean, if this continues he could end up being one of the worst contracts. Though I'm not sure how much someone like Joakim Noah makes in comparison and he has to be worse.

We'll give you JV + Norman Powell in the off season if you want to dump Wiggins deal :lol:.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,455

Post#37 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:21 pm

the Knicks bad maxes: Steve Franchise, Starbusy, Allan Houston, Melo's second deal
the rest of the league: Penny Hardaway's 7 year deal in Phoenix, Parsons,Jermaine O'neal's max went badly, Rashard Lewis, Derrick Rose/Chris Bosh/Brandon Roy (due to injury), Shawn Kemp in Cleveland.

those contracts are all finished though so we don't actually get to rank Wiggins yet.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#38 » by Concernedcad » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:21 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Concernedcad wrote:Feel bad for Wiggins being stuck on that team. Hope he gets out of Minnesota soon.

Huh? He's stuck on a team that gave him 150 mil, gave him the ultimate green light for his first 3 years even though for 2 of those years his teammate was the far superior player. Now they add Butler and now Wiggins is going to make the playoffs despite the fact he still leads the team in FGAs.

I can't really imagine a better scenario for a young guy that wants to be the man than the one Wiggins has been put into to start his career.

Young players want to be run into the ground? Go watch that third quarter against the Celtics. He didn't even have any legs to do anything. A smart coach would understand this and reduce his minutes. Not have him play the entire first quarter. Have him play with the bench unit a bit.

Young players also should be free to work with whatever trainer they want. Tom Thibadope banned Wiggins from working with his shooting coach Drew Hanlen. Just a sad situation.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#39 » by B-Ball Freak » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:31 pm

No but he's pretty damn bad
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,929

Post#40 » by Reeko » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:39 pm

I don't follow Wiggins or Minnesota much, but one thing about him vs DeMar is that DeMar has been labeled as one of the hardest working players in the league a true gym rat. I have never heard such things said about Wiggins. Another thing to take into consideration is he was never brought along by any good vets aside from an old KG, DeMar had Bosh in his rookie year but that aside DeMar is a driven player regardless. Wiggins may be the type who needs his teammates to push him, it is quite possible he would have thrived under LeBron in Cleveland had he not been traded.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to The General Board