Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Re: Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever? 

Post#41 » by The Flying Gent » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:41 pm

He's been in a remarkable slump, but it's still too early for this kind of conclusion.

In fact, even if this is just who he is as a player, he's still probably not the worst.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#42 » by LordBaldric » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:43 pm

He a bum.
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#43 » by ZemGOAT » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:43 pm

He is a the only zero way star i know
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#44 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:48 pm

Concernedcad wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Concernedcad wrote:Feel bad for Wiggins being stuck on that team. Hope he gets out of Minnesota soon.

Huh? He's stuck on a team that gave him 150 mil, gave him the ultimate green light for his first 3 years even though for 2 of those years his teammate was the far superior player. Now they add Butler and now Wiggins is going to make the playoffs despite the fact he still leads the team in FGAs.

I can't really imagine a better scenario for a young guy that wants to be the man than the one Wiggins has been put into to start his career.

Young players want to be run into the ground? Go watch that third quarter against the Celtics. He didn't even have any legs to do anything. A smart coach would understand this and reduce his minutes. Not have him play the entire first quarter. Have him play with the bench unit a bit.

Young players also should be free to work with whatever trainer they want. Tom Thibadope banned Wiggins from working with his shooting coach Drew Hanlen. Just a sad situation.

Run into the ground?
Wiggins MPG (1st 4 seasons)

Those aren't crazy numbers, especially when you consider how great of an athlete he is and he's not a big bulky athlete either. Are e really saying 36 minutes a game is running 20-22 year old world class athletes into the ground now?

And no he wasn't banned from working with Hanlen. Thibs prefers his players not to work out with non team trainers DURING the season. Also he prefers them not to work with personal trainers but doesn't forbid it. Wiggins just had Hanlen fly out to him a couple weeks ago to work on his shot.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,596

Post#45 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:49 pm

Quentin wrote:Guy has no heart. I seriously wondered if he was hesitant to sign that max deal because he knew he wasn't worth it and he'd let the fans down. I'd REALLY like to know what it is exactly that he offers to winning basketball as a max player. I wonder if the Wolves could even trade the guy at this point.

Weren't you relentlessly hyping him since his career started, up to before this season started even?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:59 pm

nedleeds wrote:Next year Carmelo at almost $30 million will take the crown. Joe Johnson on the last 2 years of his max. Deron Williams on the last 3 years of his are all worse than Wiggins.

Let's not forget

Amar'e was a 5x all Star and 4x all NBA team player when the Knicks game him his big contract. His first year with the Knicks he averaged 25/8/2 and was an all Star and made 2nd team all NBA. That was not a bad contract when the Knicks gave it to him, injuries is what ruined that contract. This is like saying Miami was dumb to give Bosh a big contract, you can't predict injuries.

Then with Melo he was 29 when he got his contract and was a 2nd team all NBA player a year before they gave him his contract. No one second questioned giving Melo a Max contract and even then, he still has far out performed what Wiggins is doing.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#47 » by MugzZo » Sat Jan 6, 2018 10:02 pm

Juwan Howard says what's up!

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#48 » by leolozon » Sat Jan 6, 2018 10:02 pm

He's not a max player though. He's making 7.6 million. Next year, he'll be a max player.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#49 » by vagelis » Sat Jan 6, 2018 10:19 pm

clyde21 wrote: Despite having Butler this season

I would say because of having Butler this season.

Thibs tries hard to turn Wiggins to a 3&D guy something that anyone should understand that he is not.
At the defensive end he plays very good defense, he is a very good 1vs1 defender and his team defense is better than the previous years.
At the offensive end he struggles and that is because he does not get the ball. He stays in the corner for the most part of the game and watches his teammates. This is Thibs system.

Wiggins has 42 touches per game which is extremely low. He is not involved in the game. He is asked to stay in the corner and shoot when the ball reaches him.
In comparison some examples Ben Simmons has 100 touches per game and he is first in the league and other examples Durant 70 touches per game or even Illyasova has 53 touches per game.
Wiggins has the least touches among Timberwolves starters by far. Even Taj Gibson has 52 touches per game and he is more involved in the game.

It is worth to mention that Wiggins is 10th in the league in points per touches and the previous year he was 7th among starters. That means that the guy can score if he takes the ball. Although his self confidence is bad this year.

The case of Kris Dunn has taught nothing to you all.
Dunn was not involved in the Wolves game the previous year and some of you thought that he is a bust.
All of a sudden and many of you think that it is a miracle Dunn has become a stud.
The difference is that Dunn has a coach who trusts him more and he is way more involved.

If I were Wiggins I would run away from this situation as far as I could.
Wiggins has great tools and when he finds a better situation he will find his way.
Thibs has chosen to go with Butler as main asset. I disagree with him. Butler has a roof and he will never be a superstar because his talent has a roof. I do not believe the same for Wiggins
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#50 » by SlowPaced » Sat Jan 6, 2018 10:45 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Wiggins put up 16.9 PPG in his rookie season, and 23.6 PPG in his third year. His all-around game didn't improve at all, but his scoring was improving with each year. This season he hasn't been able to get it going.

How has his scoring improved? He is taking more shots, but he is less efficient. I would not call that an improvement.

Please read the post that quoted one more time, specifically the end of it.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,139

Post#51 » by Plutonashfan » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:00 pm

People go completely overboard on this site. Allan Houston ring a bell???
The Champ is HERE!!!
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,295

Post#52 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:05 pm

Parsons & Batum are much worse.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#53 » by bulliedog8 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:05 pm

clyde21 wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:So would someone offer him the max if Minnesota didn't give him the max and let him hit free agency?

Not after what we're seeing so far this season, and if another team did, I'd roll out the red carpet for him on his way out. 148mil for this guy? Nonsensical.

I could have seen a team like the nets and hawks who have nothing to lose, throw a max at him. His max would have only been able to be 4yrs that way. Which is the route the wolves should have gone. Let him go into RFA. There was no need to rush it.
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#54 » by AssistRubio » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:05 pm

His max contract hasn't even started yet. It's amazing how many of you don't even realize that.
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#55 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:19 pm

vagelis wrote:
clyde21 wrote: Despite having Butler this season

I would say because of having Butler this season.

Thibs tries hard to turn Wiggins to a 3&D guy something that anyone should understand that he is not.
At the defensive end he plays very good defense, he is a very good 1vs1 defender and his team defense is better than the previous years.
At the offensive end he struggles and that is because he does not get the ball. He stays in the corner for the most part of the game and watches his teammates. This is Thibs system.

Wiggins has 42 touches per game which is extremely low. He is not involved in the game. He is asked to stay in the corner and shoot when the ball reaches him.
In comparison some examples Ben Simmons has 100 touches per game and he is first in the league and other examples Durant 70 touches per game or even Illyasova has 53 touches per game.
Wiggins has the least touches among Timberwolves starters by far. Even Taj Gibson has 52 touches per game and he is more involved in the game.

It is worth to mention that Wiggins is 10th in the league in points per touches and the previous year he was 7th among starters. That means that the guy can score if he takes the ball. Although his self confidence is bad this year.

The case of Kris Dunn has taught nothing to you all.
Dunn was not involved in the Wolves game the previous year and some of you thought that he is a bust.
All of a sudden and many of you think that it is a miracle Dunn has become a stud.
The difference is that Dunn has a coach who trusts him more and he is way more involved.

If I were Wiggins I would run away from this situation as far as I could.
Wiggins has great tools and when he finds a better situation he will find his way.
Thibs has chosen to go with Butler as main asset. I disagree with him. Butler has a roof and he will never be a superstar because his talent has a roof. I do not believe the same for Wiggins

Nah wiggins is rudy straight mk 2 , so butler >>> rudy.
What
Andy123
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#56 » by Andy123 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:58 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:I think we need a thread: Andrew Wiggins, most picked on player ever?

One of the most picked . i swear some people on this board has an agenda picking on wolves and Wiggins.
I enjoy contributing ideas in a discussion towatds a solution , not interested in debates or arguments.
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#57 » by peja_the_legend » Sun Jan 7, 2018 12:27 am

Well the hype on Wiggins was surreal.Definitely the most hyped prospect after Lebron.PPL picking on him is a reaction to this hype.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#58 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 7, 2018 12:34 am

Smitson wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:
Quentin wrote:Guy has no heart. I seriously wondered if he was hesitant to sign that max deal because he knew he wasn't worth it and he'd let the fans down. I'd REALLY like to know what it is exactly that he offers to winning basketball as a max player. I wonder if the Wolves could even trade the guy at this point.

You used to be such an ardent Wiggins supporter. I mean, if this continues he could end up being one of the worst contracts. Though I'm not sure how much someone like Joakim Noah makes in comparison and he has to be worse.

We'll give you JV + Norman Powell in the off season if you want to dump Wiggins deal :lol:.

If I were Minnesota, I'd take it.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,776

Post#59 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 12:38 am

I compared him to Jerry Stackhouse in the past. I actually feel bad for the guy now and hope he can become a solid force in the league.

He's never going to live up to the hype, it seems, but I hope things improve for him.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#60 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 7, 2018 12:39 am

Prokorov wrote:he isnt even in the top 10 of worst max contacts ever

I don't doubt that there have been 10 worst, because I've seen some ridiculous contracts before. But I can't even remember 5 that I'd say were worst than giving Wiggins the max.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to The General Board