The ROTY/Rookie Discussion Thread, Part III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who wins? (May select 2 options.)

Simmons
38%
Ball
4%
Kuzma
4%
Tatum
11%
Markkanen
8%
Smith Jr
1%
Fox
1%
Mitchell
30%
Anunoby
2%
Other
1%

Total votes: 940

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Re: The ROTY/Rookie Discussion Thread, Part III 

Post#2061 » by HotelVitale » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:Mitchell has had a great season, and he is a great player...but to me, this call is not "splitting hairs". And - again - if Mitchell supporters have a non-subjective, statistically/analytically-based argument on why Mitchell deserves to be Rookie of the Year over Simmons, I would love to read it.

It's one thing to say that Mitchell supporters have been overly defensive or spit weak and perspective-less arguments--there's always a lot of that in ROY debates--but it also seems misinformed or dishonest to say you can't see an argument that Mitchell is as good. The eye test mixed with stats tells me a pretty clear story. I've probably seen every Simmons game but 3 or 4 this year, and he's sort of a high-level, very entertaining opportunist: he reads the floor, improvises, watches for defensive screw-ups, etc. But almost everything he does on offense still depends on defenses screwing up or on his shooters hitting pretty tough shots. I don't mean to say that Simmons doesn't do a lot to make that possible--he obviously does and not many players can make all those things happen--but he can't take over games or impose his will as much as we'd like, and if RoCo and Redick aren't hitting semi-contested 30 footers, his stats and impact often aren't that great. (Fwiw, I think the first thing he'll improve next year is getting his shots off from 4-10 ft, and drawing fouls).

Mitchell on the other hand can take over a game and make something happen by himself, largely since he can put the ball in the hole himself (and also creates pretty well). He can do that every time, and he can do it in many ways. (Also, iirc Simmons +/- without Embiid isn't very good, so that would be the building block for an argument against Simmons' superior impact.) Simmons is in a great spot for his type of game to succeed now, with almost all of the rotation being near-elite 3pt shooters (Redick, Bellinelli, Ilyasova, Saric, and Covington, plus good-not-great Embiid). We see that every single game. And Jazz fans see Mitchell being effective at scoring in a bunch of different ways every single game too, while also chipping in pretty impressive defense, creating, IQ, etc. They're both in pretty good situations for themselves, but let's not pretend that Simmons' putting up good advanced #s is all because of his inherent talent, or that those advanced #s aren't capturing something more than just purely superior game.
jjscap
Bench Warmer
And1: 323

Post#2062 » by jjscap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

I don't actually think DM cares about ROY much. Bunch of media guys will vote, right? I bet some never watched an UTA game. Better ask opposing teams' coaches and players. Dozens of them already spoke. Lastly Rick Carlisle. Ask Lebron, Wade, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden. Their opinions matter.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,665

Post#2063 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

jjscap wrote:I don't actually think DM cares about ROY much. Bunch of media guys will vote, right? I bet some never watched an UTA game. Better ask opposing teams' coaches and players. Dozens of them already spoke. Lastly Rick Carlisle. Ask Lebron, Wade, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden. Their opinions matter.

Dozens spoke? A little vague there. What did LeBron say?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#2064 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:Mitchell has had a great season, and he is a great player...but to me, this call is not "splitting hairs". And - again - if Mitchell supporters have a non-subjective, statistically/analytically-based argument on why Mitchell deserves to be Rookie of the Year over Simmons, I would love to read it.

It's one thing to say that Mitchell supporters have been overly defensive or spit weak and perspective-less arguments--there's always a lot of that in ROY debates--but it also seems misinformed or dishonest to say you can't see an argument that Mitchell is as good. The eye test mixed with stats tells me a pretty clear story. I've probably seen every Simmons game but 3 or 4 this year, and he's sort of a high-level, very entertaining opportunist: he reads the floor, improvises, watches for defensive screw-ups, etc. But almost everything he does on offense still depends on defenses screwing up or on his shooters hitting pretty tough shots. I don't mean to say that Simmons doesn't do a lot to make that possible--he obviously does and not many players can make all those things happen--but he can't take over games or impose his will as much as we'd like, and if RoCo and Redick aren't hitting semi-contested 30 footers, his stats and impact often aren't that great. (Fwiw, I think the first thing he'll improve next year is getting his shots off from 4-10 ft, and drawing fouls).

Mitchell on the other hand can take over a game and make something happen by himself, largely since he can put the ball in the hole himself (and also creates pretty well). He can do that every time, and he can do it in many ways. (Also, iirc Simmons +/- without Embiid isn't very good, so that would be the building block for an argument against Simmons' superior impact.) Simmons is in a great spot for his type of game to succeed now, with almost all of the rotation being near-elite 3pt shooters (Redick, Bellinelli, Ilyasova, Saric, and Covington, plus good-not-great Embiid). We see that every single game. And Jazz fans see Mitchell being effective at scoring in a bunch of different ways every single game too, while also chipping in pretty impressive defense, creating, IQ, etc. They're both in pretty good situations for themselves, but let's not pretend that Simmons' putting up good advanced #s is all because of his inherent talent, or that those advanced #s aren't capturing something more than just purely superior game.

I don’t even know what to do with this.

I ask for a non-subjective, statistically/analytically-based argument for Mitchell over Simmons, and - right out of the box - we get the old “eye-test - mixed with stats” (note - WHERE ARE THE FREAKING STATS?) pitch.

:nonono:

Virtually your ENTIRE post is a bunch of narrative and subjective analysis. You KNOW this - right?

And I am not even going to get into responding to stuff like “and if RoCo and Redick aren’t hitting semi-contested 30-footers, his stats and impact often aren’t that great”. That is a line of subjective crap debating that one adopts when you don’t have facts or statistics to buttress your case. Your entire post is the quintessential pro-Mitchell post. Completely devoid of statistical and analytical substantiation.

And your “well, Simmons wouldn’t be anything without Embiid” approach is, shall we say, “interesting”. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to look at the analytics of the Jazz to know who stirs their drink (what - were the Jazz 2-and-11 in Gobert’s last stretch of missed games?).

Not only does Simmons absolutely SMOKE Mitchell in any head-to-head statistical analysis, it is important to note that Mitchell is FOURTH in WS and VORP on the Jazz.

FOURTH.

Any guess who leads the Sixers in WS and VORP? Huh?

This is the essence of this debate. Virtually all of the statistics and analytics favor Simmons, by a wide margin (and - AGAIN - if you can make a compelling analytical/statistical case for Mitchell, I would love to read it)...so we revert to the old “eye test” for Mitchell.

My “eye test” says that if the 28 GMls other than the Sixers or Jazz were asked who they would start their team with - Simmons or Mitchell - the number of GM’s that would pick Mitchell would be ZERO.

(and I think Mitchell is GREAT)
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#2065 » by The_Hater » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 pm

jjscap wrote:I don't actually think DM cares about ROY much. Bunch of media guys will vote, right? I bet some never watched an UTA game. Better ask opposing teams' coaches and players. Dozens of them already spoke. Lastly Rick Carlisle. Ask Lebron, Wade, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden. Their opinions matter.

The players always care about awards and recognition, it goes along with the massive ego and self confidence that goes along with an elite athlete. Mitchell is no exception.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#2066 » by nurseryc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Would suggest the next thread (over 100 now) has just one vote per person with following categories given the poll is who will win:

Ben Simmons
Mitchell
Co-winners
(Filler candidates as desired)

The realgm poll options don’t ever make clear if 250 people voted for cowinners or if there were 250 Ben Simmons votes and a different 250 Mitchell votes

Can we pls start your new suggested thread?
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#2067 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 pm

nurseryc wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Would suggest the next thread (over 100 now) has just one vote per person with following categories given the poll is who will win:

Ben Simmons
Mitchell
Co-winners

The realgm poll options don’t ever make clear if 250 people voted for cowinners or if there were 250 Ben Simmons votes and a different 250 Mitchell votes

I suggest a thread dedicated to just debate Mitchell vs Simmons instead.

So we can actually have a thread discussing other rookies n not page after page of PHI vs Utah fans debating who's more deserving of the award.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#2068 » by phifans » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
but he can't take over games or impose his will as much as we'd like, and if RoCo and Redick aren't hitting semi-contested 30 footers, his stats and impact often aren't that great. (Fwiw, I think the first thing he'll improve next year is getting his shots off from 4-10 ft, and drawing fouls).

Simmons has decided to take over games by scoring 10+ points grabbing 10+ rebounds and help his teammates score 10+ times per game. Thats what he decided to do every game. Not everyone need to take 20+ shots and scoring a bunch to carry his team and it certainly seems Ben dont need to do that.

And hitting the outside shoots is the reason why Roco and Redick are here. Its like saying if Rudy Gobert cant protect the rim Jazz would be getting into the trouble which makes no sense.

Ben Simmons can facilitate anyone , shooters or not. But if we dont have Ben you can imagine how awkward we will be with a bunch of shooters who can not create any space to shoot the ball.
_Joker
Senior
And1: 715

Post#2069 » by _Joker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 am

PhilBlackson wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Ben Simmons
Mitchell
Co-winners

I suggest a thread dedicated to just debate Mitchell vs Simmons instead.

So we can actually have a thread discussing other rookies n not page after page of PHI vs Utah fans debating who's more deserving of the award.

Is this not the ROTY thread though? There's only two potential candidates
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#2070 » by nurseryc » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 am

Mitchell is really struggling with his outside shot lately. Can someone post Mitchell’s 3 point percentages over his last 5-7 games?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#2071 » by michaelm » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:48 am

nurseryc wrote:Mitchell is really struggling with his outside shot lately. Can someone post Mitchell’s 3 point percentages over his last 5-7 games?

Simmons can stand on his own merits.

There is no necessity to death - ride Mitchell. Any player can have a bad game, particularly when a rookie, and over the season assessing Mitchell as having a bad game before he plays the 4th quarter has often proved to be an error.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#2072 » by Black Mage » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 am

michaelm wrote:
nurseryc wrote:Mitchell is really struggling with his outside shot lately. Can someone post Mitchell’s 3 point percentages over his last 5-7 games?

There is no necessity to death - ride Mitchell. Any player can have a bad game, particularly when a rookie, and over the season assessing Mitchell as having a bad game before he plays the 4th quarter has often proved to be an error.

The game is 4 quarters. If not for his teammates carrying the load for 3/4's of a game it wouldn't even matter what DM did in the 4th.

Simmons plays a full 3 to 4 quarters every game, whether it is scoring, or getting his teammates going or playing lockdown defense.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,665

Post#2073 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:57 am

22-83 in his last 10 games. Ricky Rubio has hit 18-43 over the same stretch.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#2074 » by dautjazz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 am

if you are watching the 4th quarter that Mitchell is having tonight, you have to agree he is more valuable to his team than Simmons is for his.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#2075 » by Concernedcad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:03 am

Mitchell is unreal. He has to be ROTY.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#2076 » by michaelm » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:15 am

Black Mage wrote:
michaelm wrote:

The game is 4 quarters. If not for his teammates carrying the load for 3/4's of a game it wouldn't even matter what DM did in the 4th.

Simmons plays a full 3 to 4 quarters every game, whether it is scoring, or getting his teammates going or playing lockdown defense.

To be clear, I am Australian and an out and out Simmons fan, but am annoyed by those who feel the need to deride another great young player in Mitchell.

And yes the game is played over 4 quarters, and what matters I would have thought is a player's team winning the game, whether by a consistent level of play over the whole 4 quarters or by better play/clutch shooting in the 4th quarter. Both players haven't played 82 games yet, and both Simmons' heady and consistent play as a rookie PG and Mitchell's ability to win games for his team by clutch shooting in the 4th quarter are remarkable given the inexperience of both players.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#2077 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 am

Concernedcad wrote:Mitchell is unreal. He has to be ROTY.

I just don't see how there's an arguement between Simmons and Mitchell and I despise the Sixers. Besides his ability to finish what is Mitchell good at? He's a below average shooter, besides his struggles from three recent he's also only 36% from 3-10 feet on the year. It's just his usg has been unreal lately, forty minutes a night recently and 25 fg attempts a night, it just makes me wonder what type of numbers he'd be putting up if Utah had other scoring options. His clutch numbers also kind of tell me Utah's success falls much more on Gobert's return.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#2078 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:21 am

14-34.......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#2079 » by Black Mage » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:23 am

michaelm wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
michaelm wrote:Simmons can stand on his own merits.

To be clear, I am Australian and an out and out Simmons fan, but am annoyed by those who feel the need to deride another great young player in Mitchell.

And yes the game is played over 4 quarters, and what matters I would have thought is a player's team winning the game, whether by a consistent level of play over the whole 4 quarters or by better play/clutch shooting in the 4th quarter. Both players haven't played 82 games yet, and both Simmons' heady and consistent play as a rookie PG and Mitchell's ability to win games for his team by clutch shooting in the 4th quarter are remarkable given the inexperience of both players.

I am not deriding DM. I have said what DM is doing is amazing and I am happy for the Jazz to have gotten a steal.

However, I am also tired of hearing that DM is somehow more deserving of ROY simply because of his fourth quarter play while ignoring that his teammates kept the team in the game for the first 3 quarters.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#2080 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:25 am

michaelm wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
michaelm wrote:Simmons can stand on his own merits.

Mitchell's shooting in the clutch stats are 38/24%, how exactly is that remarkable? Compare that to Simmons, who is 67/0 or even Tatum 62/67%...

Return to The General Board