When the dust settled, Cleveland had gotten one of the worst returns for their star.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Agree or disagree?

Agree.
47%
Disagree.
53%

Total votes: 154

JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,791

When the dust settled, Cleveland had gotten one of the worst returns for their star. 

Post#1 » by JJ_PR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

The narrative at the time of the trade was that Cleveland had made out like bandits. Teams like Indiana and Chicago were being crucified by the media for the deals they got. Looking back, Chicago and Indiana easily got better returns than Cleveland did.

For the cavs, the Brooklyn pick was the centerpiece. However, that team has made some strong moves and the pick is looking like a mid to late lotto. Isaiah Thomas, even at 100%, might not be a good fit for this team, especially against the Warriors (and he's a free agent who thinks he deserves max money lol). Jae Crowder was supposed to be another important piece but he has regressed heavily.

Meanwhile, Victor Oladipo is a legitimate MvP candidate (he was 8th not too long ago). For Chicago, all guys they acquired have surpassed expectations. Markannen became the quickest EVER to hit 100 treys.

To think Cleveland was close to acquiring Jimmy Butler AND Eric Bledsoe in a three team trade. The cavs would have a team capable of beating the Warriors.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Re: When the dust settled, Cleveland had gotten one of the worst returns for their star. 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Too early
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: When the dust settled, Cleveland had gotten one of the worst returns for their star. 

Post#3 » by King Ken » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Too early.
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,572

Post#4 » by knuckles862 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

I wouldn’t say worst return but I would say it didn’t move the needle at all imo
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#5 » by NickAnderson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

76ciology wrote:Too early

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,072

Post#6 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Ask again come playoff time.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,974

Post#7 » by RCM88x » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Idk, if that pick turns out to be someone who's capable of being a frachise level player that would be the only thing to save this. I don't believe the current coaching staff is able to really make that happen, or the FO for that matter.

I do think that the players we got back ultimately are far better off in a system like Bostons than here. I think Ainge did a pretty great job hyping up his guys with a great coach so he could sell them high, as I really don't believe that he had either IT or Crowder in their long term plan, (if he did IT would probably have had surgery immediately). And really, IT not being 100% is the real kicker with this deal. Honestly I never felt great about it after they had to re-negotiate it and tbh they would ultimately have been better off voiding it entirely. But it's a rookie GM in a tough spot, I don't think you can blame him for trying to do his best, and on paper it certainly looked to be an incredible deal.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,216

Post#8 » by lambchop » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Too early, but yea possibly. The timing was simply off for the Cavs, had Kyrie voiced his opinion earlier, the cavs could have traded for cp3 or PG, who were both ready to play. Another option would have been to just wait until mid season or after the season and trade him then, even if he hadn't suited up in a single game.

But at the end of the day, the Cavs weren't going go get anything in return except for one year rentals. Teams like Chicago and Indy got more players in return simply because - unlike Kyrie - Butler and George had both proven that they can lead teams to success "by themselves". The nuggets weren't giving up jamal murray or another young talent, the suns weren't giving up josh jackson etc.

There just weren't many options at the time, but that was mainly due to the timing.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#9 » by draftnightsuit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Cleveland got the best possible return they could get given the situation.

In any case, it’s still too early to make this thread.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#10 » by draftnightsuit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Also, why do people continue to pretend that Brooklyn isn’t a horrible team?

They made some moves that improved their prospects for the future, kudos to their FO. It doesn’t change the fact that they are still a bad team for the time being.

Brooklyn currently has the 8th worst record in the league and is 1 game out of being the 4th worst. That pick will be somewhere in the top 10, probably closer to top 5.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,421

Post#12 » by JXL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Only because Isaiah only played 6 games back from recovering from his hip, and needs about 10-12 more games to get acclimated to LeBron's play.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#13 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm

I mean the Nets pick is currently 7th and within a game of everyone except for Sac, ATL and Orl. And that was always the cornerstone. Both Ind and Chi clearly did far better than conventional wisdom at the time; but its likely that neither ends up with anything but a late lotto pick for their troubles. Indy has the same # of losses as the 9 seed.

IT is just getting his legs back and Crowder is finally starting to come around.

WAY too early.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#14 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

IT needs more time jesus

I've even seen flashes of him and Lebron teaming up well....And with more time. I think it will just get more better
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#15 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Still think Cavs trade that Brooklyn pick and get a good player in return
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,550

Post#16 » by Harry Garris » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Way too early based on IT's health alone. Also on top of that we have no idea what that pick is going to turn into.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,522

Post#17 » by 1993Playoffs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Again like I said before, I don't see Kyrie staying in Boston long term. Its very possible that he moves on to play with his friends in MIN
sicknastydunker
Pro Prospect
And1: 944

Post#18 » by sicknastydunker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:11 pm

RCM88x wrote:Idk, if that pick turns out to be someone who's capable of being a frachise level player that would be the only thing to save this. I don't believe the current coaching staff is able to really make that happen, or the FO for that matter.

I do think that the players we got back ultimately are far better off in a system like Bostons than here. I think Ainge did a pretty great job hyping up his guys with a great coach so he could sell them high, as I really don't believe that he had either IT or Crowder in their long term plan, (if he did IT would probably have had surgery immediately). And really, IT not being 100% is the real kicker with this deal. Honestly I never felt great about it after they had to re-negotiate it and tbh they would ultimately have been better off voiding it entirely. But it's a rookie GM in a tough spot, I don't think you can blame him for trying to do his best, and on paper it certainly looked to be an incredible deal.

The pick isn't even looking good though
dukes_wild wrote:Fultz is going to be a future MVP, so no, Philly actually got very lucky that Boston gave them that pick

:lol:
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#19 » by Mister Ze » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Should have traded Kyrie to the West

#Salt
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,974

Post#20 » by RCM88x » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm

sicknastydunker wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Idk, if that pick turns out to be someone who's capable of being a frachise level player that would be the only thing to save this. I don't believe the current coaching staff is able to really make that happen, or the FO for that matter.

The pick isn't even looking good though

Just because it's not a top 3 pick doesn't mean you can't get a good player. Obviously the top 3 pick is infinitely more valuable than a 8th overall pick. But I will admit that a lot of time now scouting isn't as crystal clear as it used to be. Lot of guys drafted outside the top 3 have been successful players capable of being a #1 or #2 option on a good team.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.

Return to The General Board