Blatant tanking from Sacramento

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Re: Blatant tanking from Sacramento 

Post#21 » by gavran » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:George Hill is literally 30 years old

No, literally, he is 31.7 years old.
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,572

Post#22 » by knuckles862 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Let’s be honest even if they tried to win games they couldn’t as their roster is constructed might as well play the young guys
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#23 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm

i can remember in the preseason when everyone was so impressed with the ‘great’ offseason the Kings just had. Oops.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#24 » by Att » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Nuntius wrote:Developing their young players sounds good to me. Nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong with signing all those veterans in the first place.
1. Cap space can be effectively used to get picks from other teams and by that, advancing your rebuild.
2. The veterans take the young player's minutes. Giving Hill minutes when Fox is on your bench is :crazy:
The same goes for Temple, Randolph and Carter.
3. And now you have a weird situation where guys who played well sit entire games cause they are old. A lovely atmosphere in the locker room, it must create.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#25 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm curious to hear a Kings fan perspective on this. I wouldn't be shocked if the majority of Kings fans want to see their young guys get more burn and develop them over watching VC, Randolph or Hill every night. If anything I think this is a really smart long term move by the organization. Lets play all these young guys and see if they begin to develop and get a better eye on who they think are legit building blocks or who might be moved later on. Smart rebuilding in my opinion.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#26 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Kings have had a top 10 draft pick in every draft since 2009. They’ve been tanking for 10 years now.

Their scouting and player development is absolutely horrible. This is a step in the right direction, I guess. They need to devote all of their resources to developing talent becuase another high lotto isn’t gonna change anything.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#27 » by baldur » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

they shouldnt have sign them in the first place anyway. if the salary floor was the concern, they could have easily acquired unwanted contracts along with some young fillers or future draft picks. but what do you expect from a team who traded down in a great draft class in the middle of rebuilding?
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#28 » by magee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

^This. They passed on a lot of contributing rookies for two guys who may contribute heavily in three years, and that's if Giles' knees get healthy enough for him to be considered a steal, even though their best big man players the same position. If I'm a Kings fan, I'm stoked on seeing a couple guys get it, the team gel in certain situations and having 3 positions locked up with quality players for the next few years. Overall, I'm bummed because there is just no voice. Crud rolls downhill.
Gontscha
Sophomore
And1: 234

Post#29 » by Gontscha » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

They're panicking because their young core is not good at all and they don't own their 2019 pick. They have no assets, no special talent and one first rounder for the next two years so they're putting all their money on drafting a franchise player in this years draft.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,147

Post#30 » by AdagioPace » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Kings have had a top 10 draft pick in every draft since 2009. They’ve been tanking for 10 years now.

Their scouting and player development is absolutely horrible. This is a step in the right direction, I guess. They need to devote all of their resources to developing talent becuase another high lotto isn’t gonna change anything.

the only worthy top pick was Cousins. That's why trading him was a reckless move. I don't consider Cousins a top 50 all-time talent but players like him are unique. It's not easy to find superstars from 6th to 10th pick even though the Kings have had many chances in this range. You simply don't give up on a talent like Cousins when you've been bad for 12 years. All it takes is another piece and things are going to work out
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#31 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Literally everyone said signing these guys was stupid, now they're not allowed to sit them? Can't have it both ways.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#32 » by Nuntius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Att wrote:
Nuntius wrote:Developing their young players sounds good to me. Nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong with signing all those veterans in the first place.
1. Cap space can be effectively used to get picks from other teams and by that, advancing your rebuild.
2. The veterans take the young player's minutes. Giving Hill minutes when Fox is on your bench is :crazy:
The same goes for Temple, Randolph and Carter.
3. And now you have a weird situation where guys who played well sit entire games cause they are old. A lovely atmosphere in the locker room, it must create.

It is indeed a weird situation all around.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,467

Post#33 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm

They took a gamble trying to add talented vets to what they thought was a talented young core hoping to sneak into the playoffs. They realized it didn't pay off at all and is now hindering growth so I kind of understand the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make some trades because a guy like Hill who is roughly 32 wont be happy sitting out games. And even though Zach Randolph is maybe 3 days older than baseball, he probably wants to be playing as well...
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#34 » by beantownski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 pm

No need to panic, they have Buddy Hield. He's like the next Curry.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#35 » by Att » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:They took a gamble trying to add talented vets to what they thought was a talented young core hoping to sneak into the playoffs. They realized it didn't pay off at all and is now hindering growth so I kind of understand the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make some trades because a guy like Hill who is roughly 32 wont be happy sitting out games. And even though Zach Randolph is maybe 3 days older than baseball, he probably wants to be playing as well...

If they took a gamble trying to sneak into the playoffs with Temple, Carter, Randolph and Hill, than they are even less competent than I thought. Who in their right mind would think their roster can get to the playoff? Aren't they tired of making the same mistake over and over again? IIRC, they traded their 2019 unprotected pick (and two pick swaps) for one year of Rondo :roll:. They didn't sneak into the playoffs then either.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#36 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

They weren't winning games playing those veterans either, so is it really tanking?
Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm

The whole tanking thing is overblown. They have to develop young players and this isn’t wrong. It’s not like they are telling guy to intentionally miss shots or not try.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,467

Post#38 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Att wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:They took a gamble trying to add talented vets to what they thought was a talented young core hoping to sneak into the playoffs. They realized it didn't pay off at all and is now hindering growth so I kind of understand the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make some trades because a guy like Hill who is roughly 32 wont be happy sitting out games. And even though Zach Randolph is maybe 3 days older than baseball, he probably wants to be playing as well...

If they took a gamble trying to sneak into the playoffs with Temple, Carter, Randolph and Hill, than they are even less competent than I thought. Who in their right mind would think their roster can get to the playoff? Aren't they tired of making the same mistake over and over again? IIRC, they traded their 2019 unprotected pick (and two pick swaps) for one year of Rondo :roll:. They didn't sneak into the playoffs then either.

I'm not saying I thought they would get in but they certainly were thinking it:

Hill/Fox
Hield/Temple
Carter/Richardson/Bogdanovic
Randolph/Jackson/Labissiere/Giles
Cauley-Stein/Koufus/Papa-G

on paper they had the right idea (3-4 strong young talents, 2-3 good vets, 2-3 role players) it just wasn't the best constructed roster
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#39 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Sacramento trusts the process.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#40 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

So they shouldn't be trying to develop and invest in their young team, which happens to be the vast bulk of their roster?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.

Return to The General Board