George Hill / Cavs

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

George Hill / Cavs 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm

At 32 and making 19 million each the next 2 years after this one, prob zero other teams would even want him, and Sac is already sitting him now and clearly not in their plans long term. Sac probably would have to give up a pick just to get rid of him in most circumstances.

I think the Cavs could offer Frye (expiring) and Shumpert only 1 year at 11 million next year opposed to 2 more year of Hill at 19 which would allow Sac to get out of significant money each of the next two years. The Cavs should really have to give up nothing else and could probably even ask for a protected 2nd rounder in the future at least if not this years good one from the kings for taking on the money.

Hill would give them a spot up guy shooting 44% from 3 who could guard PG's or even SG's with his lenght and a good fit with Lebron and insurance if IT isn't working out or could play beside of IT. I think it's a very realistic way they get better without losing assets. A guy that could guard Curry decently.

Edit: 3rd year Hill only 1 million guaranteed. Makes deal more conducive just straight up
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,138

Re: George Hill / Cavs 

Post#2 » by AdagioPace » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

12footrim wrote:At 32 and making 19 million each the next 2 years after this one, prob zero other teams would even want him, and Sac is already sitting him now and clearly not in their plans long term. Sac probably would have to give up a pick just to get rid of him in most circumstances.

I think the Cavs could offer Frye (expiring) and Shumpert only 1 year at 11 million next year opposed to 2 more year of Hill at 19 which would allow Sac to get out of significant money each of the next two years. The Cavs should really have to give up nothing else and could probably even ask for a protected 2nd rounder in the future at least if not this years good one from the kings for taking on the money.

Hill would give them a spot up guy shooting 44% from 3 who could guard PG's or even SG's with his lenght and a good fit with Lebron and insurance if IT isn't working out or could play beside of IT. I think it's a very realistic way they get better without losing assets. A guy that could guard Curry decently.

why should Sacramento send a player to the Cavs for trash or nothing? He's still a decent player, just because SAc doesn't need him for the tank,it doesn't mean they should abandon him on the streets

Frye and Shumpert,even though favourable contracts, are practically meat and bones with 0 value
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#3 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 pm

12footrim wrote:At 32 and making 19 million each the next 2 years after this one, prob zero other teams would even want him, and Sac is already sitting him now and clearly not in their plans long term. Sac probably would have to give up a pick just to get rid of him in most circumstances.

His last year isn't guaranteed. "2019-20 is guaranteed for $1M until Monday, July 1, 2019."
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:25 pm

AdagioPace wrote:

why should Sacramento send a player to the Cavs for trash or nothing? He's still a decent player, just because SAc doesn't need him for the tank,it doesn't mean they should abandon him on the streets

Frye and Shumpert,even though favourable contracts, are practically meat and bones with 0 value

It's kind of irrelevant isn't it when they are sitting George Hill and have a top 5 draft pick Rookie PG. He's clearly not in their future and getting Shumpert and Frye gets them off the hook for 9 million dollars next year and they likely could flip Frye at least to a contender for a return asset, and possibly Shump if not this year next when he expires where as they can't get anything for Hill of real value this year with his contract. I think the going rate seems like they would have to give up picks to move him to most teams infact.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:26 pm

I wouldn't go near that contract if I was Cleveland. Not unless the Kings take back JR Smith's deal.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,194

Post#6 » by lambchop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm

George Hill isn't hurting the kings and is probably a great mentor for d'aaron fox since he already has experience with teams like the spurs and pacers who played winning basketball.
It's a good opportunity for the Kings to get rid of him, however, do they really have to? Does George Hill really want to play or is he fine just chilling?
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:29 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:

His last year isn't guaranteed. "2019-20 is guaranteed for $1M until Monday, July 1, 2019."

Good info, but I don't think it changes much other than the Cavs couldn't ask for a 2nd rounder for taking on that kind of money 3 years out. Probably makes it more feasible if anything.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:I wouldn't go near that contract if I was Cleveland. Not unless the Kings take back JR Smith's deal.

I'd much rather pay Hill than Frye and Shumpert this year who can't even get on the court for the Cavs though.

The difference next year is Shumpert at 11 million and Hill at 19. You are over paying either of them, it's just a matter of a bigger tax bill on Gilbert.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm

12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:I wouldn't go near that contract if I was Cleveland. Not unless the Kings take back JR Smith's deal.

I'd much rather pay Hill than Frye and Shumpert this year who can't even get on the court for the Cavs though.

The difference next year is Shumpert at 11 million and Hill at 19. You are over paying either of them, it's just a matter of a bigger tax bill on Gilbert.

Doesn't Hill have another 2 years left on his deal?
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 pm

lambchop wrote:George Hill isn't hurting the kings and is probably a great mentor for d'aaron fox since he already has experience with teams like the spurs and pacers who played winning basketball.
It's a good opportunity for the Kings to get rid of him, however, do they really have to? Does George Hill really want to play or is he fine just chilling?

20 million for a mentor the next 2 years is pretty step don't you think? He's already indicated he's not happy in a previous article even before they were sitting him and sounded a little disgruntled about how things have turned out from his Utah extension offer to where he's at.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 pm

The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:

The other guy brought it to my attention that only 1 million is guaranteed on that 3rd year.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The_Hater

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 pm

12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:

The other guy brought it to my attention that only 1 million is guaranteed on that 3rd year.

Geez. He turned down $80 million from the Jazz during the season.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#13 » by Han Solo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm

I could see the Pistons being interested.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:39 pm

The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Geez. He turned down $80 million from the Jazz during the season.

Yes and he's never recouping that 40 million I would expect. Gone like a fart in the wind at this point. Almost certainly will be cut and resign for minimum type contracts as long as he remains in the league. It does make him more condusive to a trade though. Still not many teams would be willing to take on this year and next at 20 million. Going to take a special circumstance like the Cavs that have a short window that allow them to get off any of that money at all IMO.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Han Solo wrote:I could see the Pistons being interested.

Who are they sending back though? They have to match 20 million and presumably give back semi movable contracts or expiring. They don't really have those things, and most teams really don't when you are talking 20 million. Frye is kind of valuable just for that reason and also the fact he could still be flipped and help other teams.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Stanq
Junior
And1: 331

Post#16 » by Stanq » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

After so many bad trade options for Cavs regarding bkn pick, maybe I'm just hoping to find a decent trade, but I like this very much. Not sure exactly what message it sends out to IT, but if we can play him SG a bit and have both on the court, than it could be really good. And Sac gets off of his money and probably making him happier by sending to a contender. If you're gonna sit him anyways, Shumpert warms the bench just as well and Frye is expiring, playable and moveable.

Btw, this thred should be moved to Trades and Transactions.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Stanq wrote:After so many bad trade options for Cavs regarding bkn pick, maybe I'm just hoping to find a decent trade, but I like this very much. Not sure exactly what message it sends out to IT, but if we can play him SG a bit and have both on the court, than it could be really good. And Sac gets off of his money and probably making him happier by sending to a contender. If you're gonna sit him anyways, Shumpert warms the bench just as well and Frye is expiring, playable and moveable.

Come on, don't banish it to the cricket board. It's pretty relevant and topical here with the Kings sitting their players, constant cavs and trade speculation here etc.

Hill has a 6-9 wingspan and plays bigger so he should have no issue playing some SG and off the ball. He actually seems to fit better in that way IMO with Lebron with the ball in his hands. They could play him with IT I think pretty sure or as insurance if IT is getting cooked.

C Thompson
F Crowder
F Lebron
G JR
G Hill

at least there is some semblance of a switchy defensive line up to throw at the warriors and guys like Crowder and Hill for Durant and Curry. Pretty good shooting as well out of 4 positions. Still would have the ammo to go after Deandre Jordan or a big fish if they wanted too.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Stanq
Junior
And1: 331

Post#18 » by Stanq » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

12footrim wrote:
Stanq wrote:After so many bad trade options for Cavs regarding bkn pick, maybe I'm just hoping to find a decent trade, but I like this very much. Not sure exactly what message it sends out to IT, but if we can play him SG a bit and have both on the court, than it could be really good. And Sac gets off of his money and probably making him happier by sending to a contender. If you're gonna sit him anyways, Shumpert warms the bench just as well and Frye is expiring, playable and moveable.

Come on, don't banish it to the cricket board. It's pretty relevant here with the Kings sitting their players, constant cavs and trade speculation here etc.

Hill has a 6-9 wingspan and plays bigger so he should have no issue playing some SG and off the ball. He actually seems to fit better in that way IMO

It's not me, is the rules mate. But I get your point, so I'm not gonna make a fuzz out of it.

And would you mind calling Koby and give him a heads up on this deal? Getting rid of Shumpert for a serviceable two guard who might be better than our starter would be awesome.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Stanq wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Come on, don't banish it to the cricket board. It's pretty relevant here with the Kings sitting their players, constant cavs and trade speculation here etc.

Hill has a 6-9 wingspan and plays bigger so he should have no issue playing some SG and off the ball. He actually seems to fit better in that way IMO

It's not me, is the rules mate. But I get your point, so I'm not gonna make a fuzz out of it.

And would you mind calling Koby and give him a heads up on this deal? Getting rid of Shumpert for a serviceable two guard who might be better than our starter would be awesome.

If they could get Hill for basically players that aren't even playing I think that should incentivize them to use that Brooklyn pick and go after Jordan, Paul George or whoever comes available and give them a chance. You ad Jordan and Hill for example and lose no significant parts and you do get a lot better I think. Lebrons window is this year really I think the way he is playing. Warriors are still the greatest team of all time but if they got an injury even for a couple games to Durant or Curry that's a team that could really put a scare in them.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#20 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm

This seems to make a lot of sense.

Hill is a really good fit as well. Big pg who could shoot and doesn’t need the ball to be effective.

Return to The General Board