March Madness | NBA prospect watch

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: March Madness | NBA prospect watch 

Post#141 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 pm

nymets1 wrote:I hope UMBC could beat Kansas State today. Virginia got exposed without De'andre Hunter. With De'andre Hunter back and everyone else healthy, Virginia is still the best defensive team in the nation. If UMBC can beat Virginia, of course they can beat Kansas State. Virginia is much better defense and overall team than Kstate.

I'm not a fan at all of De'andre Ayton getting bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. It's inexcusable/ unacceptable to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft when you lose in the 1st round and the other top prospects advance to the sweet 16 or further. I think the top 5 picks in the NBA draft should be:

Bagley, JJJ, Doncic, Porter and Mikal Bridges in no particular order. Than I would take either Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Wendell Carter or Kevin Knox as 6th, 7th and 8th in no particular order.

Ben Simmons' team didn't even make the tournament and still went #1. That's bad logic.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#142 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:I hope UMBC could beat Kansas State today. Virginia got exposed without De'andre Hunter. With De'andre Hunter back and everyone else healthy, Virginia is still the best defensive team in the nation. If UMBC can beat Virginia, of course they can beat Kansas State. Virginia is much better defense and overall team than Kstate.

I'm not a fan at all of De'andre Ayton getting bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. It's inexcusable/ unacceptable to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft when you lose in the 1st round and the other top prospects advance to the sweet 16 or further. I think the top 5 picks in the NBA draft should be:

Bagley, JJJ, Doncic, Porter and Mikal Bridges in no particular order. Than I would take either Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Wendell Carter or Kevin Knox as 6th, 7th and 8th in no particular order.

Ben Simmons' team didn't even make the tournament and still went #1. That's bad logic.

Fultz either. They were 2-16 in the TOUGH PAC 12.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#143 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm

The rule is never get confused about what a prospect's NBA impact is going to be based solely on his teams performance in the tournament. This is often the way players are overrated. Mikal Bridges is overrated playing on one of the best teams in the country, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an elite prospect as far as having reached a pretty high floor already. His ceiling is overrated though and should only make sense for lottery teams not in early rebuild mode given his age etc.
By the same tolken a prospect like Ayton isn't suddenly less of an NBA prospect because his team got beat early any more so than a prospect like Jairus Lyles isn't suddenly a top 5 pick after destroying VA
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#144 » by BadWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:26 pm

JJJ looks awful
Bridges... meh
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#145 » by dukes_wild » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:59 pm

BadWolf wrote:JJJ looks awful
Bridges... meh

Yeah I feel like JJJ has some bust potential

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,354

Post#146 » by PierceFan4ever » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 pm

JJJ definitely has bust potential no way I would pick him as high as 3-4 that some of these mock drafts have. Bridges is borderline top 10
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#147 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Ya Bagley is just on another tier compared to JJJ. I know there is definitely some bias for me when I look at the 2 of them, but I just don't see how people can have JJJ over Bagley.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#148 » by nymets1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Simmons is not a Center, The NBA has moved away from Centers and is mostly dominated by wings and guards, I wish I brought it up earlier. I would stay away from Ayton and Bamba.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#149 » by nymets1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Fultz is not a center prospect like Ayton and Bamba. NBA has moved away from Centers and is dominated by wings and guards.

clyde21
RealGM

Post#150 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 pm

nymets1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Simmons is not a Center, The NBA has moved away from Centers and is mostly dominated by wings and guards, I wish I brought it up earlier. I would stay away from Ayton and Bamba.

This is completely different argument though. If you don't value Centers as much as other positions, that's fine, but him losing in the first round has no bearing on his stock or where he'll be picked.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#151 » by anthony00 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:JJJ definitely has bust potential no way I would pick him as high as 3-4 that some of these mock drafts have. Bridges is borderline top 10

??
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#152 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 pm

nymets1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Fultz is not a center prospect like Ayton and Bamba. NBA has moved away from Centers and is dominated by wings and guards.

In general I agree with you. I wouldn't take Ayton #1 either....not just because of that game though.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#153 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:32 pm

It's hard to know with JJJ being the youngest top prospect by a fair margin and playing for Izzo who relies more on his veteran guys. Obviously his defense and shooting this year were impressive. He had #s similar to Towns but shot better from deep.

Towns actually also was on a team relying a lot on the sophomore Harrison twins and junior WCS.

Reminds me of Towns tourney game performance here... https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2015-03-26-kentucky.html

He had those games without eye popping #s... https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2015-03-21-cincinnati.html
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#154 » by nymets1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

In general I agree with you. I wouldn't take Ayton #1 either....not just because of that game though.

Who would you want the Suns to draft? I want the Magic to draft another guy similar to Jonathan Isaac( Versatile, Can defend multiple positions, athletic, 3 point shooter) except Isaac hasn't shown the 3 point shot.

In this year's draft that is either Bagley, JJJ or Mikal Bridges, maybe Shai Gilgeous Alexander

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#155 » by nymets1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12 pm

This year's prospects are overrated, not all of them but some of them. In college guys like Michael Jordan, Westbrook, John Wall, Karl Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis, James Harden, etc don't get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

If guys like Lebron, Kobe, Garnett played in college, They wouldn't get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

The only big name prospects still playing going in the sweet 16- Bagley, Mikal Bridges and Shai Gilgeous Alexander, maybe Wendell Carter.

SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#156 » by SlowPaced » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:14 pm

nymets1 wrote:This year's prospects are overrated, not all of them but some of them. In college guys like Michael Jordan, Westbrook, John Wall, Karl Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis, James Harden, etc don't get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

Ben Simmons didn't even make the tournament.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#157 » by NBAFan93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:20 pm

nymets1 wrote:This year's prospects are overrated, not all of them but some of them. In college guys like Michael Jordan, Westbrook, John Wall, Karl Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis, James Harden, etc don't get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

If guys like Lebron, Kobe, Garnett played in college, They wouldn't get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

The only big name prospects still playing going in the sweet 16- Bagley, Mikal Bridges and Shai Gilgeous Alexander, maybe Wendell Carter.

I agree. Makes me think these guys today just aren’t team players w/ a winning attitude or something.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#158 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 pm

nymets1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

Who would you want the Suns to draft? I want the Magic to draft another guy similar to Jonathan Isaac( Versatile, Can defend multiple positions, athletic, 3 point shooter) except Isaac hasn't shown the 3 point shot.

In this year's draft that is either Bagley, JJJ or Mikal Bridges, maybe Shai Gilgeous Alexander

Ideally Doncic. After that, Ayton.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#159 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Towns, Wall, Davis all played on Kentucky. Kentucky doesn't get bounced in the first round because they're loaded.

And Michael Jordan? Who are you Skip Bayless?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#160 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Davis and Hogg were impressive against UNC.
Both are fringe first rounders. If they continue to play at that level wouldn't be shocked to see them in the title game. If that happens Hogg is a first round lock.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to The General Board