March Madness | NBA prospect watch

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Re: March Madness | NBA prospect watch 

Post#281 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 am

Malik Newman has been a monster the 2nd half of the season. Graham has really been struggling to score lately.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#282 » by BlueSan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 am

raptor jesus wrote:
Tigersrule wrote:Refs cost Duke that game tbh. That call on Wendel Carter changed the entire game.

Coach K cost Duke the game. Kansas is a very good outside shooting team, so playing a zone which gives up a ton of open looks was a terrible strategy. I think Duke wins that game comfortably had they switched to man defence once Kansas got comfortable attacking the zone.

You think so?

I have an interesting stat for you that I think tells you more about what happened. So once again to remind you Kansas had 18 TURN OVERS.
18 thats a huge number to have...

But there is this one stat tells you just how on earth Kansas was able to win it...because 3 point shoots you are mentioning... Kansas was shooting 36% which is good but nothing like amazing...

But the following stat I think tells you just how they were still able to win it:

Duke's rebounds = 32
Kansas' rebounds = 47

So Duke who is depending on their centers/PF to make it happen and naturally their rebounding got outjumped by 15 rebounds?
Something wrong with the above right? ;)
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#283 » by raptor jesus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 pm

BlueSan wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:
Tigersrule wrote:Refs cost Duke that game tbh. That call on Wendel Carter changed the entire game.

Coach K cost Duke the game. Kansas is a very good outside shooting team, so playing a zone which gives up a ton of open looks was a terrible strategy. I think Duke wins that game comfortably had they switched to man defence once Kansas got comfortable attacking the zone.

You think so?

I have an interesting stat for you that I think tells you more about what happened. So once again to remind you Kansas had 18 TURN OVERS.
18 thats a huge number to have...

But there is this one stat tells you just how on earth Kansas was able to win it...because 3 point shoots you are mentioning... Kansas was shooting 36% which is good but nothing like amazing...

But the following stat I think tells you just how they were still able to win it:

Duke's rebounds = 32
Kansas' rebounds = 47

So Duke who is depending on their centers/PF to make it happen and naturally their rebounding got outjumped by 15 rebounds?
Something wrong with the above right? ;)

Surrendering O Rebs is a common pitfall when playing zone, because nobody has a box out assignment. So yeah, playing man likely solves that issue as well.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,137

Post#284 » by Froob » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Where do you guys see Grayson Allen landing in the draft?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#285 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Froob wrote:Where do you guys see Grayson Allen landing in the draft?

I'd be surprised if he got taken in the first round. Don't see his skillset translating at the next level.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#286 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

The Regime wrote:

I'd be surprised if he got taken in the first round. Don't see his skillset translating at the next level.

He's actually a PERFECT player to take late in the first. Can contribute immediately, and actually has a well diversified skill set.

I can see Boston taking him with their pick with Marcus Smart leaving in FA this summer. Really good compliment coming off the bench for Irving/Brown/Rozier.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#287 » by BlueSan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:53 pm

I wouldnt take him in the first. Plenty of other playmakers, ball handlers to pick first, heck at least one is on his team
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#288 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:06 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The Regime wrote:

He's actually a PERFECT player to take late in the first. Can contribute immediately, and actually has a well diversified skill set.

I can see Boston taking him with their pick with Marcus Smart leaving in FA this summer. Really good compliment coming off the bench for Irving/Brown/Rozier.

Maybe but I think there are likely better defensive options at 26 if the goal replacing Smart.
K Thomas or Jacob Evans if they fall that far would make sense but I'd bet on them being gone so who knows. I'd take Frazier or Bruce Brown before Allen
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#289 » by nymets1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 am

Villanova I think is undefeated when they hold their opponents under 60 points. Kansas won't win if they don't score 60 points. Villanova I think scores at least 70 points. Loyola Chicago and Michigan I think is a low scoring game, both teams play about the same level of defense, It comes down to which team makes more plays on offense.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#290 » by nymets1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 pm

So we ready for Loyola Chicago vs Michigan?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#291 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Apr 1, 2018 12:40 am

Moritz Wagner dominated tonight...what do you guys think of him as a NBA prospect?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#292 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 2:08 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:Moritz Wagner dominated tonight...what do you guys think of him as a NBA prospect?

I like him. It's hard to know. He's a big time guy though..he brings it on the big stage. He is insanely efficient offensively too and has improved quite a bit on the defensive side of the ball every year.

I mean he is a perfect stretch 4 type candidate. Even if off the bench, he could be valuable. I wouldn't mind the Suns taking him at 31 if he is there, depending on who they take with other picks.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#293 » by Black Mage » Sun Apr 1, 2018 3:04 am

Congrats to the men from NOVA. Dominant win over Kansas tonight. On to Michigan!

LET'S GO NOVA!!!!!-
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#294 » by Atmanne » Sun Apr 1, 2018 3:04 am

Is Paschall considered an NBA talent?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#295 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 3:19 am

Atmanne wrote:Is Paschall considered an NBA talent?

I don't think so. At least not before tonight. But he wouldn't be drafted high enough this year to declare (if he was drafted at all) so he will need to bring it next year, which is his senior year.
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#296 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 3:28 am

It blows my mind Taj Gibson and Doug Mcdermott can get traded for someone like Cam Payne but people don't think Jalen Brunson is a first round pick.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#297 » by whocurrz » Sun Apr 1, 2018 7:54 am

Michigan defense is dry good and did such a good job preventing 3s that Loyola not made few but didn’t even take them. But great three point shooting for Nova is a difference of them blowing the team out. They have good defense and Michigan offense didn’t look like they’ll be able to keep up unless they completely shut down Nova. Michigan is good but had a nice schedule getting here. Villanova looks better than any other team in this tourney.

It’s still one game so anything can happen but Villanova looks a class above anyone else honestly
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#298 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 1, 2018 4:46 pm

whocurrz wrote:Michigan defense is dry good and did such a good job preventing 3s that Loyola not made few but didn’t even take them. But great three point shooting for Nova is a difference of them blowing the team out. They have good defense and Michigan offense didn’t look like they’ll be able to keep up unless they completely shut down Nova. Michigan is good but had a nice schedule getting here. Villanova looks better than any other team in this tourney.

It’s still one game so anything can happen but Villanova looks a class above anyone else honestly

Yeah there is no way Michigan has that Texas Tech level defense which was the only team that almost pulled off the upset.
If Michigan is in this game it's because shots are not falling for Nova, not because of Michigan defense[although I expect they will defend better than Kansas who got mauled on the perimeter with Azubuike on the court].
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#299 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 7:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
whocurrz wrote:Michigan defense is dry good and did such a good job preventing 3s that Loyola not made few but didn’t even take them. But great three point shooting for Nova is a difference of them blowing the team out. They have good defense and Michigan offense didn’t look like they’ll be able to keep up unless they completely shut down Nova. Michigan is good but had a nice schedule getting here. Villanova looks better than any other team in this tourney.

Yeah there is no way Michigan has that Texas Tech level defense which was the only team that almost pulled off the upset.
If Michigan is in this game it's because shots are not falling for Nova, not because of Michigan defense[although I expect they will defend better than Kansas who got mauled on the perimeter with Azubuike on the court].

I've felt like Michigan was the hotter team coming into this final four, as was Loyola. Michigan not having lost since Feb 6th has been on a roll. Nova just got insanely hot early against Kansas and put them into too big of a hole to climb out of. And Paschall was amazingly hot.

Nova tied a final four record for threes in a game with 3:45 left in the first half. It wasn't really a normal game for them so I expect them to come back down to earth a little. I think it should be a good game.

I do always put a lot of stock in guys having been there before having that mental edge though, so Brunson and Bridges and some of their other guys have that. Some of Michigan's guys seem like they are on a serious mission though, most notably Moritz Wagner.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#300 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Apr 2, 2018 12:24 am

I'll preface this by saying I'm a Michigan fan and I also think that Michigan is going to lose to a better Villanova team. Having said that, you can't completely count them out. These are some interesting numbers from the tournament.

Loyola came into yesterday's game shooting point .417 % from the 3-point line on 18 attempts per game. Michigan hell then to 1 make out of 10 shots. Michigan has held opponents to about .250% and an average of 15 shots per game. Villanova is holding opponents to the same 3-point percentage. Michigan has shot atrociously from 3 point range in 4 out of its 5 games, only shooting well against Texas A&M. they were much better 3-point shooting team coming into the tournament .
Villanova has shot incredibly well in four out of its five games, making threes that over .440% clip.

Both teams defend well from 3 but if you go by what has happened in the tournament so far it seems much more likely Villanova will shoot well from 3 and Michigan won't. if that happens it's going to be a very long night for Michigan. I think they're only chance is to somehow duplicate what they did against Texas A and M, but I think it's much more likely that this won't happen. they also have the disadvantage of being a really lousy free throw shooting team with two of their main guys, Simpson and Matthews, barely shooting over to 50% from the line over the past month.

Even though they were a 3 seed and ranked 7th nationally coming into the tournament, Michigan is kind of a Cinderella Story because they have completely overachieved and exceeded expectations for for them that people had at the beginning of the season. They are playing with house money now, and I'll just be happy with a competitive game.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall

Return to The General Board