The Myth about the Raptors in the Playoffs

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Hoodwink
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,273

Re: The Myth about the Raptors in the Playoffs 

Post#141 » by Hoodwink » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 am

The raptors are pretenders until proven otherwise. Stop with the raptors posts.

#stayHumble
Deezzraptors
Pro Prospect
And1: 417

Re: RE: Re: The Myth about the Raptors in the Playoffs 

Post#142 » by Deezzraptors » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:09 am

Hoodwink wrote:The raptors are pretenders until proven otherwise. Stop with the raptors posts.

#stayHumble
They made the ecf last year, what would make them for real in your eyes ?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#143 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:20 am

Deezzraptors wrote:
Hoodwink wrote:The raptors are pretenders until proven otherwise. Stop with the raptors posts.

#stayHumble

Were they all sitting courtside watching Cavs/Celtics?
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Turgon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,607

Post#144 » by Turgon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 am

Deezzraptors wrote:

#stayHumble

What?!
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#145 » by TurboTitan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:24 pm

yawn
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#146 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Pretty hard to debunk myths about the playoffs until we actually get to the playoffs, no?
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#147 » by dukes_wild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Raptors fail to beat Cavs: Playoff chokers

Celtics fail to beat Cavs: It's ok they are still young
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#148 » by lebron stopper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

dukes_wild wrote:Raptors fail to beat Cavs: Playoff chokers

To be fair they literally did blow a 15 point lead to lose by 3 the other day. Then again that's what happens every time Rudy Bargnani can't hit the ocean with literally no one around him and can't play a lick of defense and you let him take too many shots and switch onto guys he has sub-zero hope of guarding anyway while hot handed All-Star Kyle Lowry barely sees the ball in his hands in the 4th quarter. :nonono: :noway: :banghead:
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#149 » by Froob » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

They only have Rozier, Smart, Brown and Horford left over...

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
dukes_wild
RealGM

Post#150 » by dukes_wild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:54 pm

lebron stopper wrote:

To be fair they literally did blow a 15 point lead to lose by 3 the other day. Then again that's what happens every time Rudy Bargnani can't hit the ocean with literally no one around him and can't play a lick of defense and you let him take too many shots and switch onto guys he has sub-zero hope of guarding anyway while hot handed All-Star Kyle Lowry barely sees the ball in his hands in the 4th quarter. :nonono: :noway: :banghead:

Live and die with DeRozan he is our MVP remember #3 on NBA.com MVP rankings we're so lucky to have him

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#151 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:02 pm

This ol' song and dance.

"Didn't we do this last year"

I don't understand how the point can be missed. We get it Raptors fans, you have the best bench in the league. You aren't playing ISO ball. The fact is when you get to the playoffs its about your top few guys, rotations squeeze down from 10 to 8. Defenses get tighter, every possession matters. Until Derozan and Lowry prove to not choke in the playoffs, nothing else matters.

Nobody is rooting against you, we just want to see it done first. And this whole business about Derozan shooting 3s and passing now? The guy is still averaging 3.5 3s per game at HORRID %, and 1 assist per game more than last year.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#152 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Veggamattic wrote:How about we discuss the playoff results of the Harden and Paul. They both have a very bad post season record and they don't get nearly the flak that Kyle & Demar do.

Give me a break for one CP3 playoff shortcomings are more well documented than any player in history.

Second, the difference is Kyle/Demar have played together for many years... This is Cp3/Hardens first year together. We know they have both failed alone, lets see how they do together.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#153 » by lebron stopper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:10 pm

dukes_wild wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:

Live and die with DeRozan he is our MVP remember #3 on NBA.com MVP rankings we're so lucky to have him

He's been off lately for whatever reason but he's finally hitting clutch shots. As long as he doesn't hog the ball and let it stick, we're good.

Ibaka is going to be a real problem for us though. He can easily shoot the Raptors out of a playoff series, like Harrison Barnes did in his last Finals.
dukes_wild
RealGM

Post#154 » by dukes_wild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm

lebron stopper wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:

He's been off lately for whatever reason but he's finally hitting clutch shots. As long as he doesn't hog the ball and let it stick, we're good.

Ibaka is going to be a real problem for us though. He can easily shoot the Raptors out of a playoff series, like Harrison Barnes did in his last Finals.

Teams are gonna leave Ibaka open and he's gonna build a house with bricks, it's going to be painful to watch as Raptors fans

Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#155 » by Veggamattic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:How about we discuss the playoff results of the Harden and Paul. They both have a very bad post season record and they don't get nearly the flak that Kyle & Demar do.

Give me a break for one CP3 playoff shortcomings are more well documented than any player in history.

Second, the difference is Kyle/Demar have played together for many years... This is Cp3/Hardens first year together. We know they have both failed alone, lets see how they do together.

Show me some of this talk this year. Try and find some links...for every one you find discussing Paul's playoff outlook for this season, I'll find 5 that talk about the Raps.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#156 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Show me some of this talk this year. Try and find some links...for every one you find discussing Paul's playoff outlook for this season, I'll find 5 that talk about the Raps.

Is that really a hard concept to understand?

CP3 is on a new team with arguably the 2nd best player in the league.

If Derozan was traded to the Cavs, do you think people would be talking about Derozans playoff failure still?

These 2 situations are not equal.
Veggamattic
Veteran

Post#157 » by Veggamattic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:42 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

If Derozan was traded to the Cavs, do you think people would be talking about Derozans playoff failure still?

I get your point but you are just talking about 1 player. It's not like CP3 was traded next to Kawhi...he was traded to a team with another star equally known for stinking in the playoffs. This story is not getting the play that the Raps choke story is because reporters don't know the Raps and especially the nuance that is this years team vs previous teams...It's a massive change. The Raps choke is a cop out by crappy journalists.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#158 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:

I get your point but you are just talking about 1 player. It's not like CP3 was traded next to Kawhi...he was traded to a team with another star equally known for stinking in the playoffs. This story is not getting the play that the Raps choke story is because reporters don't know the Raps and especially the nuance that is this years team vs previous teams...It's a massive change. The Raps choke is a cop out by crappy journalists.

The difference is that Harden has choked 1 series, and it was to the 2nd seed when his team was the 3rd.

in 14/15 they finished the 2nd seed. The destroyed the Mavericks, beat a really good Clippers team, then lost to the eventual champions in the conference finals.

in 2015/2016 they were an 8th seed and had tons of internal conflict with an interim coach. Nobody expected anything out of that team. If you want to say they flopped in the regular season sure, but playoffs they played the Warriors first round and lost as expected.

2016/2017 they handled a Thunder team pretty easily, then went onto face the 2nd seed Spurs. The Spurs came out rocking the Warriors the next series prior to Zaza purposely injuring Kawhi.

So the 1 series in question was that Spurs/Rockets series where the Spurs were actually favored and the 2nd seed and people said Harden gave up.

Also, I know you guys love Derozan, but he isn't on the same planet in terms of talent as James Harden is. Plus please compare there playoff stats.

Harden - 21 per, 59% TS, BPM +6, VORP +6,

Derozan - 16 per, 49% TS, BPM -2, VORP -.1

Another thing, Raptors fans are saying they should be favorites to beat the Cavs, because they changed their style so much and this is a much different team.

Even though the Rockets are actually the best regular season team, added a superstar in CP3, and have the best player of both teams in Harden, I haven't seen 1 thread that says the Rockets are overwhelming favorites to the Warriors. Most fans acknowledge they have a chance but a chance is just that.

I think the Raptors have a chance to beat the Cavs, but its just a chance. I wouldnt go anywhere close to saying the Raptors or Rockets are favorites.
Veggamattic
Veteran

Post#159 » by Veggamattic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

The difference is that Harden has choked 1 series, and it was to the 2nd seed when his team was the 3rd.

in 14/15 they finished the 2nd seed. The destroyed the Mavericks, beat a really good Clippers team, then lost to the eventual champions in the conference finals.

in 2015/2016 they were an 8th seed and had tons of internal conflict with an interim coach. Nobody expected anything out of that team. If you want to say they flopped in the regular season sure, but playoffs they played the Warriors first round and lost as expected.

2016/2017 they handled a Thunder team pretty easily, then went onto face the 2nd seed Spurs. The Spurs came out rocking the Warriors the next series prior to Zaza purposely injuring Kawhi.

So the 1 series in question was that Spurs/Rockets series where the Spurs were actually favored and the 2nd seed and people said Harden gave up.

Also, I know you guys love Derozan, but he isn't on the same planet in terms of talent as James Harden is. Plus please compare there playoff stats.

Harden - 21 per, 59% TS, BPM +6, VORP +6,

Derozan - 16 per, 49% TS, BPM -2, VORP -.1

Another thing, Raptors fans are saying they should be favorites to beat the Cavs, because they changed their style so much and this is a much different team.

Even though the Rockets are actually the best regular season team, added a superstar in CP3, and have the best player of both teams in Harden, I haven't seen 1 thread that says the Rockets are overwhelming favorites to the Warriors. Most fans acknowledge they have a chance but a chance is just that.

I think the Raptors have a chance to beat the Cavs, but its just a chance. I wouldnt go anywhere close to saying the Raptors or Rockets are favorites.

I'm not even a Derozan fan. Can I ask you how many full games you have watched this year? GS has too many injury problems to be favoured and the Raps already went 2 for 2 against the Rockets. The beauty of this team is how the bench can make up for it any time the stars aren't shining. It makes a HUGE difference. It will allow the starters to be more rested as the season goes on. The playoffs are grueling. The Raps bench is REAL!
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#160 » by Lalouie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Veggamattic wrote:So, during the last 2 years in the playoffs the Warriors and the Cavs were easily the best 2 teams and won way more games than any other teams. Who has the 3rd most wins? The Raptors. Well, if they have the most wins then surely the reason people talk about the Raps being a poor playoff team must be the weak competition they played against? Oh, they lost to the Cavs both seasons? Well, the Cavs were vulnerable at that point and the Raps should have beaten them. Oh, the Cavs were playing some of the best basketball in NBA history at the time and demolishing teams they faced. :nonono:

What happened 3-4 years ago is hardly relevant now by any metric, so why then does nearly everyone always talk about the Raps like they are a disastrous playoff team when being asked what they think of the Raptors chances in the Playoffs?

Because they haven't done anything in the playoffs yet.. thats why

Return to The General Board