If you could contract the league by 8 teams, who would you get rid of and why?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Re: If you could contract the league by 8 teams, who would you get rid of and why? 

Post#21 » by peZt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Just going by my personal relevance in this order

Hornets
Pelicans
Nets
Kings
Grizzlies
Pistons
Magic
Clippers

I just don't care at all about the first 4-5 Teams

Oh and if I could swap teams then obviously Thunder for the Sonics
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Re: If you could contract the league by 8 teams, who would you get rid of and why? 

Post#22 » by CptCrunch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm

East:
Nets - there is already the Knicks
Hornets - not a treadmill team, they are even treadmill at tanking. Can't even tank right.

West
Kings - we don't need another teams 80 miles away from the Bay Area
Timberwolves - losing-est franchise in NBA history
Clippers - Take note, just because a city is large doesn't mean we need a second team.
Grizzlies - Literally the worst franchise location

We'll move Pelicans to the East to have 12 teams in each conference.
HG
Rookie
And1: 118

Post#23 » by HG » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:37 pm

From a purely financial perspective, the 8 smallest markets/least profitable teams or teams with another team in the same location (i.e. LA)

1. Phoenix Suns
2. Atlanta Hawks
3. LA Clippers
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Sacramento Kings
6. Charlotte Hornets
7. Memphis Grizzlies
8. Detroit Pistons (I would've contracted the Cavs, but not as long as LeBron is there)
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,711

Post#24 » by Romeiro Celtic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I'd get rid of -

Hornets: they were never a relevant team and will never be in NC.
Memphis: I used to prefer when it was in Vancouver. Better market and better city overrall.
Phoenix: Terrible culture there, hate that city. It'd be better if it was anywhere else.
Thunder: Supersonics were a way better team.
Clippers: Send them to San Diego or to Mexico City. No need for another team in LA.
Nets: Same reason, no need for another team in NY. Send them back to New Jersey or move them to Kansas City.
Warriors: I used to prefer them in San Francisco. "San Francisco Warriors" sounds better to me.
Hawks: Send them to Vegas, baby.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Seabass11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#25 » by Seabass11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm

East:
- BKN - No city needs 2 teams, not sure how much of the Jersey fanbase followed the team when they moved
- MIL - Were recently rumors of them selling. Very close to CHI
- IND - Again, Midwest has an abundance of teams. IND has never won a chip (and I'm not getting rid of my team lol)
- TOR - Murica, one of the newer teams etc...

West:
- SAC - one state does not need 4 teams
- LAC - one city sure as h*** doesn't need two teams, especially when one is the Lakers
- HOU - Two per state
- NOLA - No history and one of the newer franchises so no lifelong fanbases to piss off
ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#26 » by ISayshowmee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:I would get rid of No team with a championship.

OKC - bring back Seattle
LAC - unnecessary in L.A. move them to Mexico City
NOLA - move them to Louisville
MEMP - go back to Vancouver
SAC - subtract 2002 and they've been a waste for eternity lol
MIN - wacky nickname

Honestly my preference isn't to contract any teams but the moves I suggested I would like to see

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

Clippers ---- Yes, definitely yes :)
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Post#27 » by slickrickstyles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

based on our need to have a telethon in the past and insanely low ticket sales before the Hibbert era im shocked the Pacers arent topping these lists...
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#28 » by Black Mage » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Sacramento
Orlando
Phoenix
Charlotte
Atlanta
Chicago Bulls
Memphis
New York

Use this chance to dump garbage ownership in Bulls, Knicks and Sacramento.

Then in 2 years relocate Bucks to NYC, Wolves to Chicago, Pacers to Sacramento and Pelicans to Phoenix. This moves low attendance fan bases to high attendance fan bases.
HG
Rookie
And1: 118

Post#29 » by HG » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Lol @ all you folks wanting to contract the Raps....4th largest media market by geographic area in the NBA!! (After LA/NY/Chi)
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#30 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Hawks
Nets
Kings
Clippers
Suns
Hornets
Cavs
Grizzlies

Only reason I'm not picking the Knicks is because their high value does help the league grow. But I'm beyond apathy as a fan by now.
CptCanada
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#31 » by CptCanada » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Awww man did you guys have to put the Raptors? You know they are going to come running to this thread with their torches and pitchforks demanding to know why out Canadian friends don't get any respect.

Lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#32 » by Mr. E » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Seabass11 wrote:East:
- BKN - No city needs 2 teams, not sure how much of the Jersey fanbase followed the team when they moved
- MIL - Were recently rumors of them selling. Very close to CHI
- IND - Again, Midwest has an abundance of teams. IND has never won a chip (and I'm not getting rid of my team lol)
- TOR - Murica, one of the newer teams etc...

West:
- SAC - one state does not need 4 teams
- LAC - one city sure as h*** doesn't need two teams, especially when one is the Lakers
- HOU - Two per state
- NOLA - No history and one of the newer franchises so no lifelong fanbases to piss off

So you would get rid of the Texas team from the largest city?

A lot of people in this thread seem to be going by maps and not anything else. The honest truth is that not only does the State of Texas do just fine with three franchises, they could easily add a fourth in Austin and it would be a better choice than a lot of other markets.

As for everyone suggesting contracting the Clippers or Nets - you are talking about the two largest cities and markets in the United States by a considerable margin. Both of those metropolitan areas would be able to support a third franchise each and it would be more economically viable than a team in a smaller city with less of a corporate base.

Contraction is a bad idea for the NBA, but if you're talking about contracting teams from places like New York City, LA, anywhere in Texas, Washington D.C., etc. then the discussion is not about economic reality.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Scuall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,761

Post#33 » by Scuall » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 pm

dakomish23 wrote:New York could support 3 bad perennial lottery teams

FTFY
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#34 » by qm22 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 pm

- Toronto, because of the OP being an ass, for a) adding Detroit and b) also saying he avoided teams with a storied history. :o
- Boston, because Ainge kind of annoys me, and if Toronto goes no one will keep their fans in check on RealGM.
- Dallas, because Cuban *really* is annoying to see. Hard to see. Often seen, but hard- because of his nature - to be looked at, I meant.
- NY, because no one keeps their fans in check besides their bad record, and not enough, and Dolan too.
- OKC because of karma I guess, but I don't want to contract anymore, just filling up to 8.
- Sacramento for awful management, too many Cali teams.
- Clippers, because I suddenly remembered Balmer's annoyingness and I hate the direction of reverse-progress Windows went that I assume he had some hand in. 2 teams in one city is weird too.
- I guess Brooklyn to be safe, in case the NY problem transfers if the Knicks left.

The purpose of this thread was to instigate enmity, right?
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#35 » by The Moose » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Cartuse wrote:
6ixgrod wrote:Please state your favourite team as well. I'm really curious to see if fans that hate a rival would get rid of them, or keep them to beat them. As a Raptors fan, I would turf, in no particular order:

Sacramento
Charlotte
Orlando
Memphis
Phoenix
Detroit
Brooklyn
LA Clippers

As for why, I tried to avoid teams with a long and storied history that might be going through a recent rough patch, while also removing teams with a long history of losing (Hello Clippers!). Notable rivalries also went into the decision.

:lol: :lol:

Apparently 11 conference finals appearances and 3 championships in the past 3 decades doesn't mean much.
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#36 » by Tecmo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm surprised Denver hasn't been brought up. I'm a Nuggets fan. The franchise is pretty irrelevant in the NBA's history, has never won an NBA championship, has poor attendance & low TV ratings, incompetent ownership, and is viewed as a scheduling nightmare because of time zone and geographical location (The NBA has actively worked to ensure teams don't have a back to back with the second game in Denver).

Yea, I'd contract he Nuggets and not look back.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#37 » by Mr. E » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Jokicfan wrote:I'm surprised Denver hasn't been brought up. I'm a Nuggets fan. The franchise is pretty irrelevant in the NBA's history, has never won an NBA championship, has poor attendance & low TV ratings, incompetent ownership, and is viewed as a scheduling nightmare because of time zone and geographical location (The NBA has actively worked to ensure teams don't have a back to back with the second game in Denver).

Yea, I'd contract he Nuggets and not look back.

If the NBA contracted the one place where weed was legal we might see an NBAPA riot.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#38 » by pwrshft99 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

8 is too much, 5 will do

Kings
Hornets
Nets
Pelicans
Mavericks
#sadbullsfan
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#39 » by qm22 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 pm

The Moose wrote:
Cartuse wrote:
6ixgrod wrote:Please state your favourite team as well. I'm really curious to see if fans that hate a rival would get rid of them, or keep them to beat them. As a Raptors fan, I would turf, in no particular order:

Sacramento
Charlotte
Orlando
Memphis
Phoenix
Detroit
Brooklyn
LA Clippers

As for why, I tried to avoid teams with a long and storied history that might be going through a recent rough patch, while also removing teams with a long history of losing (Hello Clippers!). Notable rivalries also went into the decision.

:lol: :lol:

Apparently 11 conference finals appearances and 3 championships in the past 3 decades doesn't mean much.

Interesting point, but there is no room with the Raptors being around. In case you didn't know they've once had Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, they've made the playoffs.
spoiled2dacore
Senior
And1: 331

Post#40 » by spoiled2dacore » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:05 pm

If the NBA were to contract, Toronto would definitely be on the radar. The team is not American, less hassle from customs. American media doesn't recognize them. Players don't want to play for a Canadian team (hard to sign free agents from other teams). Why even start this thread? Don't even wanna think this.

Return to The General Board