Would Shaq be exposed defensively in today's NBA?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,380

Re: Would Shaq be exposed defensively in today's NBA? 

Post#121 » by alebaba » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:
alebaba wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Yhea buddy, tell me more about how I've never played basketball in my life. I'd love for you to show me that on court sometime. You're more than welcome to explain to me how Shaq is going to guard the spacing of a modern NBA offense out of 28 feet. I'm all ears big guy. :lol:

No wonder Joel Embiid is a bum, its not like hes a top 10 player in the nba.

Did I say that Shaq wouldn't be a top 10 player in the NBA today? I must've blacked out when I said that 'cause I don't remember. :-?

Bruh, you said Kevin Druant would be able to guard Shaq and team would be able to run his ass out. Cmon dude. Ppl act like Shaq was a bad defender or something, obviously never seen a prime Shaq before.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#122 » by druggas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm

A lot of small centers, would be suffering from Shaqitis.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#123 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

alebaba wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
alebaba wrote:

No wonder Joel Embiid is a bum, its not like hes a top 10 player in the nba.

Did I say that Shaq wouldn't be a top 10 player in the NBA today? I must've blacked out when I said that 'cause I don't remember. :-?

Bruh, you said Kevin Druant would be able to guard Shaq and team would be able to run his ass out. Cmon dude. Ppl act like Shaq was a bad defender or something, obviously never seen a prime Shaq before.

No I didn't. I said Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kevin Durant if I put Durant at at Center. Stop making **** up. The least you can do is read the posts you're responding to.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,057

Post#124 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Shaq only became a weak-ish defender because he’d dominated the league so throughly that he got bored and he let himself get out of shape. That and a feeling that gaining weight was good for the banging post game of the time. If he played in this era, and needed to be an elite PnR defender to compete for championships, that’s exactly what he’d become. You’d see a physical version of Shaq that much more resembled 90s Shaq than 2000s Shaq.
McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Post#125 » by McKenna » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 pm

He might have to move those tree trunk legs on D, but he'd still be an automatic 2pts down the other end.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#126 » by Jkam31 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Prime Shaq wouldn’t make a roster in this era

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,287

Post#127 » by rapstarter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 pm

I love how someone's idea of exposing Shaq is putting Durant on him. LOL.

If you think Nikola Jokic is a good player in this league, Shaq was twice the athlete and player.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#128 » by og15 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Shaq was exposed defensively via pick and roll after he got big even when he played, an example was by Mike Bibby with the Kings, so yea, of course he would, and there would be some teams that are especially bad matchups, but he would also make it up on the other end. He would also force some teams who go small to add some lumbering guys to their bench/roster.
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#129 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Jkam31 wrote:Prime Shaq wouldn’t make a roster in this era

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yea I mean putting kevin durant on him would make him pack his bags and go to china. Only if the kings played peja at C and ran him off the court they wouldnt have had to play that game 6. I heard that no one knew what a pick and roll was untill 2015 when curry started the largest revolution since 1917.
ckman
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,198

Post#130 » by ckman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:
alebaba wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

No I didn't. I said Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kevin Durant if I put Durant at at Center. Stop making **** up. The least you can do is read the posts you're responding to.

This is just silly, you put Curry ,Harden or any perimeter player at center , Shaq won’t be able to guard them too.
The things is , that would also mean you need to guard him , Shaq would break them into pieces at the other end before the 1st quarter end.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#131 » by thamadkant » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm

He may give up some perimeter shots but he would average 30ppg on 60% FG and grab 15 rebounds a game with a couple of blocks.

So he may not protect the perimeter... but centers today are too "lean" to stop a 300 pound explosive 7'1 player who WANTS to dunk it all the time.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#132 » by DaPessimist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:23 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:Shaq’s biggest issue would be staying out of foul trouble. The way refs call flops on the post these days, he might not be able to stay on the court.

:roll:

Not sure why you would :roll:

High P&R all game with ticky tack perimeter fouls. Undersized forwards and guards flopping all game in the post. Shaq trying to play a power post game in the modern league would certainly lead to constant foul trouble.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,380

Post#133 » by alebaba » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:
alebaba wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I didn't make anything up, stop lying to yourself and I already told you why putting Kevin Durant at center wouldn't work but you totally ignored it.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,129

Post#134 » by Plutonashfan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am

Did people here not see Shaq his first 3 years in the league. He was lean and mean. He works average 35 and 15 easily and if weak point guards that couldn't dunk Ala Curry Conley or Irving tried to lay up on him that ball would be the third row, no doubt.
The Champ is HERE!!!
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#135 » by bigbreakfast » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:58 am

We have a thread like this every month. Yea Shaq would have trouble, just like he did when he played. People act like running a dominant interior defender to the perimeter and involving them in perimeter action is a completely new concept when it's not.

Furthermore every poster act like Shaq wouldn't be feasting on players of this era like he did in his era... Very little thought put into these posts.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,499

Post#136 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 am

og15 wrote:Shaq was exposed defensively via pick and roll after he got big even when he played, an example was by Mike Bibby with the Kings, so yea, of course he would, and there would be some teams that are especially bad matchups, but he would also make it up on the other end. He would also force some teams who go small to add some lumbering guys to their bench/roster.

The question is how much would he be able to make up...honestly this isn't a bad thread if we're talking the Warriors. If Shaq is shooting like 70% on 18 attempts a game it would get interesting.
reborn123
Pro Prospect
And1: 780

Post#137 » by reborn123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:01 am

He’d be a more beastly version of Dwight Howard. I think Shaq has skills we weren’t able to see since he was relegated mostly to the post. He could put the ball on the floor and was a better passer than most realize. I remember a quote where he says we haven’t seen the other side of him (in basketball).
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#138 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:53 am

alebaba wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
alebaba wrote:

I didn't make anything up, stop lying to yourself and I already told you why putting Kevin Durant at center wouldn't work but you totally ignored it.

Yes, you did. I didn't say I'm putting Kevin Durant at Center so he can guard Shaq. I said I'm putting Durant at Center because Shaq won't be able to guard him. My goal is simple: I won't be able to stop him offensively anyways, so I will try to make him work as much as possible defensively. I'll push the pace, spread the floor, make him cover more dimensions of the court, make him have to switch as much as possible, and put him in the PNR consistently. It's indisputable that he'll have trouble with that.

I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time keeping up with this thread, but it's becoming more and more evident that you're the one who's never picked up a basketball.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,021

Post#139 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 am

Laker Shaq was still ten times more athletic than slow footed scrubs like Kanter and Okafor.

Put him in today's NBA with today's training regimes and knowing that he can't just rock up out of shape and expect to survive defensively, Shaq would be fine.

Young Shaq along with Wilt are probably the quickest and most explosive 7 footers in history.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#140 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:44 am

Shaq is one of the most dominant players to ever step on the court, I'm pretty sure no matter the opposing teams chose to do you're better off with him than without him. Also, do people think the 3 point shot was only recently introduced? Yes teams are jacking them up more often these days, but it's not like teams weren't putting up 3's in Shaq's career...weird

Return to The General Board