Tony Parker calls out Kawhi

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: Tony Parker calls out Kawhi 

Post#121 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I just saw the video of TPs remarks - wow. The title is correct and I agree that Pop is behind it. What the heck is going on? So is Kawhi’s camp worried he’s not 100% and will hurt his value? Is he pressuring the Spurs to give him the DPE max before he’ll play to cover himself? Or does he want to keep his options open? I’m just shocked. After seeing this a I do think that the Spurs are upset w/ him...
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#122 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Another terrible thread. That's not Parker calling him out. This isn't the dumbass Kardashians where it is drama 24/7. Get out of here with these stupid threads.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#123 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 pm

AussieRules wrote:The spurs finally having some off court drama for a change, it’s a bit refreshing to be honest. Who knew Kawhi could generate this much buzz lol :lol:

:lol:

Yeah - never though about that - maybe this is all about selling shoes and making Kawhi more popular...;)
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#124 » by dautjazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 pm

trwi7 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Pop has led a bunch of geriatrics and role players to a 42-30 record. I think he's doing an okay job.

And a 6x All-star still in his prime but yea, you know, all scrubs. :dontknow:

Almost 33 is still prime?

Not for everybody, but he is arguably having his best season yet. Highest ppg (adjusted PER36), highest PER, highest TS%, 2nd highest WS/48, highest ORTG, etc. If he's getting better and maybe hasn't even peaked, I'd say he's still in his prime.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#125 » by Pennebaker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Pop is a snake.

Pop is a snake? The only person that deserves criticism is Kawhi Leonard. The guy should be dying to play - the doctors should have to struggle to convince him not to play. But he just isn't built like that and it appears he's getting some bad advice from whoever.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,828

Post#126 » by azcatz11 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm

FNQ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:So how common is it for an organization to clear the player & the player going to his 'own doctors' and not wanting to play? I guess I'm kind of confused by this.

Theoretically, Player X can sign a $200M extension and before the first game his 'personal' doctor's don't clear him for whatever reason so he never has to play another game again?

Its not unheard of, but going public with that info is extremely rare.

Thoughts on my second point? Curious to know, from a contractual perspective, how something like that would shake out
WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#127 » by WalterBenjamin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 pm

I am fairly dissapointed in Leonard. I always tought he is a team first guy. And this team has given him evrything. He ain't a player of this magnitude in any other team.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#128 » by robbie84 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Pop HATES entitlement. He's built a culture at the Spurs of anti-entitlement. Does he think Kawahi is acting entitled? Not sure. Starting to look that way.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Post#129 » by Mister Ze » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 pm

Feel like it’s unfair to accuse Popovic of being behind all this. As if the players and other stakeholders aren’t also pushing for Leonard to return.

Pop seems like a straight shooter, if he wanted to call out Kawhi he wouldn’t need to get other people to do it.
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#130 » by HollowEarth » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 am

dautjazz wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
And a 6x All-star still in his prime but yea, you know, all scrubs. :dontknow:

Almost 33 is still prime?

Not for everybody, but he is arguably having his best season yet. Highest ppg (adjusted PER36), highest PER, highest TS%, 2nd highest WS/48, highest ORTG, etc. If he's getting better and maybe hasn't even peaked, I'd say he's still in his prime.

Also: Skilled big men have a different career arc, because reach doesn't decline with age.

Dirk, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Hakeem and Kareem were all still in their prime at age 33.
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: Tony Parker calls out Kawhi 

Post#131 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 am

HotTubMike wrote:
getitdone323 wrote:This title is a reach.

I don't think so. Him saying, "mine was a 100x worse" is definitely a shot.
3rd, that was a shot, call out, whatever term you want to use.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior

Post#132 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 am

lambchop wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:lol at tony calling out players

same guy who almost ruined the locker room when he slept with brent barry's wife

Though I agree, imo at the end of the day he actually did Brent a favor. She was probably cheating on him with other dudes anyway / would have cheated sooner or later so TP just exposed her
Well, if a buddy of yours exposes your girl in the same way, would you still say he did you a favor?

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,131

Post#133 » by lambchop » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:12 am

zFoxHoUnD-x wrote:
lambchop wrote:

same guy who almost ruined the locker room when he slept with brent barry's wife

Though I agree, imo at the end of the day he actually did Brent a favor. She was probably cheating on him with other dudes anyway / would have cheated sooner or later so TP just exposed her
Well, if a buddy of yours exposes your girl in the same way, would you still say he did you a favor?

honestly, YES.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior

Post#134 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:20 am

AussieRules wrote:The spurs finally having some off court drama for a change, it’s a bit refreshing to be honest. Who knew Kawhi could generate this much buzz lol
Lol I like it! But only because I hate pop and his pompous attitude.

zFoxHoUnD-x
Junior

Post#135 » by zFoxHoUnD-x » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:26 am

cursedsportsfan wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Bologna Smasher wrote:As others have mentioned, this is definitely Kawhi's camp calling the shots to protect him so he can get that designated player extension. The Spurs front office and the players also know it, it is why that story came out a few days ago saying that the Spurs were preparing to offer Kawhi the extension. Basically hoping they would ease up on the decision to continue to keep him out.

The NBA is a business first, sport second. If Kawhi comes back looking like damaged goods or gets ore-injured and doesn’t get his 200 mill extension will Tony Parker cut him some of his own salary to make up the difference? If not he should stfu.

Kawhi has nothing to gain by returning

This x100. This is a business first period. Easy for Tony to say as he has made his money and at the tailend of his career.

IT is recent proof that these franchises couldn't care less about players. Once you decline or show a pattern of injuries, these teams will just toss you to the curb.

I love basketball and am all about being competitive. But at the end of the day with the type of money that is at risk you have to look out for yourself.
This x1000. I love it when someone else says exactly what I was going to say. A real time saver. Thanks!

-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#136 » by -Sammy- » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 am

The reactions in this thread are fascinating to me: either Pop is a lowdown conniving snake or Leonard is a quitter and a selfish, terrible teammate, and in either case, the other side is the wholly-innocent victim. Suddenly Pop isn't the coach, mentor, and leader who's helped make the Spurs the most successful franchise of the last two decades, or else Leonard isn't the humble, hard-working, inspiring mid-first-round-pick-to-MVP-candidate success story-- all because of about six week's worth of rumors and half-stories.

Real life simply isn't that simple and tidy; we just don't know the entire situation, and in all probability, both sides have done some right and some wrong because both sides are just trying to do the right thing from their perspectives. All this 'Pop is good/bad now', 'Leonard is good/bad now' oversimplifying, while expected and even understandable, is wrongheaded. None of us knows the full story and none of us will until it's resolved.
WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#137 » by WalterBenjamin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:The reactions in this thread are fascinating to me: either Pop is a lowdown conniving snake or Leonard is a quitter and a selfish, terrible teammate, and in either case, the other side is the wholly-innocent victim. Suddenly Pop isn't the coach, mentor, and leader who's helped make the Spurs the most successful franchise of the last two decades, or else Leonard isn't the humble, hard-working, inspiring mid-first-round-pick-to-MVP-candidate success story-- all because of about six week's worth of rumors and half-stories.

Real life simply isn't that simple and tidy; we just don't know the entire situation, and in all probability, both sides have done some right and some wrong because both sides are just trying to do the right thing from their perspectives. All this 'Pop is good/bad now', 'Leonard is good/bad now' oversimplifying, while expected and even understandable, is wrongheaded. None of us knows the full story and none of us will until it's resolved.

Of course one should take sides. Don't pretend like there is some kind of dialectycs in play. :lol:
I for myself take Pops side. Leonard can obviously play and gets payed and doesn't want to play. The reason? I don't care.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#138 » by -Sammy- » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:05 am

WalterBenjamin wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:The reactions in this thread are fascinating to me: either Pop is a lowdown conniving snake or Leonard is a quitter and a selfish, terrible teammate, and in either case, the other side is the wholly-innocent victim. Suddenly Pop isn't the coach, mentor, and leader who's helped make the Spurs the most successful franchise of the last two decades, or else Leonard isn't the humble, hard-working, inspiring mid-first-round-pick-to-MVP-candidate success story-- all because of about six week's worth of rumors and half-stories.

Of course one should take sides. Don't pretend like there is some kind of dialectycs in play. :lol:
I for myself take Pops side. Leonard can obviously play and gets payed and doesn't want to play. The reason? I don't care.

Everything has nuance. It's perfectly fine to favor a side in a story like this-- and for what it's worth, I'm like you in that I tend to lean Pop and the FO's way here--, but it has to be done tentatively and with the caveat that we don't have all (or likely even very much of) the information.

The bigger issue with reactions like the ones in this thread, though, is the way people are framing the situation. We tend to treat celebrities, athletes, and public officials like they're characters in a film-- 'I'm supposed to cheer for that guy'; 'That guy is wrong and bad and therefore his position has no legitimacy'. But that's not how real life works; how would any of us like it if every time we made a mistake or mishandled a situation, the people in our lives suddenly started calling us snakes or liars and pronounced us as categorically bad? Very, very rarely is any party in a dispute 100% right or wrong, but even when someone is, they don't suddenly become a saint or a villain because of one situation.

There's a big difference between saying 'Pop's handling this wrong' or 'Leonard should change his approach' and saying 'Pop is now a snake and he always had been, the last two decades be damned' or 'Leonard is obviously lazy and selfish; the first six years of his career were a fluke and the last six weeks tell us the real story.'
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#139 » by Forte IV » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:27 am

No one's really said it, but it obvious the whole problem is that Kawhi got cleared to return earlier this year then got re-injured. That's why he doesnt want to rush it back especially when the Spurs doctors cleared him once before. He doesn't trust their judgement.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#140 » by OdomFan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:30 am

same guy who almost ruined the locker room when he slept with brent barry's wife :lol:

this kind of logic is just stupid. He's not perfect but he's still a vet players who's qualified to give a teammate advice.

Return to The General Board