Rodney Hood refuses to re-enter game

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

CoolBreeze2222
Freshman
And1: 64

Re: Rodney Hood refuses to re-enter game 

Post#61 » by CoolBreeze2222 » Tue May 8, 2018 3:46 pm

To be fair most homes/apartments were just getting internet access around 94-96.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,035

Post#62 » by HurricaneKid » Tue May 8, 2018 3:57 pm

LeMasta wrote:
Finchination33 wrote:Pippen back in the '94 playoffs when Phil Jackson drew a play up for Kukoc to take the last shot to win the game. Pippen refused to enter the game and Kukoc still hit the game winner.

Wow. That's not just being a bad teammate, that's being childish. Wth

I was furious at the time but in retrospect I get it. The league is completely different today than it was back then. The rules were set up to bolster stars. ISO basketball was THE way to play because the rules made it impossible to defend the best players. Most of all, there was a significant hierarchy. It was more prestigious to be "The Man" for a terrible team than it was to be one of the guys that played off "the man". Pippen was a GREAT player who was never given CLOSE to the due he deserved because he played in the shadow of MJ. So when he got the chance to lead his team and the coach STILL refused to let him be "The Man" in a defining moment he lost it.

LeBron famously told Blatt to scratch his play so he could get the ball. Blatt was right, LeBron isn't the shooter that others are and had missed a ton of game winning Js. But while we have made a ton of progress on playing team ball, the last shot still goes to the alpha on the team.

I actually think the rule to advance the ball on a TO is a big reason why. Rather than run good offense and taking a good shot the offense earns, the last shot really needs to come at the VERY end of the clock. Otherwise you are giving the opposition a chance to call TO and get a good shot themselves. And the only way to really do that is to give the ball to a guy and make him go to work.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,344

Post#63 » by bisme37 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't have anything to say about this particular story but his nickname needs to be Little Red Rodney Hood and I figured this was a good opportunity to get that going.

I repeat: Little Red Rodney Hood.
SwatLakeCity527
Rookie
And1: 1,328

Post#64 » by SwatLakeCity527 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:05 pm

John Murdoch wrote:
SwatLakeCity527 wrote:Sad to see. I watched the high's and lows of his career. When it comes down to it, he is just mentally weak. He lets his mental blocks affect his game and his life. I hope he is able to deal with that as he grows up a bit more... but man am I happy that he doesn't play in Utah any more...

Thats u huh

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean... that is an away game.. so I mean... no that's not me.. but good wan :wink:
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#65 » by JazzUte88 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:07 pm

I was hoping he'd provide a scoring lift in Cleveland or fill the JR Smith role since JR isn't even JR half the time anymore.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Post#66 » by Ambrose » Tue May 8, 2018 4:07 pm

Who will want to the pay the guy who doesn't feel like checking in for a playoff game this offseason? I imagine his list of suitors has dwindled.
PapaBear53
Junior
And1: 624

Post#67 » by PapaBear53 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:11 pm

bisme37 wrote:I don't have anything to say about this particular story but his nickname needs to be Little Red Rodney Hood and I figured this was a good opportunity to get that going.

Umm, no. Just no.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,631

Post#68 » by LightTheBeam » Tue May 8, 2018 4:13 pm

To think I actually thought he would make a big difference for this team. What a bum. Crowder wasn't very good for the Cavs but I think he would have reverted back to decent basketball.

Eating crow on this. Was a bad trade for the Cavs and Crowder could have definitely helped against GS
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#69 » by NBAFan93 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:14 pm

Did Hood not go back in because he was annoyed it was garbage time, or cause he was afraid/nervous cause he’s been playing bad? There’s a big difference.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#70 » by Dan Z » Tue May 8, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm curious to hear why he refused to enter the game. I've got to think that he had a reason.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#71 » by NBAFan93 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:23 pm

naabzor wrote:I don't blame him. Playing for this Cavs team is probably painful.

:roll:

Yeah - it must be so painful to be on a team that is heading to the conference finals after sweeping the #1 seed... :roll:
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,078

Post#72 » by magicman1978 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:23 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
LeMasta wrote:
Finchination33 wrote:Pippen back in the '94 playoffs when Phil Jackson drew a play up for Kukoc to take the last shot to win the game. Pippen refused to enter the game and Kukoc still hit the game winner.

I was furious at the time but in retrospect I get it. The league is completely different today than it was back then. The rules were set up to bolster stars. ISO basketball was THE way to play because the rules made it impossible to defend the best players. Most of all, there was a significant hierarchy. It was more prestigious to be "The Man" for a terrible team than it was to be one of the guys that played off "the man". Pippen was a GREAT player who was never given CLOSE to the due he deserved because he played in the shadow of MJ. So when he got the chance to lead his team and the coach STILL refused to let him be "The Man" in a defining moment he lost it.

"The league is completely different today than it was back then. The rules were set up to bolster stars. ISO basketball was THE way to play because the rules made it impossible to defend the best players. "

The in 94 best iso type perimeter player was probably Richmond who scored 31pts/poss on 55% TS. The best scorers were mainly post players. This year you have iso type perimeter players like Harden, Kyrie, Durant, Lillard, James, Oladipo, Derozan, Lou Williams, Kemba, Beal, and Butler all score more or significantly more and much higher TS that Richmond. If the rules were setup to bolster stars (especially ISO type players like you infer) in 94, they didn't do a very good job.

"Most of all, there was a significant hierarchy. It was more prestigious to be "The Man" for a terrible team than it was to be one of the guys that played off "the man". Pippen was a GREAT player who was never given CLOSE to the due he deserved because he played in the shadow of MJ."

Pippen was widely considered to be the second best perimeter player in the 90s and considered a top 5 player. Not sure how much more due he deserved to get.

"So when he got the chance to lead his team and the coach STILL refused to let him be "The Man" in a defining moment he lost it."

That was absolutely immature and selfish on Pippen's part. He put his own personal ego above the team. This isn't about Phil refusing to let Pippen be the man, which is a ridiculous notion. This was about drawing up the best play to win the game. There's no justifying what Pippen did.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,344

Post#73 » by bisme37 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:25 pm

PapaBear53 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I don't have anything to say about this particular story but his nickname needs to be Little Red Rodney Hood and I figured this was a good opportunity to get that going.

Umm, no. Just no.

Would have expected a guy named PapaBear to like nursery rhyme puns.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#74 » by Birth of the Cool » Tue May 8, 2018 4:30 pm

Over-inflated ego. Thinks he's the ___ when he's still a young guy that needs to establish himself in this league. Right now he's just a glorified 3pt shooter that doesn't play smart or impact the game in other ways (bad D, bad passer and now also bad teammate).

LeBron gave him the death stare because of this and that means this dude is gone in the off-season. They need to get rid of Clarkson too - that guy is a blackhole and one of the dumbest players in the league. Even in trash time yesterday Clarkson was hogging the ball, not managing the clock - meaning dude was rushing shots early in the shot clock while the Cavs really needed just to kill the clock each possession.

Those two play bball the absolutely wrong way and are bad news for any team that thinks these two clowns offense will benefit the team in any ways. Really selfish dudes.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,188

Post#75 » by dakomish23 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:32 pm

They will clear the air, Hood might have a breakout game and all will be forgotten
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
bigpimpatl
Analyst
And1: 1,339

Post#76 » by bigpimpatl » Tue May 8, 2018 4:32 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:Did Hood not go back in because he was annoyed it was garbage time, or cause he was afraid/nervous cause he’s been playing bad? There’s a big difference.

Probably because of garbage time. If I had to guess he thought he was too good to play when the game was already decided.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,185

Post#77 » by Pelon chingon » Tue May 8, 2018 4:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Distinct lack of internet is why. Stories like that only gain significant heat in the moment

I vaguely remember it but if I wasn’t prompted, I’d never remember the specifics

Yup, for those of us who are old enough to remember what the world was like before the Internet know that news could easily be covered up by the local reporters. About hood though that's an idiotic move and any potential employers just lowered their bids or shut the door on him completely.

This wasn't covered up, and Pippen definitely took flak for it:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/14/sports/pro-basketball-disgusted-pippen-sits-down-for-game-winning-play.html

Also the internet and other online services have been around a lot longer than you're thinking:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.basketball.pro/u6Om-yZU9UI/yeQR3rzarZoJ

Get your reading comprehension game up. I didn't say or imply that Pippen's story was covered up I was replying to the post I quoted "Stories like that". What makes you think that I didn't know about the Internet in 94? That's pretty much the time period where the public started to use AOL's dial up service. Just a strange post in general, are you just trying to be a contrarian?
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#78 » by pelifan » Tue May 8, 2018 4:41 pm

lambchop wrote:there are still teams out there that need wing players. The Pelicans and Wolves could use his shooting. He is definitely getting a contract. I can understand his frustration, but he has been really bad and doesn't have enough confidence to shoot the 3ball plus his court vision is terrible. He's willing to pass the ball, but just very inept at it.

But I mean yea, the team barely survived the 1st round and then swept the 1st seed in 2 blowouts and rodney is still focusing on himself. That's a really bad look.

On the one hand Pelicans could make life easy for him with lots of open shots.

On the other hand Rondo will kill him.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,116

Post#79 » by Dominator83 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:43 pm

Hes making himself a vet min guy. I mean who's going to pay him? One hes not that good. And now two he's a malcontent on an ECF team who isn't that good.

Good luck this summer Rodney
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
SixStringAxis
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#80 » by SixStringAxis » Tue May 8, 2018 4:44 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
LeMasta wrote:

LeBron famously told Blatt to scratch his play so he could get the ball. Blatt was right, LeBron isn't the shooter that others are and had missed a ton of game winning Js. But while we have made a ton of progress on playing team ball, the last shot still goes to the alpha on the team.

I actually think the rule to advance the ball on a TO is a big reason why. Rather than run good offense and taking a good shot the offense earns, the last shot really needs to come at the VERY end of the clock. Otherwise you are giving the opposition a chance to call TO and get a good shot themselves. And the only way to really do that is to give the ball to a guy and make him go to work.

Exactly what rules made it impossible to defend stars back then? With hand checking and more all around physical play in the 90's, I think its the exact opposite.

Return to The General Board