Why did JAFRO (Jarrett Allen) and BAM (Bam Adebayo) get ZERO LOVE this year while rookies like Kuzma got super hyped?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who would you rather have?

Jarrett Allen
15%
Bam Adebayo
36%
Kyle Kuzma
50%

Total votes: 131

TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,335

Re: Why did JAFRO and BAM get ZERO LOVE this year while rookies like Kuzma got super hyped? 

Post#21 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed May 9, 2018 4:39 pm

DoubleLintendre wrote:Allen, Bam, and Collins all looked pretty solid to me. There just were way too many flashy rookie storylines to cover this year.

I'd like to request you come up with more nicknames for (Nets) players if you can. I will never forget "RondBAE" or "JAFRO" now that I've seen those. They're like nickname crack and I need to know what else you got.

:lol: :lol: you know what we should extend this even further.....OP can you please make nicknames for Laker players as well?
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Re: Why did JAFRO and BAM get ZERO LOVE this year while rookies like Kuzma got super hyped? 

Post#22 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Wed May 9, 2018 5:12 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
JoeyMorgan619 wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Have you made it your life's mission to give a nickname to every Nets player that you deem likable?

Also, Kuzma is a shooter, but he's not selfish. He knows how to move and play off the ball.

So far we have:

Joe "Dolla Sign" Harris
JAFRO

Am I missing any? This guy creates threads just to try to make his stupid made-up nicknames become a thing.

How could you forget RondBAE?

You also have

- Rondae
- Gordo Hayward or Gordon Betrayward
- Joe Dolla Sign Harris or Joey Buckets
- E-Pay (Elfrid Payton)
- KyIrv

Which ones am I missing?
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#23 » by NY 567 » Wed May 9, 2018 5:13 pm

Kuzma didn't even get close to the most hype on his team. Ball got all the hype
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,296

Post#24 » by Capn'O » Wed May 9, 2018 5:16 pm

Kuzma had a better year. The other guys are good prospects. Starters/Early Bench. Great picks.

Gant wrote:John Collins was really good too and not talked about much.

I think most people just assume he died in one of the Terminator movies.

Spoiler:
Does anyone else associate him with those movies or is it just me? It makes no sense but I can't help the association.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#25 » by Karate Diop » Wed May 9, 2018 5:18 pm

Capn'O wrote:Kuzma had a better year. The other guys are good prospects. Starters/Early Bench. Great picks.

Spoiler:
Does anyone else associate him with those movies or is it just me? It makes no sense but I can't help the association.

I thought I was the only one :lol:

What makes you say Kuzma had a better year?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,547

Post#26 » by codydaze » Wed May 9, 2018 5:18 pm

Didn't you also coin 'chises? This has to stop.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,374

Post#27 » by DS17 » Wed May 9, 2018 5:25 pm

laploutocratie wrote:Call out a Lakers player: check
Hype up own player/try to introduce a nickname to an avg player: check
Name one other external player to look less of a homer: check

looooool!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,296

Post#28 » by Capn'O » Wed May 9, 2018 5:28 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Kuzma had a better year. The other guys are good prospects. Starters/Early Bench. Great picks.

Spoiler:

I thought I was the only one :lol:

What makes you say Kuzma had a better year?

He's already producing at a high level in expanded minutes while the other guys were essentially reserves. There are statistical arguments for the others and they don't get to call their own minutes but that's going to get the recognition.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#29 » by Gerald3Wallace » Wed May 9, 2018 5:30 pm

Kuzma was just a better player than them this season. In the 37 games he was a starter, he averaged 19pts 7rebs while shooting 45%FG and 40% from 3.

This was all within the offense. What I mean by that was we didn’t have a clear cut number one go to guy. Nights it can be Randle, Ingram, or kuzma. But he played well, shot the ball really well and was never scared of big moments.

Like everyone else has said, he exceeded his pick selection and also playing for the Lakers will boost his publicity. It also helps that he’s pretty active on social media.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#30 » by Edrees » Wed May 9, 2018 5:30 pm

KyRo23 wrote:I think it's because people don't like Lonzo, so they hype up Kuzma because it's like "hey, Lakers got Kuzma after Lonzo and he played good! HOW ABOUT THAT?!"

Bingo. I love Kuzma, but he tends to get over rated a bit as an over reaction to try to make lonzo look worse. Also, Kuzma has had some 4th quarters where he put the other team away just by himself and that level of dominance gets noticed.

Offensively there's really nothing Kuzma can't do in terms of style and aresenal. He has all the skills, which is why he has a ton of potential. he just needs to work on his defense and hopefully he can guard the bigger PF's in this league because his ceiling will be limited on what he can do on the defensive end.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,337

Post#31 » by KyRo23 » Wed May 9, 2018 7:41 pm

I'd also like to point out this is a clear violation of rule number #67 which states - One should NOT make a thread for the sole purpose of throwing out a nickname that no one knows/uses.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#32 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Wed May 9, 2018 7:49 pm

KyRo23 wrote:I'd also like to point out this is a clear violation of rule number #67 which states - One should NOT make a thread for the sole purpose of throwing out a nickname that no one knows/uses.

I’d like to point out that your username looks like it was made by the OP
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,114

Post#33 » by Dominator83 » Wed May 9, 2018 7:54 pm

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
JoeyMorgan619 wrote:
So far we have:

Joe "Dolla Sign" Harris
JAFRO

Am I missing any? This guy creates threads just to try to make his stupid made-up nicknames become a thing.

How could you forget RondBAE?

You also have

- Rondae
- Gordo Hayward or Gordon Betrayward
- Joe Dolla Sign Harris or Joey Buckets
- E-Pay (Elfrid Payton)
- KyIrv

Which ones am I missing?

They best one: Meth Curry
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,337

Post#34 » by KyRo23 » Wed May 9, 2018 7:55 pm

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:I'd also like to point out this is a clear violation of rule number #67 which states - One should NOT make a thread for the sole purpose of throwing out a nickname that no one knows/uses.

I’d like to point out that your username looks like it was made by the OP

Which poster is more valuable? KyRo or JAFRO?!
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,932

Post#35 » by lakerz12 » Wed May 9, 2018 8:01 pm

Let's see...

Jarrett Allen played 20 mins per game. Bam Adebayo played 20. Kuzma played 31.

Allen averaged 8 pts. Bam averaged 7. Kuzma averaged 16.

Allen averaged 5.4 rebs. Bam averaged 5.5. Kuzma averaged 6.3.

Allen averaged .1 3PM per game. Bam averaged 0. Kuzma averaged 2.1.

Are you beginning to notice a pattern?
trezer12
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#36 » by trezer12 » Wed May 9, 2018 8:08 pm

Guys who don't start, or pay 20 minutes per game typically don't get consideration. Guys that start, play with and against first units and score points are generally going to garner all of the attention for rookie of the year. and rightfully so.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#37 » by NBAFan93 » Wed May 9, 2018 8:08 pm

It was a deep rookie class and people always pay most attention to scoring and stuff like triple doubles.

Kuzma also got a lot of secondary attention cause of all the hype surrounding Ball - like everyone would be tuned in to watch the next Magic Johnson and would instead notice this other rookie who was actually better - so the subliminal logic was “if this Lonzo guy is the next Magic Johnson, and this Kuzma guy looks even better than him, then wow...” - leads to a lot of overrating and extra attention for Kuzma.

Time will tell who the really good players are from this draft though. I still think Fox will end up being really great.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#38 » by Karate Diop » Wed May 9, 2018 8:10 pm

lakerz12 wrote:Let's see...

Jarrett Allen played 20 mins per game. Bam Adebayo played 20. Kuzma played 31.

Allen averaged 8 pts. Bam averaged 7. Kuzma averaged 16.

Allen averaged 5.4 rebs. Bam averaged 5.5. Kuzma averaged 6.3.

Allen averaged .1 3PM per game. Bam averaged 0. Kuzma averaged 2.1.

Are you beginning to notice a pattern?

PER:
Jarrett Allen: 17.5
Bam Adebayo: 15.7
Kyle Kuzma: 14.2

TS%:
Jarrett Allen: 63.6%
Bam Adebayo: 57.0%
Kyle Kuzma: 54.9%

VORP:
Jarrett Allen: 0.8
Bam Adebayo: 0.8
Kyle Kuzma: 0.4

Win Shares:
Jarrett Allen: 4.2
Bam Adebayo: 4.2
Kyle Kuzma: 3.8

Box Plus/Minus:
Jarrett Allen: 0.2
Bam Adebayo: 0.2
Kyle Kuzma: -1.3

RPM:
Bam Adebayo: -0.68
Jarrett Allen: -1.28
Kyle Kuzma: -1.55

ORtg (Offensive Rating):
Jarrett Allen: 119
Bam Adebayo: 116
Kyle Kuzma: 105

DRtg (Offensive Rating):
Bam Adebayo: 105
Jarrett Allen: 108
Kyle Kuzma: 109

The one pattern I am noticed is that Kuzma ranked lower than JAFRO and BAM in every advanced stat category above...
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,347

Post#39 » by lambchop » Wed May 9, 2018 8:20 pm

Kuzma because of his potential to become a decent nba wing and the general dominance of wings compared to bigs at the moment
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.

Return to The General Board