LeBron's averaging 34/9/9 on 62% TS and 33.6 PER in the playoffs.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is LeBron having the GOAT offensive postseason?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 255

McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Re: LeBron's averaging 34/9/9 on 63% TS and 33.8 PER in the playoffs. 

Post#221 » by McKenna » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

Jazztop wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
poor widdle LeBron homer[/quote]

Say what you like about the Lebron homers, but Lebron's all-time records won't be touched for a long, long, long time.

We're talking about someone that may actually walk away with 40k/10k/10k. He's already the first and only with 30k/8k/8k.

That's real ****.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#222 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat May 26, 2018 8:13 am

I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#223 » by improper » Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 am

Personally, I think the greatest thing about LeBron is that you see him put on a performance like tonight and it just feels pedestrian for him.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#224 » by 6ixSideSniper » Sat May 26, 2018 8:57 am

There’s been physical specimens in the past but Lebrons longevity is insane. I did some digging from threads 8-10 years back and most people were predicting a big decline at 32 but here he is still being the best in the league at 34..
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#225 » by Pure_Basketball » Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm

loveandbeer wrote:
Jazztop wrote:His team is predicted to lose against a team who was predicted to struggle to reach the 2nd round. You can talk about stats all you want but the guy seems to lose. Alot.

You add in being the defacto GM, alienating Kyrie, leaking his discontent and finally losing him for garbage, along with locking up JR and Tristan for big undeserving deals.

Sorry. The best ever go out and win. Not lose and sink their team’s future in the process. Give me MJ any day. Like has been said numerous times - MJ would average 50 with today’s rules and probably win 6 in a row if he had Pippen alongside.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An over exaggeration of a guys talent coupled with a pure hatred for a fantastic athlete leads to horrible statements like this..... 50pgg :lol:
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#226 » by nbhadja » Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Boston is undefeated at home these playoffs, KLOVE is almost certainly out for G7, which leaves his second best player as .... Sac backup GHill?? And its almost a pick'em game.

It is literally a financial statement of fact, this man is a god. Demigod at least.

Lebron is the god of game 7s, a man that has not lost a game 7 in 10 years, a man that has has won every ECF since 2011. He is going into that extra gear again.
rich316
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#227 » by rich316 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:23 pm

improper wrote:Personally, I think the greatest thing about LeBron is that you see him put on a performance like tonight and it just feels pedestrian for him.

It literally is just what we all expected.
contestedlayups
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#228 » by contestedlayups » Sat May 26, 2018 3:29 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:
That's because his teammates suck dude. How can you be so blind? Lebron didn't play great today but he played infinitely better than any of his teammates and the got blown out by 20. Some people are so lost. Do you expect him to score 60 points a game or something?

HAHAHA you're proving his point dude.

His teammates suck huh? Isn't the GOAT supposed to make his teammates better, not only as individuals but collectively? It's a TEAM game, and Jordan CLEARLY made his teammates better as individuals, and collectively.

How would you prove this? Can you quantify this statement?

think Jordan giving Steve Kerr and John Paxson, role players who never hit big shots in their careers, the confidence that they could hit those monster shots to win championships is proof enough. Lebron needed Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving, two hall of fame talents, to knock down incredible shots to save his legacy. The inability of Lebron to make his team and teammates better is evident by the consistent failures of JR Smith and to an extent Kevin Love, as they are proving in these playoffs that they are not up to the task of playing with "The King". The guy is an egotistical maniac and mere mortals can't live up to his insane standards, which is why they consistently under perform. Jordan was an egotistical maniac, but he at least knew how to make his teammates and team better.
Subscribe to Contested Layups on iTunes or Google Play!

Itunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/contested-layups/id1331840924
contestedlayups
Sixth Man

Post#229 » by contestedlayups » Sat May 26, 2018 3:30 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:
His teammates suck huh? Isn't the GOAT supposed to make his teammates better, not only as individuals but collectively? It's a TEAM game, and Jordan CLEARLY made his teammates better as individuals, and collectively.

Of course he can't. Hence crickets.

See my response bud. Some people have lives outside of these forums.

missionman
Junior
And1: 370

Post#230 » by missionman » Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

I can understand that people think Lebron is a stat-hog.
I can understand that people think Lebron is a diva.
Lebron deserves all the criticism for the whole superfriends thing.
Lebron deserves the criticism for making his own bed with the signings of JR, TT, and the constant drama of where he is going to be next.
I also buy that his paths to the finals are somewhat tainted by playing the easier conference all his career.

I am not a fan of Lebron for all the above reasons.

But all you haters that don't concede that he is a legitimate candidate for GOAT (if we can actually bestow such a title) are just ignorant. The guy is an athletic freak, with incredible durability and longevity. All advanced stats such as WS/48 and BPM suggest that only Jordan rivals him in greatness.

Jordan is legitimately the GOAT, and all the successes of his career would support this. But if someone were to say to me that Lebron is the 'GOAT', there isn't much that i can argue.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#231 » by commentatorer » Sat May 26, 2018 4:04 pm

LeBron is dominating because Boston want him to dominate.
The more LeBron scores the less likely his teammates will gain confidence (and they severely need confidence for the road games).
Boston wants LeBron to freeze-out the other starters.
If Boston were to double or triple-team LeBron, no chance of him scoring this big, especially because he tends to pass out of double-teams more than most superstars.
missionman
Junior

Post#232 » by missionman » Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 pm

contestedlayups wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:

think Jordan giving Steve Kerr and John Paxson, role players who never hit big shots in their careers, the confidence that they could hit those monster shots to win championships is proof enough. Lebron needed Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving, two hall of fame talents, to knock down incredible shots to save his legacy. The inability of Lebron to make his team and teammates better is evident by the consistent failures of JR Smith and to an extent Kevin Love, as they are proving in these playoffs that they are not up to the task of playing with "The King". The guy is an egotistical maniac and mere mortals can't live up to his insane standards, which is why they consistently under perform. Jordan was an egotistical maniac, but he at least knew how to make his teammates and team better.

This is silly. Look at advanced stats for JR Smith, Kyle Korver, Channing Frye, Mo Williams, Varaejao, Kyrie Irving and compare them to the years that they played with Lebron and the immediate year preceding or succeeding that they didn't play with Lebron. They all had better stats playing with Lebron (obviously their USG% would go down).

Same arguments could be made for Jordan's teammates, although one could argue Pippen has his best years when Jordan went to play baseball.

I'm not saying that Jordan and Lebron made their teammates 'better' necessarily, because it could just be 'winning' that makes them better (Kyrie took another step higher this year when he joined another winning team the Celtics). But I don't see the firm/statistical argument that Jordan made his teammates any better than Lebron does. They are/were both high usage guys that commanded a lot of attention from their opponents.

Players that i think made their teammates better were players like Nash and Magic. That doesn't make them 'greater' than Jordan and Lebron though - as elite scoring talents, MJ and LBJ had/have every right to have the ball in their hands when their team needs to score.

(I do buy the argument that both Jordan and LBJ suppress the greatness of their teammates though - Kyrie and Pippen - but again, as best players in their respective eras that's gonna be an outcome of playing with them by giving up USG%)
missionman
Junior

Post#233 » by missionman » Sat May 26, 2018 4:28 pm

contestedlayups wrote: The inability of Lebron to make his team and teammates better is evident by the consistent failures of JR Smith and to an extent Kevin Love, as they are proving in these playoffs that they are not up to the task of playing with "The King".

JR Smith had eFG% of 61% and 71% in the prior two playoff years. This year he is down to 47% (with that stat being buoyed by destroying my raptors because he has been awful otherwise). I don't know what you are talking about wrt to JR Smith's consistent failures...
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#234 » by mademan » Sat May 26, 2018 4:34 pm

commentatorer wrote:LeBron is dominating because Boston want him to dominate.
The more LeBron scores the less likely his teammates will gain confidence (and they severely need confidence for the road games).
If Boston were to double or triple-team LeBron, no chance of him scoring this big, especially because he tends to pass out of double-teams more than most superstars.

So Lebron is such a great passer, that he's the best scorer in the league.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#235 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 pm

contestedlayups wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Of course he can't. Hence crickets.

See my response bud. Some people have lives outside of these forums.

he asked you to quantify it. you didn't do that.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#236 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm

commentatorer wrote:LeBron is dominating because Boston want him to dominate.

lol, cleveland's role players had arguably their best game as a group in a game lebron took 33 shots and scored 46 points.

if that's what boston wants, it aint working.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#237 » by cool93 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:00 pm

improper wrote:Personally, I think the greatest thing about LeBron is that you see him put on a performance like tonight and it just feels pedestrian for him.

This. LeBron scores 44 in playoff game and it's just another day at work. But than just think, how many players made that in there entire career, don't think number is that large
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

LeBron In The Matrix With Old Man Brain 

Post#238 » by dlts20 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm

For the past 3 months I've been telling people that I think LeBron has truly mastered the game. Not in the best player type of way but more like Neo. One saying in sports and life that alot of people live by is that I wish I knew then what I know now.

Most are so much smarter by the end of their career or after but they are too far past their prime to apply it. Lebron is the rare player who has totally mastered everything but is still close enough to his physical prime to apply it. Lebron has always been smart with a super high IQ but this is different. He is the IQ now.

I'm a Wiz fan and even when LeBron averaged like 28ppg, I never feared him as a scorer. Now I truly believe that he can average 40ppg if he wanted. That's why I laughed at the Morris stopper stuff. Honestly in the past, he may have given LeBron problems but literally no one in history can stop him now. He flipped a switch sometime this year and it's lights out.

That's why I think that the Cavs should have went all in and traded the pick. The team isn't great but LeBron has truly transcended to GOAT mode and the Cavs should have taken a chance. He reminds me of Mayweather near the end against guys like Mosley or Canelo. You could tell that he had flat out mastered his craft, even better than his younger self but Floyd was older and could only do it for 1 or 2 more fights.

Lebron can probably do this for 2 or 3 more seasons. Don't be surprised if he is even more dominant next year. I feel like he is the Lebron who played for the heat when some were upset that he was percentage padding except he can now do that while taking 30 shots without hesitating. Houston and GS have beast defenders and I bet LeBron averages 40 on great percentages against them
contestedlayups
Sixth Man

Post#239 » by contestedlayups » Sat May 26, 2018 9:05 pm

missionman wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

This is silly. Look at advanced stats for JR Smith, Kyle Korver, Channing Frye, Mo Williams, Varaejao, Kyrie Irving and compare them to the years that they played with Lebron and the immediate year preceding or succeeding that they didn't play with Lebron. They all had better stats playing with Lebron (obviously their USG% would go down).

Same arguments could be made for Jordan's teammates, although one could argue Pippen has his best years when Jordan went to play baseball.

I'm not saying that Jordan and Lebron made their teammates 'better' necessarily, because it could just be 'winning' that makes them better (Kyrie took another step higher this year when he joined another winning team the Celtics). But I don't see the firm/statistical argument that Jordan made his teammates any better than Lebron does. They are/were both high usage guys that commanded a lot of attention from their opponents.

Players that i think made their teammates better were players like Nash and Magic. That doesn't make them 'greater' than Jordan and Lebron though - as elite scoring talents, MJ and LBJ had/have every right to have the ball in their hands when their team needs to score.

(I do buy the argument that both Jordan and LBJ suppress the greatness of their teammates though - Kyrie and Pippen - but again, as best players in their respective eras that's gonna be an outcome of playing with them by giving up USG%)

It's funny. I actually believed you for a second and looked up all of those players advanced stats, and not counting the year that they were traded for (going from a non-contender to a contender cancels their stats for that season) each player outside of Channing Frye had a year similar to their career averages in their first year with Cleveland. OH and all of Kyrie's advanced stats this season were far better than his years in Cleveland. Using Kyrie in your argument is inconclusive, since he's a hall of fame talent anyway.
What I'm saying is that Jordan, although demanding and an egomaniac, still understood how to work together with his teammates and give them the confidence they needed to shine when he wasn't able to. And then when his team needed him to be the man, he clearly was. Lebron I don't believe works so well with his teammates in the sense that they are ultimately better once they play with him.

Baarignani
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#240 » by Baarignani » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

LeBron is an intellectually and physically superior being, that should not be compared to humans. He is either an alien life form or from the future.
Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board