Luka Doncic will be the best rookie since Lebron.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,791

Re: Luka Doncic will be the best rookie since Lebron. 

Post#81 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 24, 2018 5:00 pm

IgorK wrote:Hmm.. here are some quotes..

"I haven't seen him, no one sees him, but we hear things. I've heard very good things. Nothing bad at all. ... From what I know about those leagues, he is playing the very best in Europe against grown men who are 25, 30 and 35 years old.

He's playing against guys double his age. Not only is he going against pros, but some of those pros are going to be playing in the NBA. It's so hard to compare because they play different positions, but whoever takes him will get a tremendous talent for years to come.

..about a different "icic" - Darko Milicic. :D

I hate hes playing against grown men argument. Thats something that people put together when they actually have nothing reasonable to say. Know that for the future reference. Darko played in Serbian league or smth, yeah, against grown men, but those men were still terrible, in a league that Adam Morrison dominated... Doncic has way more going on than just ''playing against grown men''. He played in the Euroleague for starters, and was MVP.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#82 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Heej wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:LeBron was not that good of a rookie, arguably the third best of his team, definitely worse than Simmons.

Edit: of his class

If you look back 2003-04 season was the absolute lowest point in the NBA when it came to scoring because of unrelaxed hand checking rules combined with clogged lanes due to illegal defense being taken out and the slowest paced year ever to cap it off. Rookie LeBron in the league now probably puts up 23/6/6 on 55 TS%

Stats like PER and BPM account for changes in rules and pacing from year to year and Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, KAT, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and Nikola Jokic all had higher PERs and BPMs as rookies.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#83 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

uh...there have been many rookies who were better than LBJ since 2003....there are probably 3 this year alone.

I mean, people do know that LBJ wasn't the best rookie in his class, right? Or probably even second best.

LBJ got ROY because of the hype he had as a prospect, he wasn't close to an all time great rookie because he was too young.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#84 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 24, 2018 5:03 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:LeBron was not that good of a rookie, arguably the third best of his team, definitely worse than Simmons.

So best since Jordan? Whichever arbitrary player, he will be the best in well over a decade.

Better than Tim Duncan? Shaq? Hill? You don't follow the whole rookie thing that closely to be making predictions like this.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,601

Post#85 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

So best since Jordan? Whichever arbitrary player, he will be the best in well over a decade.

Better than Tim Duncan? Shaq? Hill? You don't follow the whole rookie thing that closely to be making predictions like this.

Duncan, Shaq and Hill go back 20 years or so. I'm predicting best in maybe 13-15 if he can top CP3 and Simmons as I think he may. When you really look at it, the bar isn't that high. Not many true amazing star rookies in that span. Simmons+CP3+Griffin+Lebron in a 15 year span. Doncic is arguably the most NBA ready rookie in that span considering his experience in Euroleague, leading his team to a title and winning MVP by 19.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,667

Post#86 » by Heej » Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
Heej wrote:

Edit: of his class

If you look back 2003-04 season was the absolute lowest point in the NBA when it came to scoring because of unrelaxed hand checking rules combined with clogged lanes due to illegal defense being taken out and the slowest paced year ever to cap it off. Rookie LeBron in the league now probably puts up 23/6/6 on 55 TS%

Stats like PER and BPM account for changes in rules and pacing from year to year and Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, KAT, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and Nikola Jokic all had higher PERs and BPMs as rookies.

Fair point, but those stats also don't normalize for style of play and how they translate. The way the game is played now favors a player of LeBron's archetype while it was nerfed in the early 2000s. I still think Blake is the best rookie I've seen come into the league. He was the most exciting player I'd seen in a looooong time. I remember poker games with my friends where we raved about the dunk Rookie Blake had last night and we'd put on his highlights in the background.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#87 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Heej wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
Heej wrote:If you look back 2003-04 season was the absolute lowest point in the NBA when it came to scoring because of unrelaxed hand checking rules combined with clogged lanes due to illegal defense being taken out and the slowest paced year ever to cap it off. Rookie LeBron in the league now probably puts up 23/6/6 on 55 TS%

Fair point, but those stats also don't normalize for style of play and how they translate. The way the game is played now favors a player of LeBron's archetype while it was nerfed in the early 2000s. I still think Blake is the best rookie I've seen come into the league. He was the most exciting player I'd seen in a looooong time. I remember poker games with my friends where we raved about the dunk Rookie Blake had last night and we'd put on his highlights in the background.

What happened to him still personally affects me as a 20 year fan of the Clippers. He had Karl Malone type trajectory and ended up being Shawn Kemp 2.0 if that. We finally had our guy! Finally the lucky team who got a draft pick right. Yet injuries+mental softness rubbed him of what could have been.

mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#88 » by mbsnmisc » Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Doncic is exactly the type of player that Jerry West will steal. I would be wary of any trades with the Clippers. He is GOAT executive.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#89 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm

mbsnmisc wrote:Doncic is exactly the type of player that Jerry West will steal. I would be wary of any trades with the Clippers. He is GOAT executive.

I'd cry if we drafted him or traded for him. I just honestly don't see a path. I wish.

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#90 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:He's going to get obliterated defensively.

Maybe not. He's like 220+ pounds with a 6'11" wingspan with high basketball IQ.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#91 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Duncan, Shaq and Hill go back 20 years or so. I'm predicting best in maybe 13-15 if he can top CP3 and Simmons as I think he may. When you really look at it, the bar isn't that high. Not many true amazing star rookies in that span. Simmons+CP3+Griffin+Lebron in a 15 year span. Doncic is arguably the most NBA ready rookie in that span considering his experience in Euroleague, leading his team to a title and winning MVP by 19.

I mean he could, but I am not sure why you think that is a promise. Manu Ginobili wasn't that great of a rookie, and he was much older and a better player than Doncic is. You also keep dropping LBJ's name in there which is strange, because there are at least 10 rookies who have been better than him, and I could name those 10 without naming any of the guys you named.
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#92 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:uh...there have been many rookies who were better than LBJ since 2003....there are probably 3 this year alone.

I mean, people do know that LBJ wasn't the best rookie in his class, right? Or probably even second best.

LBJ got ROY because of the hype he had as a prospect, he wasn't close to an all time great rookie because he was too young.

Yeah...this is pretty inaccurate. He won ROY because he was the best. Sure, there was a debate between him and Melo his rookie year, but it was clear that Lebron was hands down the better overall player from Day 1.
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#93 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu May 24, 2018 6:05 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

I mean he could, but I am not sure why you think that is a promise. Manu Ginobili wasn't that great of a rookie, and he was much older and a better player than Doncic is. You also keep dropping LBJ's name in there which is strange, because there are at least 10 rookies who have been better than him, and I could name those 10 without naming any of the guys you named.

True, Lebron didn't really become a superstar till his 2nd year. Either way he was a memorable rookie is why I'm mentioning him. It's not necessarily a ranking. Nonetheless I think he has the POTENTIAL to be better.

HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#94 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Lauri_Legend wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:uh...there have been many rookies who were better than LBJ since 2003....there are probably 3 this year alone.

Yeah...this is pretty inaccurate. He won ROY because he was the best. Sure, there was a debate between him and Melo his rookie year, but it was clear that Lebron was hands down the better overall player from Day 1.

No it isn't, he was not better than Anthony or Wade his rookie year. Being the best prospect isn't the same as the best rookie.

What is James argument for being the best rookie in 2004? He was insanely inefficient and couldn't play any defense. He put up an incredibly inefficient 21 points on a lotto team. Sounds like a hype job to me - same reason Wiggins won his ROY, except James had even better competition.
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#95 » by BoardCrusher » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 pm

I dont want to predict anything, but he delivered every single time when he was asked to, hes been playing kids 2 years older since he was like 13, and he dominated, at 16 started playing euroleague against grown men, and many people said he wont be able to dominate like he did earlier cause he just grew up fast, yet he became euroleague MVP and lead his team to the title.
Last summer I remember people were saying, how the eurobasket will be the ultimate test to show if he is ready for NBA... and he (together with Dragic) lead Slovenia to the title.
So one thing thats for certain is, do not doubt this kid, he will adapt , his BBIQ is off the charts, I believe we will all be pleasantly surprised once again.

And to the people comparing him to Milicic, lol just lol ? seriously? shows your ignorance....
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#96 » by IgorK » Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:

"I haven't seen him, no one sees him, but we hear things. I've heard very good things. Nothing bad at all. ... From what I know about those leagues, he is playing the very best in Europe against grown men who are 25, 30 and 35 years old.

He's playing against guys double his age. Not only is he going against pros, but some of those pros are going to be playing in the NBA. It's so hard to compare because they play different positions, but whoever takes him will get a tremendous talent for years to come.

Darko didn't win Euroleague MVP, wasn't the best player on the best team in Europe (or on his team for that matter).
In fact, they're nothing alike as prospects, Darko's upside was precieved (obviously for no good reason) as a more athletic Dirk but he was clearly a project. Luka is one of the most complete, pro-ready player we've seen in a while and the only doubts about him is his ceiling, not floor.
There is no chance of Doncic busting, at the very least he'll be a starter for over a decade.

So much confidence, you must've flown over to see him up close and assess personally on a deep level. :roll:
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#97 » by Xherdan 23 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm

IgorK wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:

Darko didn't win Euroleague MVP, wasn't the best player on the best team in Europe (or on his team for that matter).
In fact, they're nothing alike as prospects, Darko's upside was precieved (obviously for no good reason) as a more athletic Dirk but he was clearly a project. Luka is one of the most complete, pro-ready player we've seen in a while and the only doubts about him is his ceiling, not floor.
There is no chance of Doncic busting, at the very least he'll be a starter for over a decade.

So much confidence, you must've flown over to see him up close and assess personally on a deep level. :roll:

Or maybe I just live in Europe so I don't need to fly anywhere...

And nowhere in my post was I talking about anything personal, just basketball - you should try learning about it, it's a pretty fun game :D
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Post#98 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 24, 2018 7:00 pm

He won't be the best rookie of his draft class. He'll be lucky to make it on the first team all rookie.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#99 » by thamadkant » Thu May 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Ridiculous

He's not a PG...

He's a point forward with potential to be a combo forward as he is big and thick.
He could a better passing Saric or Turkoglu... Or if he can improve his body and agility... He could be Manu Ginobili part deux
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,724

Post#100 » by Yoshun » Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

I wouldn't draft him at #1 unless I had a guarantee he was coming over. He seems like he's going to be a really good player, but there are a lot of really good prospects in this draft.

Return to The General Board