Spurs could've won more titles in the Tim Duncan era.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Agree or disagree?

Agree.
52%
Disagree.
48%

Total votes: 130

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Re: Spurs could've won more titles in the Tim Duncan era. 

Post#61 » by OdomFan » Sat May 26, 2018 10:58 am

Dupp wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Shout out to Derek Fisher for preventing what could've been a 3peat in only 0.4 seconds.

Yes we’ll this shot shouldn’t have counted so that’s one big opportunity to win another one

As you can see here the ball is clearly in the air with 0.2 seconds left on the clock. It's the luckiest shot in NBA history but it still counts rightfully so.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#62 » by Dupp » Sat May 26, 2018 11:02 am

OdomFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Shout out to Derek Fisher for preventing what could've been a 3peat in only 0.4 seconds.

Yes we’ll this shot shouldn’t have counted so that’s one big opportunity to win another one

As you can see here the ball is clearly in the air with 0.2 seconds left on the clock. It's the luckiest shot in NBA history but it still counts rightfully so.

That’s never been the issue, the issue is the clock did not start in time.
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#63 » by OdomFan » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am

Dupp wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Looking at the footage multiple times it appears that the clock did start in time. As soon as he caught the ball it began ticking and he luckily got it up in the air.
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#64 » by mcmurphy » Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am

scrabbarista wrote:he was on 15 All-Defensive teams, compared to Shaq's 3.

many underestimate enormously this thing

Shaq peak was lightly more dominant offensively but Duncan was in another class defensively
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#65 » by DROB27 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Optms wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:
iamworthy wrote:I love it when people down play the supporting cast to pump up the super star :roll: . Also, Im pretty sure Duncan is recognized as the GOAT PF so I don't know how he's underrated.

Put prime Tony Parker & Manu on other teams. How do they fare? They were a product of the Spurs system, the Tim Duncan system to be precise.

You mean the Coach Popovich system, right?

Put Duncan elsewhere and his career would have mirrored Kevin Garnett's.

I’m so sick of pop taking all the credit . What system ? The system of post ups he use to run for Duncan :lol:
tbdog
Junior
And1: 113

Post#66 » by tbdog » Sat May 26, 2018 12:38 pm

OdomFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:
OdomFan wrote:Image

Looking at the footage multiple times it appears that the clock did start in time. As soon as he caught the ball it began ticking and he luckily got it up in the air.

It actually didn't start till late. Fisher didn't get it off in .4, he got it off in under .3. There was .1 still on the clock and the ball was well in the air. Which is impossible. The Spurs officially protested against the shot and they never do such a thing. To put it in perspective, Fisher caught the ball while facing the line, turned in mid-air and shot all in .4. It is just not possible.
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst
And1: 8,068

Post#67 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm with the OP. Duncan is easily the most underrated player in my lifetime. I tell anyone who places Kobe above him the same thing;

If Duncan played with Shaq they win how many titles? 7, 8, 9? They would have been the favorites every year from 99 to 10. He never would have run Shaq out of town, and we'd be talking about the greatest sports dynasty of the 2000's. The Spurs still might be that given that they won 5 titles in 15 years. Yet he continues to be underrated by fans and media.

He's still the greatest player since Jordan to me. LeBron might have better counting stats. Shaq definitely had a scarier peak. But if you just want to win titles; nobody beats Tim. He was one shot away from going 3-0 against LeBron in the finals, yet this guy gets zero respect. I'm not even sure he cares funnily enough.
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#68 » by Dr Aki » Sat May 26, 2018 1:13 pm

tbdog wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:

It actually didn't start till late. Fisher didn't get it off in .4, he got it off in under .3. There was .1 still on the clock and the ball was well in the air. Which is impossible. The Spurs officially protested against the shot and they never do such a thing. To put it in perspective, Fisher caught the ball while facing the line, turned in mid-air and shot all in .4. It is just not possible.

not only was it possible, 0.4s became the minimum amount of time for refs to adjudicate on any jump shot buzzer beaters from then on.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,071

Post#69 » by Laimbeer » Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm

We need to stop making excuses for LeBron but Duncan's supporting casts sucked. Okay.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,805

Post#70 » by JJ_PR » Sat May 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote: he was on 15 All-Defensive teams, compared to Shaq's 3.

Defense wins championships. That's why he has more rings than Shaq.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#71 » by SK21209 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm

The thing people don't realize is that the respective primes of our Big 3 never really matched up:

2003: Tim was ridiculous and everyone else was a role player

2005: Manu broke out as a legit All Star. Tony was a very good player, but was not all star caliber

2007: Probably the closest, but people overrate Tony that year just because he destroyed Boobie Gibson. He was making All Star teams, but he didn't hit his stride until 2009 IMO

2014: Tim, not Kawhi, was the best player on that team. 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder, best defender, leader of the team, etc. Kawhi had a great Finals, but Tim played 77 games that regular season and was the best player on a championship team at 38.

I'm also surprised to see that 2006 hasn't been mentioned more; that's really the one that got away. If Manu doesn't foul Dirk and they win that Game 7, they absolutely beat Phoenix and Miami. I don't think the Spurs beat the Pistons in 04.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#72 » by F-Stop » Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm

only read the 1st page but I do not see mention of Sean Elliott
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#73 » by afarmenian » Sat May 26, 2018 2:28 pm

SK21209 wrote: I don't think the Spurs beat the Pistons in 04.

I think it would have went 7. The Lakers were overconfident that year, clearly didnt take the pistons seriously and kinda fell apart I dont think the spurs would have had that problem in the finals.
JJ_PR
Analyst

Post#74 » by JJ_PR » Sat May 26, 2018 2:36 pm

afarmenian wrote:

I think it would have went 7. The Lakers were overconfident that year, clearly didnt take the pistons seriously and kinda fell apart I dont think the spurs would have had that problem in the finals.

Pistons had 54 wins both of those seasons. What makes the '04 Pistons better than the '05? If anything, the '05 team had an extra year of playing together, making them more dangerous.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#75 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat May 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Spurs were really good at drafting simple and plain. They did initially get lucky by getting Tim Duncan but after that they drafted great players that other teams slept on. Tony Parker an all-star point guard at the end of the first round, and Manu Ginobili in the 2nd round which is a great steal. They traded George Hill to get Kawhi Leonard another steal. Those are the big ones that made the spurs they made other moves but I can't recall those right now but they consistently drafted well despite drafting lower. I would say no they really extended their winning ways and spurs could have not won more titles then they did with Tim Duncan.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#76 » by mcmurphy » Sat May 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:Parker and Ginobili were made by SAS development

then you do not know the story between Pop and Manu

Is Pop that has adapted to Manu not vice versa

Hugi Mancura wrote:if they would have been any other team in their first years it could be possible no-one would remember them[/b].

ok,
Tim Duncan would have been the only one who remembered it

29 pts (FG% 9/13 3P% 4/6 FT% 7/8)/3 reb / 3 ast/ 1 stl
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#77 » by afarmenian » Sat May 26, 2018 3:01 pm

JJ_PR wrote:
afarmenian wrote:

Pistons had 54 wins both of those seasons. What makes the '04 Pistons better than the '05? If anything, the '05 team had an extra year of playing together, making them more dangerous.

Where did you get out of that, that i believe the 04 Pistons were better? I would agree with everything you just said.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#78 » by Boneman2 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

The gist of this thread. TD didn't need to form super-teams to win.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
JJ_PR
Analyst

Post#79 » by JJ_PR » Sat May 26, 2018 3:08 pm

afarmenian wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:
afarmenian wrote:

Where did you get out of that, that i believe the 04 Pistons were better? I would agree with everything you just said.

My reply was directed at SK21209. My bad.
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#80 » by OdomFan » Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 pm

tbdog wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Well it's not like they didn't review it multiple times before officially rewarding the 2 points to the Lakers for that victory so it is what it is. Again it's one of those extremely rare lucky shots that worked out for LA that night.

Return to The General Board