Is the Chris Paul Injury the most devastating Injury in NBA history

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is The Chris Paul Injury the most devastating injury in NBA history

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 195

ElodyTamTam
Junior
And1: 329

Re: Is the Chris Paul Injury the most devastating Injury in NBA history 

Post#41 » by ElodyTamTam » Sat May 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Why do peasants always need to be so hyped like the talk of the day is the most this and that ever? My God. It's so aggravating.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#42 » by NBAFan93 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:13 pm

It’s not even the most devastating injury this season...maybe not even top 5.

He’s had a couple good games, but Houston is a top team outside of CP3... I think they still have the potential to win, and if Harden can’t carry them to one more win in this series, then maybe he isn’t all that.

And also, CP3 is one of the most injury prone players in the league, how he hasn’t missed a playoff game till this point is actually impressive.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,651

Post#43 » by dockingsched » Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Chris Paul and his body breaking down by the time the playoffs roll around is pretty damn predictable. It’s why his stint with the clips was filled with failure, and ultimately why he forced his way to Houston. Only thing devastating about it is that it took so long to happen, getting people’s hopes up that it wouldn’t happen.

Houston benefitted from Paul’s injury history in that he needed to move on from LAC, can’t now be devastated by that same tendency to get hurt.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#44 » by Steelo Green » Sat May 26, 2018 10:15 pm

ElodyTamTam wrote:Why do peasants always need to be so hyped like the talk of the day is the most this and that ever? My God. It's so aggravating.

Honestly.

Big time players have been injured all throughout history.

Kareem in the finals anyone?

For some reason it's always what's the here and now is the most historic moment that has ever occurred.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#45 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 pm

I hate to break this to OP, but there was a pretty good chance GS was going to win the next two games anyway.

At least this way, Houston fans have a good excuse for losing and can still have the moral victory of believing they could have won it all if not for the injury.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,187

Post#46 » by Frank Dux » Sat May 26, 2018 10:44 pm

lebron stopper wrote:Image

The NBA would be a better league without Zaza. What a stupid oaf.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,187

Post#47 » by Frank Dux » Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 pm

Bryant's ACL tear was far more devastating.
valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Post#48 » by valrond1 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:35 pm

ChiKago wrote:How has nobody mentioned Kyrie's knee exploding in The Finals?

I did it 5 minutes before you typed this.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#49 » by Dominator83 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 pm

A low key one was Kendrick Persons 2010 finals. Losing his rebounding is what likely cost them a championship

Not most devastating in NBA history level bad. But a huge blowing that Flys under the radar
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#50 » by Eric Millegan » Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 am

Greg Oden never had a career after being picked #1

Brandon Roy's career ended after 5 years because his body simply broke down. He probably would've had a HOF career.

As for playoff injuries, Kawhi, Kyrie, and Kevin most recently. Their injuries helped GS win both their titles.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#51 » by Eric Millegan » Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 am

Also- Magic and Scott were injured in 1989 NBA Finals. Lakers went 11-0 before Finals and then got swept because they were hurt. That's certainly worse.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#52 » by Jakay » Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:Didn't Isiah Thomas hurt his ankle in game 6 of the finals? Not the conference finals, the actual NBA finals. If you're talking about the worst injury pain wise, Shaun Livingston suffered perhaps the worst injury in the history the sport (heart attacks aside). So what are you talking about?

You make a fine counter argument and all, but I don't feel like either of those situations happened in the last week of all of NBA history.
BBallchallenged
Junior
And1: 341

Post#53 » by BBallchallenged » Sun May 27, 2018 12:19 am

The NBA would have been better without the Spurs bench.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#54 » by Johnlac1 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:
ElodyTamTam wrote:Why do peasants always need to be so hyped like the talk of the day is the most this and that ever? My God. It's so aggravating.

Honestly.

Big time players have been injured all throughout history.

Kareem in the finals anyone?

For some reason it's always what's the here and now is the most historic moment that has ever occurred.

Yes. I can go all the way back to the sixties and find playoff and finals impacted by an injury to a key player or players. I've already posted responses about how many times Chamberlain's playoff and finals series were severely harmed by injuries to him or key players on his team.
I would say maybe half of all the NBA finals have been severely impacted by an injury to a key player or players on certain teams either during the regular season or during the playoffs.
Love's and Irving's injuries three years ago killed the Cavs final chances against GS. The next year's finals GS had a number of players hurting badly.
Now people can debate whether the injury to a certain player caused his team to lose for sure. We'll never know.
But during the sixties the Lakers lost every finals to the Celtics and one to the Knicks. In three of those series injuries to Baylor, West, and Chamberlain hurt the Lakers tremendously ('65,'69, 70). That's just one team in one decade. Injuries to West and other key teammates also cost the Lakers greatly in '71 and '73.
For example during the '73 finals West pulled muscles in both legs. Starter Happy Hairston, who was key player during the '72 Laker championship run, played sparingly in the finals and most of the regular season.
The previous season Willis Reed played sparingly in the playoffs hurting the Knicks greatly.
The Knicks might not have made the finals in '73 had Havlicek not serverely hurt his shoulder during the Knicks-Celtics playoff series.
In his career West missed two whole playoffs with injuries and Baylor two. And those missed playoffs never occurred in the same year for both players.
Injuries to Chamberlain and/or key teammates on his teams severely hurt his chances in '59. '68,'69, 70, 71, and '73.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,363

Post#55 » by nbafan38 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 am

I think people misunderstood the thread and I possibly may have misworded it but I mean in terms of worst timed injury in terms of impact for the player, the team, as well as the league as a whole.
markjay
Starter
And1: 1,610

Post#56 » by markjay » Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am

nbafan38 wrote:I think people misunderstood the thread and I possibly may have misworded it but I mean in terms of worst timed injury in terms of impact for the player, the team, as well as the league as a whole.

Well, now that you put it that way, the answer is no, no, and no.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#57 » by NuggetsWY » Sun May 27, 2018 1:24 am

nbafan38 wrote:I think people misunderstood the thread and I possibly may have misworded it but I mean in terms of worst timed injury in terms of impact for the player, the team, as well as the league as a whole.

I'm not sure anyone misunderstood the thread. I do think many think it might be over-reaction.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#58 » by canada_dry » Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Lol no. Recency bias much?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#59 » by iggymcfrack » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Jakay wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:Didn't Isiah Thomas hurt his ankle in game 6 of the finals? Not the conference finals, the actual NBA finals. If you're talking about the worst injury pain wise, Shaun Livingston suffered perhaps the worst injury in the history the sport (heart attacks aside). So what are you talking about?

You make a fine counter argument and all, but I don't feel like either of those situations happened in the last week of all of NBA history.

Well, it’s not really fair to compare some scrub getting injured and having the game of his life after the injury to possibly the best point guard of all-time getting hurt one game away from dethroning one of the most unstoppable teams of all-time, and not being able to play in Game 6 or (probably) 7. Still voted no though.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#60 » by mixerball » Sun May 27, 2018 6:51 pm

but didnt we all know he was gonna get injured at some point during the playoffs.

Return to The General Board