Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point? 

Post#1 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Its just such a bland, horrible name for a franchise imo. afaik its a reference to a type of boat that made a little more sense when they were located in SD but at this point its just associated with decades long ineptness I would say. I think if they would get a newer bolder name for the franchise it could help change perceptions of them. Anyone else agree? New name and maybe new colors/logo to go with it. As someone who grew up as a Browns fan I feel the same way about them also fwiw.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Re: Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point? 

Post#2 » by Bolivar » Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah I feel like they would gain at least 500 million franchise value in one day by simply renaming it to something that sounds interesting.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#3 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm

they should be called
LA Rivers
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#4 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Bolivar wrote:Yeah I feel like they would gain at least 500 million franchise value in one day by simply renaming it to something that sounds interesting.

No one's saying a name change would do that overnight. I think it would help in the long term though.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#5 » by Bolivar » Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Bolivar wrote:Yeah I feel like they would gain at least 500 million franchise value in one day by simply renaming it to something that sounds interesting.

No one's saying a name change would do that overnight. I think it would help in the long term though.

I was actually mostly serious, but now I checked the figures and they are actually already pretty high up there. A couple hundred million would be easily gained though.

Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Bolivar wrote:
I was actually mostly serious, but now I checked the figures and they are actually already pretty high up there. A couple hundred million would be easily gained though.

I think a lot of their current value is strictly based on Ballmer being willing to grossly overpay in order to have his own team. If he had made a more reasonable offer of $1.5b which I think would have been enough their current valuation would be a lot lower I think.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#7 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm

They need a name that really speaks to the identity and culture of LA, like Jazz, Lakers, Wizards, Raptors, Kings, Bulls, Hawks or Nets does for their cities, or how Silicon Valley is known for big, strong, warrior types like Mark Zuckerberg.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,034

Post#8 » by LuDux1 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:09 pm

it's pretty good type of boat to be named after
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#9 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat May 26, 2018 7:10 pm

how about
LA Microtough ......lol
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#10 » by Clemenza » Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Its just such a bland, horrible name for a franchise imo. afaik its a reference to a type of boat that made a little more sense when they were located in SD but at this point its just associated with decades long ineptness I would say. I think if they would get a newer bolder name for the franchise it could help change perceptions of them. Anyone else agree? New name and maybe new colors to go with it. As someone who grew up as a Browns fan I feel the same way about them also fwiw.

And what's so great about the other team names??
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#11 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:They need a name that really speaks to the identity and culture of LA, like Jazz, Lakers, Wizards, Raptors, Kings, Bulls, Hawks or Nets does for their cities, or how Silicon Valley is known for big, strong, warrior types like Mark Zuckerberg.

Some of the above names I would say are pretty bad too. idk, if I paid $2b for a franchise whose name pretty much epitomized failure for 3 decades I might consider changing it. I feel the same way about the Browns. The Browns have become a meme unto themselves in terms of being equated with just all around failure as an organization and its really just a terrible name imo with terrible team colors.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#12 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:Its just such a bland, horrible name for a franchise imo. afaik its a reference to a type of boat that made a little more sense when they were located in SD but at this point its just associated with decades long ineptness I would say. I think if they would get a newer bolder name for the franchise it could help change perceptions of them. Anyone else agree? New name and maybe new colors to go with it. As someone who grew up as a Browns fan I feel the same way about them also fwiw.

a. I can agree that some teams also have pretty lame names. Cavaliers even is kind of boring imo but its also a matter of personal taste. Clippers just doesn't bring much to mind. I would even question how many bb fans or even Clipper fans know what the name is a reference to.
b. As I said, I think the name at this point is equated more with ineptitude than anything else. I apologize if you like the name and find this thread just to be an attack on them as a franchise because that isn't really what its purpose was. I just think they could potentially gain a lot with a name change.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#13 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:They need a name that really speaks to the identity and culture of LA, like Jazz, Lakers, Wizards, Raptors, Kings, Bulls, Hawks or Nets does for their cities, or how Silicon Valley is known for big, strong, warrior types like Mark Zuckerberg.

Some of the above names I would say are pretty bad too. idk, if I paid $2b for a franchise whose name pretty much epitomized failure for 3 decades I might consider changing it. I feel the same way about the Browns. The Browns have become a meme unto themselves in terms of being equated with just all around failure as an organization and its really just a terrible name imo with terrible team colors.

Since the Browns are named after one of the most successful, innovative head coaches in sports history, I would say the Browns only need a name change because they represent the exact opposite of successful and innovative.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#14 » by Clemenza » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

a. I can agree that some teams also have pretty lame names. Cavaliers even is kind of boring imo but its also a matter of personal taste. Clippers just doesn't bring much to mind. I would even question how many bb fans or even Clipper fans know what the name is a reference to.
b. As I said, I think the name at this point is equated more with ineptitude than anything else. I apologize if you like the name and find this thread just to be an attack on them as a franchise because that isn't really what its purpose was. I just think they could potentially gain a lot with a name change.

I know you're getting at but I don't get the making of an entire thread about our team name when half the league's team names are crappy have nothing to do with the city they're in.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#15 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Since the Browns are named after one of the most successful, innovative head coaches in sports history, I would say the Browns only need a name change because they represent the exact opposite of successful and innovative.

I'm familiar with Paul Brown and his legacy. Watched all those playoff games in the 80's/90's going back to the Cardiac kids days. As you said, they don't even deserve to be named after him at this point. Naming a team after a coach didn't really make sense from the beginning though I would say. Brown is prob a top 3 nfl coach of all time but its still a terrible team name with terrible colors imo.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm

LA Chronic
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,161

Post#17 » by Pelon chingon » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm

The Clippers are the only team that should relocate to Seattle.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#18 » by Scalabrine » Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 pm

I like to think of Marcin Gortat as a big Wizard. Whatever team he plays for should be called the Wizards.
Go Knicks!
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#19 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

I think their own arena+rebranding+ name change is an absolute must. Also jack up ticket prices to deter fans of other teams just coming because the tickets are cheap and chanting MVP for other team's stars.

The newest rebrand was a disaster. Jersey's were fixed last year and look amazing but logo is trash.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
JustNBATingz
Junior
And1: 478

Post#20 » by JustNBATingz » Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Clipper name is cursed - its associated with Sterling.

Change it. Make the clipper unis a throwback and name yourself LA Mustangs

Return to The General Board