Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Re: Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point? 

Post#61 » by scrabbarista » Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm settled on the Hollywood All Aboard. It flows off the tongue like the tide, and, in a nod to the old Clipper days, connotes a long sea voyage into oblivion.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#62 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:LA Chronic

LA Riots.

Would love to see the look on Adam Silver's face when Ballmer told him that was his choice for the new team name.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#63 » by scrabbarista » Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:LA Chronic

LA Riots.

Would love to see the look on Adam Silver's face when Ballmer told him that was his choice for the new team name.

How about Compton? It has cache.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#64 » by scrabbarista » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 pm

California Chronic is nice. A nod to California's progressive nature as well as its reputation as a land of light and leisure. They would just have to be careful not to A) be chronic losers, and B) be chronic NBA drug policy violators.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#65 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Forte IV wrote:Well, no. There are so many stupid team names not only in the NBA, but in all sports. Why not just change everything? The Lakers are named after Lakes in MINNESOTA. At least the Clippers were because of Clipper ships in SD. There's a professional team named the PELICANS. Also, what is a Knickerbocker? Pants? A team is named after...pants? Yes I know its the settlers of NY. I'm just being as ridiculous as this thread.

Lakers are also types of large boats that go through the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean with things like timber or iron.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#66 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 pm

SkyHook wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:LA Nights

Or Knights. Hollywood Knights.

They play downtown and will be in Inglewood in the future. Inglewood is more of an aero-space area so I think they should be the Inglewood SuperSonics.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#67 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 pm

scrabbarista wrote:California Chronic is nice. A nod to California's progressive nature as well as its reputation as a land of light and leisure. They would just have to be careful not to A) be chronic losers, and B) be chronic NBA drug policy violators.

I think California Breeze would be cool. Easy and laid back.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#68 » by alienpick » Sat May 26, 2018 11:43 pm

JustNBATingz wrote:Clipper name is cursed - its associated with Sterling.

Change it. Make the clipper unis a throwback and name yourself LA Mustangs

LA Not-Racists
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#69 » by SlowPaced » Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm

There are a lot of bad team names in the NBA.

Atlanta Hawks - Hawks name comes from an Indian tribe in Illinois, no connection to Atlanta.
Brooklyn Nets - The most bland franchise name in the league.
Denver Nuggets - The connection is there, but Nuggets is just a bad name considering the options related to the mountains.
Los Angeles Lakers - Inherited from Minneapolis, which is in the Great Lakes area. Los Angeles barely has any natural lakes.
Los Angeles Clippers - As mentioned in this thread, bland.
Memphis Grizzlies - Inherited from Vancouver. There are no grizzly bears in Memphis.
New Orleans Pelicans - Pelican is such a non-threatening animal that it seems ridiculous as a sports franchise name.
Utah Jazz - Inherited from New Orleans. The unrelatedness is pretty clear.
Washington Wizards - Their two former names (Capitols and Bullets) were both much better.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#70 » by JazzUte88 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:58 pm

No they should just be the San Diego Clippers or San Diego Braves, they would be a better franchise certainly
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#71 » by scrabbarista » Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Well, no. There are so many stupid team names not only in the NBA, but in all sports. Why not just change everything? The Lakers are named after Lakes in MINNESOTA. At least the Clippers were because of Clipper ships in SD. There's a professional team named the PELICANS. Also, what is a Knickerbocker? Pants? A team is named after...pants? Yes I know its the settlers of NY. I'm just being as ridiculous as this thread.

Lakers are also types of large boats that go through the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean with things like timber or iron.

Ah, now it makes sense. Because the Atlantic Ocean is connected to the Pacific Ocean below Chile.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#72 » by scrabbarista » Sun May 27, 2018 12:06 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:California Chronic is nice. A nod to California's progressive nature as well as its reputation as a land of light and leisure. They would just have to be careful not to A) be chronic losers, and B) be chronic NBA drug policy violators.

Or California Chill(z?). We could get a Chill-Heat Finals.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#73 » by Eric Millegan » Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 am

Let's call them the Seattle Supersonics.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Ericā€ on Underdog Podcasts.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#74 » by Scalabrine » Sun May 27, 2018 12:22 am

Tio wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:They need a name that really speaks to the identity and culture of LA, like Jazz, Lakers, Wizards, Raptors, Kings, Bulls, Hawks or Nets does for their cities, or how Silicon Valley is known for big, strong, warrior types like Mark Zuckerberg.

I like to think of Marcin Gortat as a big Wizard. Whatever team he plays for should be called the Wizards.

Really? I think he is more like a genie. To each their own I suppose.

Really solid first post dude!
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#75 » by Scalabrine » Sun May 27, 2018 12:23 am

scrabbarista wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Or California Chill(z?). We could get a Chill-Heat Finals.

Although LA is not chilly at all.
Go Knicks!
Filthadelphia
Senior
And1: 751

Post#76 » by Filthadelphia » Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 am

Clippers name is fine but they should go back to the Lloyd Free era light blue jerseys. those were so clean and unique looking even back then.
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#77 » by 8on » Sun May 27, 2018 12:28 am

Iā€™m not sure, but whatever it should be, this guy will figure it out:

kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#78 » by kombayn » Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 am

As an actual Clippers fan. I do think they should rebrand. I thought after the whole Sterling fiasco, they should've done it. A lot of people floated the LA Stars, which I think is a good name. After the Chargers moved here, LAC will be attached to each other. Which from a marketing standpoint should be removed. I hope they change the name eventually. Especially if they get that new Aren in Inglewood.
kombayn
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by kombayn » Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 am

commentatorer wrote:I don't mind if the NBA bans team names.
When I mention teams I never use their names.
I always say Philly or Boston or Houston, because it feels more powerful and frankly mature.
Also you don't need to put "the" before it.

What do you do when you have to speak about a team in the same city?
kombayn
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by kombayn » Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 am

SlowPaced wrote:There are a lot of bad team names in the NBA.

Atlanta Hawks - Hawks name comes from an Indian tribe in Illinois, no connection to Atlanta.
Brooklyn Nets - The most bland franchise name in the league.
Denver Nuggets - The connection is there, but Nuggets is just a bad name considering the options related to the mountains.
Los Angeles Lakers - Inherited from Minneapolis, which is in the Great Lakes area. Los Angeles barely has any natural lakes.
Los Angeles Clippers - As mentioned in this thread, bland.
Memphis Grizzlies - Inherited from Vancouver. There are no grizzly bears in Memphis.
New Orleans Pelicans - Pelican is such a non-threatening animal that it seems ridiculous as a sports franchise name.
Utah Jazz - Inherited from New Orleans. The unrelatedness is pretty clear.
Washington Wizards - Their two former names (Capitols and Bullets) were both much better.

You can't be serious. A Pelican will **** you up. Plus, it's the Louisiana state bird.

Return to The General Board