Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Re: Anyone else feel like the Clippers really need a name change at this point? 

Post#21 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat May 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Some of the above names I would say are pretty bad too. idk, if I paid $2b for a franchise whose name pretty much epitomized failure for 3 decades I might consider changing it. I feel the same way about the Browns. The Browns have become a meme unto themselves in terms of being equated with just all around failure as an organization and its really just a terrible name imo with terrible team colors.

Since the Browns are named after one of the most successful, innovative head coaches in sports history, I would say the Browns only need a name change because they represent the exact opposite of successful and innovative.

I'm familiar with Paul Brown and his legacy. Watched all those playoff games in the 80's/90's going back to the Cardiac kids days. As you said, they don't even deserve to be named after him at this point. Naming a team after a coach didn't really make sense from the beginning though I would say. Brown is prob a top 3 nfl coach of all time but its still a terrible team name with terrible colors imo.

I don't understand the hate for naming a team after something to do with the city or the team's founding. I also don't understand how a team that plays in the fall having Thanksgiving colors is a bad thing. I don't see how the flashy neon colors Nike likes to trot out nowadays fits Cleveland.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#22 » by Dominator83 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Just a logo change would do
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#23 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Since the Browns are named after one of the most successful, innovative head coaches in sports history, I would say the Browns only need a name change because they represent the exact opposite of successful and innovative.

I'm familiar with Paul Brown and his legacy. Watched all those playoff games in the 80's/90's going back to the Cardiac kids days. As you said, they don't even deserve to be named after him at this point. Naming a team after a coach didn't really make sense from the beginning though I would say. Brown is prob a top 3 nfl coach of all time but its still a terrible team name with terrible colors imo.

I don't understand the hate for naming a team after something to do with the city or the team's founding. I also don't understand how a team that plays in the fall having Thanksgiving colors is a bad thing. I don't see how the flashy neon colors Nike likes to trot out nowadays fits Cleveland.

Its not really hate. Its a matter of personal taste. I find naming a team after a person to be kind of egomaniacal tbh and let's be honest, Brown was a bit of an egomaniac in terms of how he ran the team. Also if a guy tried to do that today he would be absolutely blasted for it. I didn't say I liked flashy neon colors either. If you like brown/orange as a color scheme that is fine. I though am under no obligation whatsoever to like that color scheme and I don't. I think it looks pretty much horrible as are most of the uniforms which tried to make use of it over the years. Even back in 1995 I wished they hadn't kept the name/colors. I thought that was a horrible decision to try and resurrect the franchise like it was some kind of win for the city. Mike White acted so proud of himself when they announced that.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,504

Post#24 » by Mk0 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:09 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:they should be called
LA Rivers

This deserves more And 1s
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#25 » by commentatorer » Sat May 26, 2018 8:19 pm

I don't mind if the NBA bans team names.
When I mention teams I never use their names.
I always say Philly or Boston or Houston, because it feels more powerful and frankly mature.
Also you don't need to put "the" before it.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#26 » by scrabbarista » Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm not an NFL fan (in the last ten years I've watched about 35 Texans' games, and about 15 other games, including like 5 Super Bowls), but I've always liked the Browns' name and colors. It always made me think of Jim Brown, junkyard dogs, and fall - all good associations for a football team. But, as I said, I am not an NFL fan. I didn't even know they were named after a coach.

I am, however, a huge NBA fan. I'm usually pretty conservative about changing the league, but I actually agree with the OP here. I think the Clippers could do with a name change. There are no championships in their past and not much success. Their "logo" is crap, and their uniforms have never been iconic. On top of that, I'd guess that 95%+ of the general population imagines a barber's electric shaver before an old ship when they hear the word "clipper."
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#27 » by commentatorer » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Also I don't think LA should have 2 teams.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#28 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 pm

LA Stars

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#29 » by papidulo » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Ive wished for a long time that the Wizards would change their name back to the bullets, or something else.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm

LA Nights
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#31 » by Forte IV » Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, no. There are so many stupid team names not only in the NBA, but in all sports. Why not just change everything? The Lakers are named after Lakes in MINNESOTA. At least the Clippers were because of Clipper ships in SD. There's a professional team named the PELICANS. Also, what is a Knickerbocker? Pants? A team is named after...pants? Yes I know its the settlers of NY. I'm just being as ridiculous as this thread.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,415

Post#32 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm

I’m a clipper fan and I like the team name. I think they should embrace it and have a logo that is more marine/nautical based like a ship on the sea. The name still fits being in LA. The ocean is right there of course
lakers2020
Senior
And1: 513

Post#33 » by lakers2020 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 pm

NIce thread OP, I have always thought this. I would love for them to have a complete re-brand, team name, colors. Clippers is one of my least favorite team names. Almost as bad as Bobcats.

Perhaps something like Conquistadores. 37% of the LA metropolitan area can speak Spanish and a Spanish name could very well attract more fans.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#34 » by Dan Z » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

How about this for a new name? The LA Traffic Jams.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#35 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Forte IV wrote:Well, no. There are so many stupid team names not only in the NBA, but in all sports. Why not just change everything? The Lakers are named after Lakes in MINNESOTA. At least the Clippers were because of Clipper ships in SD. There's a professional team named the PELICANS. Also, what is a Knickerbocker? Pants? A team is named after...pants? Yes I know its the settlers of NY. I'm just being as ridiculous as this thread.

At least most people know what a Pelican is though. I'm just speaking as someone who's been a fan of the league for the last 35 years. To me, its a horrible name and not only that, for most of the time they've been in la they've been to the nba what the Browns have been to the nfl since they were readded in 95. There's just a stigma there imo in what is prob the top destination for a player all things considered. The location is the sole reason they were just sold for $2b rather than $1b at most. Knickerbockers is weird but pretty much iconic at this point, much like the Lakers name is. Clippers is just.. I don't even know what. Its associated with losing and an owner who was forced out due to being racist and hateful. I'd hit the reset button if I were Ballmer is all I am saying in every way possible. Starting with the name.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,751

Post#36 » by SkyHook » Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 pm

UcanUwill wrote:LA Nights

Or Knights. Hollywood Knights.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#37 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

SkyHook wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:LA Nights

Or Knights. Hollywood Knights.

I kinda hate Knights. Like what knights have to do with LA. Hollywood Nights I like it a lot.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#38 » by Mister Ze » Sat May 26, 2018 9:48 pm

I agree that they should change the name to remove Sterling from their past, but wouldn’t it be more of a hit?

They’d have to rebrand everything and all their current merchandise would be hard to sell.

How about LA Arrows
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#39 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm

LA Stars
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,637

Post#40 » by OdomFan » Sat May 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I wish they'd move to Seattle then go after Westbrooke.

Return to The General Board