2018/19 ROY/Rookie Discussion Thread

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Re: 2018/19 ROY/Rookie Discussion Thread 

Post#821 » by reignfire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 am

I wanna remind people that before the season Trae was my pick to be ROY.

He's gonna be the best player in this draft because I think he will be the hardest worker over the summer and improve year after year. He showed a lot of heart at Oklahoma, which is what is needed to be a great player.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#822 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:32 am

reignfire wrote:I wanna remind people that before the season Trae was my pick to be ROY.

He's gonna be the best player in this draft because I think he will be the hardest worker over the summer and improve year after year. He showed a lot of heart at Oklahoma, which is what is needed to be a great player.

I wished people had payed more attention to the supporting cast he had there. He literally only had one other player who could put the ball on the floor. I still don't understand to this day people just dismissed him so easily. He's the only player to have led the nation in both points and assists in college and he did it as a freshman. Yet, so many wanted to claim he'd be a bust or another Jimmer Fredette. Which is quite ironic when Trae was better as a freshman than Jimmer was as a senior.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,828

Post#823 » by nikster » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:19 am

Kabookalu wrote:Trae Young is the real deal. He has Curry's range with Nash's playmaking. Today he showed off his finishing ability around the rim, which I think will be key for his development. Curry and Nash were underrated drivers and finishers around the rim, and it opened up their games and allowed them to achieve the heights that they achieved in their peaks. We saw against the Jazz what happened when they ran Curry off the line, he torched them. But Curry was also making these unbelievable lay ups too.

If Trae can consistently do that then he's the future.

Amazing game but I don’t think he was showing particularly great finishing skills. His penetration was amazing and he consistently blew by the defense, but when he was finishing himself he rarely had to finish through contact and there was never any rim protection. Not to say that he can’t, this just wasn’t the game to show case it.

That said I’m very impressed with his playmaking. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic, finds the open man and managed just one turnover despite the offensive he load he carried. Really thought he’d be struggling more with turnovers given his role in college
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,532

Post#824 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 am

SGA not shooting much but he's had a huge impact for a rookie.

Read on Twitter

12/5/4/1 steal in 26 minutes tonight and really good 1 on 1 defense on Harden. He's one of the most composed rookie guards I've seen.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#825 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:18 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#826 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#827 » by MemphisX » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 am

This draft class has had the best week 1 I can remember in a long while...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#828 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#829 » by J_T » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 am

We will see what "percentile" he is going to be in few months.

Geeeez... maybe this thread should be locked for first few weeks...
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#830 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am

J_T wrote:We will see what "percentile" he is going to be in few months.

This is a stickied thread to discuss rookies. We will likely discuss them every game or at least often. So why are you so worried about sample size? What's the cut off for when it is worthy of discussion? 20 games? 50? 82? I mean... this kind of post seems odd for this kind of thread. Nobody is saying X rookie has ROY locked up, or is a bust etc. People are discussing what various rookies are doing.

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#831 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 am

nikster wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:Trae Young is the real deal. He has Curry's range with Nash's playmaking. Today he showed off his finishing ability around the rim, which I think will be key for his development. Curry and Nash were underrated drivers and finishers around the rim, and it opened up their games and allowed them to achieve the heights that they achieved in their peaks. We saw against the Jazz what happened when they ran Curry off the line, he torched them. But Curry was also making these unbelievable lay ups too.

If Trae can consistently do that then he's the future.

Amazing game but I don’t think he was showing particularly great finishing skills. His penetration was amazing and he consistently blew by the defense, but when he was finishing himself he rarely had to finish through contact and there was never any rim protection. Not to say that he can’t, this just wasn’t the game to show case it.

That said I’m very impressed with his playmaking. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic, finds the open man and managed just one turnover despite the offensive he load he carried. Really thought he’d be struggling more with turnovers given his role in college

Agreed that overall he didn't show amazing flashy finishes that he managed to squeeze in there through a tough angle, not the way Curry does so often. He did have a couple of nice ones though. My larger point is that this is probably the one part of his game that'll raise his game above all else. Just based on preseason and these few regular season games of his, he's not bad at this, but certainly not elite (yet). Nash in his time was usually amongst the most efficient point guard drivers in the league, ditto for Curry, and I believe this is what really propelled them into superstardom. It just makes it that much more harder to guard them when they're a threat to drive it to the bucket and finish.
Read on Twitter
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#832 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 am

I honestly think the ATL/DAL deal will turn out to be a win/win.

Doncic is a stud and he fits right in with Dallas. No brainer. But for Atlanta, I don't think there was any doubt Trae was going to be a great offensive talent, he fit their focus on shooting to a tee, and they identified that as a tanking team over the next few years, there's not a lot of elite PG talent. He gets to play his game from day 1 and guys like John Collins and Taurean Prince are able to continue to grow at the forward spots.

They also picked a couple of other great pieces relative to their draft spot - Heurter should be really good, and Spellman can be a role player for a long time to come.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#833 » by J_T » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

This is a stickied thread to discuss rookies. We will likely discuss them every game or at least often. So why are you so worried about sample size? What's the cut off for when it is worthy of discussion? 20 games? 50? 82? I mean... this kind of post seems odd for this kind of thread. Nobody is saying X rookie has ROY locked up, or is a bust etc. People are discussing what various rookies are doing.

I would say that for discussing rookies there is no cut off. For calling out people, beating your chest and declaring busts, there's probably a reasonable cut off around half of a season.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#834 » by MemphisX » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I honestly think the ATL/DAL deal will turn out to be a win/win.

Doncic is a stud and he fits right in with Dallas. No brainer. But for Atlanta, I don't think there was any doubt Trae was going to be a great offensive talent, he fit their focus on shooting to a tee, and they identified that as a tanking team over the next few years, there's not a lot of elite PG talent. He gets to play his game from day 1 and guys like John Collins and Taurean Prince are able to continue to grow at the forward spots.

They also picked a couple of other great pieces relative to their draft spot - Heurter should be really good, and Spellman can be a role player for a long time to come.

Spellman has the makeup of an elite 3rd big that gets buckets.

Atlanta basically needs a great rim protector that won't kill them offensively.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#835 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 pm

J_T wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

I would say that for discussing rookies there is no cut off. For calling out people, beating your chest and declaring busts, there's probably a reasonable cut off around half of a season.
Good thing most of us aren't doing that! :)

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#836 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I honestly think the ATL/DAL deal will turn out to be a win/win.

?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,923

Post#837 » by Capn'O » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:17 pm

You're right that the numbers aren't particularly useful to make any declarations about his overall standing as a defensive player.

However, by all objective and subjective measures he's playing REALLY good defense so far which is really, really rare for rookie guards. Or many guards in this league at all. It's very impressive.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,576

Post#838 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

MemphisX wrote:This draft class has had the best week 1 I can remember in a long while...

I am curious to see how much of this is due to the crazy numbers being put up all around the league.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#839 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Rookie BPMs (only using 20+ minutes played so far);

Miles Bridges: 7.7
Jaren Jackson: 6.9
Hamidou Diallo: 4.8
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: 2.8
Omari Spellman: 2.6
Donte DiVincenzo: 2.4
Mohamed Bamba: 2.1
Marvin Bagley: .7
Kevin Huerter: .7
DeAndre Ayton: .4

Everyone else in the negs.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#840 » by akhan786 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:29 pm

A sleeper for the Rookie/Sophomore game (which by the way I think they should go back to it being Year 1 vs Year 2) would be Harry Giles ---- Sac's #20 pick from a year ago.

Kid's a stud and already has a presence on the court. Creative and has moxy which is what I love in young prospects who have something to prove.

Return to The General Board