2018/19 ROY/Rookie Discussion Thread

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DFan
Rookie
And1: 740

Re: 2018/19 ROY/Rookie Discussion Thread 

Post#781 » by DFan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 am

juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#782 » by juanc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:I watched the first quarter and a bit of the second. Doncic had zero points, one assist, and was being completely ignored on offense. So I turned off league-pass in disgust and decided to watch Oregon get curbstomped by Washington State. I guess that I stopped watching too soon, since the guy above me says that Doncic ended up with a really good statline.

I did the same exact thing.

You guys need to stop watching Luka, so we others can enjoy :D
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#783 » by agentofatlas » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 am

PockyCandy wrote:I watched the first quarter and a bit of the second. Doncic had zero points, one assist, and was being completely ignored on offense. So I turned off league-pass in disgust and decided to watch Oregon get curbstomped by Washington State. I guess that I stopped watching too soon, since the guy above me says that Doncic ended up with a really good statline.

He got hot during the 2nd. Scored 15pts there I think. Played with a lot of confidence after that quarter. It was a good game from him overall. He did have some really bad turnovers though.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#784 » by Blazing_royale » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 am

I feel bad for the Hawks after seeing this performance from Doncic
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#785 » by Ball4life32 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 am

Blazing_royale wrote:I feel bad for the Hawks after seeing this performance from Doncic

Young has looked good so far too. Hes going to be good.
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#786 » by Milk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:01 am

Another good game from Trier, he’s kinda under the radar compared to other rookies.

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#787 » by Fat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:34 am

Welp Knox is suppose to be out 2-4 weeks after twisting ankle
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Doncic and trey young are best 2 players in draft. 

Post#788 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 am

that is all.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Re: Doncic and trey young are best 2 players in draft. 

Post#789 » by damedash09 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 am

Whats the lotto numbers
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#790 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:02 am

clyde21 wrote:So far:

1. Ben Simmons
2. DeAndre Ayton
3. Mohamed Bamba
4. Allonzo Trier

after tonight,

1. ben simmons
2. blake griffin

3. Doncic

4 Trae young
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Re: Doncic and trey young are best 2 players in draft. 

Post#791 » by Effigy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:04 am

Threadworthy.
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#792 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 am

Atlhawks09 wrote:
Blazing_royale wrote:I feel bad for the Hawks after seeing this performance from Doncic

Young has looked good so far too. Hes going to be good.

young and Doncic will emerge as best 2 players in draft.

Hawks should have kept doncic though. more fun to watch....the steph curry prototype is the new norm. there will be many more to come like him....so getting a guy like trae down the road was always possible...but a fun to watch more talented second coming of larry bird is as rare as it gets in NBA. You cant pass that up. Think of the ticket sales!! :)
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#793 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:10 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

I did the same exact thing.

Doncic is the funnest rookie to watch since Magic and Bird. by game 15 i want the entire offense going through him on nearly every possession. He HAS to touch the ball. something great happens or almost happens every time. His team mates need to learn to understand that they have a magic johnson/ larry bird type player on the court with them.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#794 » by Sactowndog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:12 am

agentofatlas wrote:

He got hot during the 2nd. Scored 15pts there I think. Played with a lot of confidence after that quarter. It was a good game from him overall. He did have some really bad turnovers though.

Did he defend anyone? Every game I see he stands in the paint on the weak side, plays no defense and waits for the rebound. Maybe he got better but his defense is non existent.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#795 » by agentofatlas » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:22 am

Sactowndog wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

Did he defend anyone? Every game I see he stands in the paint on the weak side, plays no defense and waits for the rebound. Maybe he got better but his defense is non existent.

Defense? The Mavs don't play any defense lol.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#796 » by juanc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 am

agentofatlas wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

Defense? The Mavs don't play any defense lol.

Hello to everyone!

My name is Rick and I see a lot of you guys here are discussing the word defense. Would someone care to explain the meaning of that word!

Thanks, and best regards!

Rick Carlisle
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#797 » by scrabbarista » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am

I had Doncic #1 on my board at 94/100. #2 was Bamba at I think 89.5, and #3/4 was JJJ(first)/Bagley(second) at I think 88. Young was #8 on my board. The Hawks still get the Mavs pick next season, but yeah, it was a trade I liked and still like more for the Mavs.

I also agree with the poster who said Doncic is a Magic/Bird like player. I don't expect him to win multiple (or any, but who knows) MVP's and multiple Finals MVP's, but he is a big guy with elite skill, feel, and vision who seems to "out-think the game." Bird, especially, was like this. He seemed to make decisions intuitively that just led to wins. I'm not trying to sound crazy, but I've always thought this about Bird, and Doncic seems to have it, too. (I would say Simmons does, but if he can't get over his jumpshot-phobia, then I'll have to withhold that praise.) It's really like they have a kind of subconscious knowledge that transcends the conscious knowledge of accepted wisdom and theories on the game. I might be crazy, but that's how it looks to me, and it's hella fun to watch.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#798 » by Archx » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am

Read on Twitter
D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#799 » by D3ko » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 am

scrabbarista wrote:

I had Doncic #1 on my board at 94/100. #2 was Bamba at I think 89.5, and #3/4 was JJJ(first)/Bagley(second) at I think 88. Young was #8 on my board. The Hawks still get the Mavs pick next season, but yeah, it was a trade I liked and still like more for the Mavs.

I also agree with the poster who said Doncic is a Magic/Bird like player. I don't expect him to win multiple (or any, but who knows) MVP's and multiple Finals MVP's, but he is a big guy with elite skill, feel, and vision who seems to "out-think the game." Bird, especially, was like this. He seemed make decisions intuitively that just led to wins. I'm not trying to sound crazy, but I've always thought this about Bird, and Doncic seems to have it, too. (I would say Simmons does, but if he can't get over his jumpshot-phobia, then I'll have to withhold that praise.) It's really like they have a kind of subconscious knowledge that transcends the conscious knowledge of accepted wisdom and theories on the game. I might be crazy, but that's how it looks to me, and it's hella fun to watch.

Please could we stop comparing Luka with those top HOF players , he is never going to be in that level, I'm a fully fan of Luka, I'm from Madrid so for us he is our wonder kind , but he is not going to be a top 5 player ever, for sure.if he achieves Pau Gasol's game,career & acomplishments , I will be the happiest fan ever, do I think that he can do! But no more Top HOF comparison please!

Having said that, I get what you are saying, He understands the game as good as the best one, HE does every little thing to make your team win the game , for those who says that he is a bad defender, you should learn about team defense , he is a good 1x1 defender against SF,PG and great team defender (helps,rotations ,weak side blocks, charges, hustle).

Obviously if you want him to stop Kyrie,Curry or Kemba, that's the reason about you not being a good coach .

For now, he is quite shy most of the game , he is letting the game comes to him , i think that Carlisle wanna grow him slowly, not over resposabilty , make him work in his off ball game wide three, cutting and slashing . In Madrid he was used to share the ball with a scoring Pg ( Llul) , so he will be ok with Dsj And he will get the ball in crunch time most of the time.

Comments about this first games

He will be a 20/8/8 in his prime for sure, he gets stats as easy as he used to do it in Europe.
He will get separation with his dribbling for shooting , but I don't think that the can get by defender regularly yet.
He Can play at SG,SF,PF , he would be useful in every team in the league, he can play with any other superstar in the league.
Good defender overall, weak against Quick Pg .
He will need a pick most of the time to get by defenders although , Not being a good think, he will punish most of the P&R defense in the league regularly
Not penetration or Post game yet :-?

I don't think that he will win the ROYT , Ayton trophy to me, but Dallas will be a Playoff team from next year with Luka being the man for the next 10 years, Dallas has to be happy.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#800 » by The-Power » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 am

Watching Mikal Bridges play is a joy. He moves so well on both offense and defense, just supreme intelligence, instincts and a desire to contribute to winning making the little plays. Such a great player to have for literally every team in the league. He's already better than Josh Jackson and could be their best wing minus Booker by the season's end.

Return to The General Board