Mitchell Robinson: Most Freaky Athletic Big since AD

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Mitchell Robinson: Most Freaky Athletic Big since AD 

Post#141 » by prime1time » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:45 pm

People once again love to overhype players. I've seen nothing to suggest that he has any semblance of an offensive game. So, in that case, he'll be at best an above average big man. No need to overhype players. He can play defense, switch on to guards and dunk. McGee comparisons are apt. Also, how freaky and athletic someone is is irrelevant if they don't have the skill. And I did not see a lot of skill. Here's a question. What makes him better than John Henson.
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#142 » by KP6 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I like him better then Kevin Knox, going to take time to develop though.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,271

Post#143 » by Knicks Byke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:35 pm

:lol: my guy is running from one side of the court to the other to close out a 3 point shooter AND blocking the shot but thats not freakish athletically :lol:

what does freakish athleticism mean then? that lowkey hate is crazy. nobody saying hes gonna be a hof but recognize the tools when yall see it, damn.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,974

Post#144 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:42 pm

robbie84 wrote:looks like he'll be a solid bench pick and roll big man. Good rim protector. I don't see this 'crazy' athleticism that some are talking about. He's grabbing boards with his length over a lot of small line ups and getting a lot of scraps around the basket. I like his timing and instincts though.
His edge comes from his length. His athleticism is above average for someone his size but not Drummond/DJ level.

Buddy doesn't just run the court like he's stuck on fast-forward, but he's blocking f'n jumpers, and doing so from 5-6 feet away from the shooter, while using both arms. Yeah, it's only SL so these aren't NBA athletes with NBA skills he's doing things against, which is why the #s don't mean much. But being able to get up as high & as quickly as Mitch does with that length is crazy to me, and his closing speed/first step are just as stupefying. I don't see how you can see him outrun the pass to block a 3 in my post on the first page and not be blown away by the athleticism.

There are other freaks in the NBA, without a doubt, but even for this league this kid isn't normal. How many other dudes blocked even a single jumper in SL in their rookie year? Mitch did **** like this about a dozen times:

Just that static image makes me shake my head, because it reminds me that there were at least 4 or 5 times this SL where I couldn't help but mutter "that shouldn't be possible" while watching him...especially when you think that the kid himself talks about how he needs to get in shape in interviews.

Now I'm bracing myself for him to never make it out of the GLeague, because I'm a knicks fan & so always brace myself for things to go wrong, but this dude's athleticism is just jaw dropping...like Amare before the injuries, only in a 7foot frame...
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#145 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:05 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
robbie84 wrote:looks like he'll be a solid bench pick and roll big man. Good rim protector. I don't see this 'crazy' athleticism that some are talking about. He's grabbing boards with his length over a lot of small line ups and getting a lot of scraps around the basket. I like his timing and instincts though.
His edge comes from his length. His athleticism is above average for someone his size but not Drummond/DJ level.

Go Sic 'Em cig!!

;) :lol:

lol this is the second Celtics fan I've seen questioning Mitch's athleticism...

..makes senses though, they saw the Lakers on a list & just had to get themselves on it too :wink:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#146 » by GordanFreeman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 pm

dred926 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
dred926 wrote:

the kid skipped college but when he was faired against top guys he held his own he did pretty well against ayton too..

The guy can stroke the 3 already and its just a shame that the school he wanted to go to fired the person he trusted the most.

some people just cant seem to appreciate talent when honestly he would have made bamba a run for his money should he decided to move from WKU to another D1 college program. Just imagine having a year of not playing professional basketball and yet he still managed to show that he belong..

most gm's will regret letting this guy slip the same way they hated Porzingis before.

I don’t think he played against Ayton, and don’t know about him stroking the three

well then you only follow those who are "popular" and not everyone with talent

When did he play against Ayton? And what is his 3pt %?
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#147 » by GordanFreeman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

BradJohnston wrote:He's much more athletic. Reminds me of a bigger version of Amare or maybe like David Robinson. He's the best player coming into the NBA.

Hmm. I thought he looked more like a taller Hakeem out there tbh.
cgf
RealGM

Post#148 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:03 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
dred926 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
I don’t think he played against Ayton, and don’t know about him stroking the three

well then you only follow those who are "popular" and not everyone with talent

When did he play against Ayton? And what is his 3pt %?

When they were both in HS, and IIRC he was just shy of 30% on ~140 3s as a senior. Nothing special, but a sign that he could have a jumper to develop.

...especially since his stroke looks legit on FTs & in warmups.

JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,107

Post#149 » by JB2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:12 pm

cgf wrote:
JB2 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Three....Trier

Yup... I could not believe Trier went undrafted. He's exactly the type you take a chance on in the 40's on. I'm jealous he didn't last 3 more spots so Lakers got Robinson versus Bongo, but good for the Knicks.

Can't wait til all the 90s/traditional teams are back atop the East: Boston, Sixers, Pacers, Knicks, Bulls, Bucks.

Trier is gunna need plenty of GLeague time to learn how to look for his team-mates and not just his own shot...liked the raw talent though, if someone can smack some of the chucker out of him.

I feel ya but chuckers have a place too and sometimes can be a necessary evil
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,086

Post#150 » by stuporman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:56 pm

The salt oh the salt :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#151 » by Jonathan starks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
BradJohnston wrote:He's much more athletic. Reminds me of a bigger version of Amare or maybe like David Robinson. He's the best player coming into the NBA.

7 foot Michael Jordan is what I saw
undertaker0
Junior
And1: 292

Post#152 » by undertaker0 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:

Well yeah apparently he's the best player coming into the NBA :lol:
cgf
RealGM

Post#153 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 pm

JB2 wrote:
cgf wrote:
JB2 wrote:
Yup... I could not believe Trier went undrafted. He's exactly the type you take a chance on in the 40's on. I'm jealous he didn't last 3 more spots so Lakers got Robinson versus Bongo, but good for the Knicks.

Can't wait til all the 90s/traditional teams are back atop the East: Boston, Sixers, Pacers, Knicks, Bulls, Bucks.

Trier is gunna need plenty of GLeague time to learn how to look for his team-mates and not just his own shot...liked the raw talent though, if someone can smack some of the chucker out of him.

I feel ya but chuckers have a place too and sometimes can be a necessary evil

True, and I like his potential...his handle looks tight enough for the NBA, he has a good stroke & sense for getting into scoring positions, throw in nice quickness & decent length for a combo guard & there’s the makings of a player there...but he takes that **** to an extreme ATM.

I expect chucking combo guards to look for their shot first n foremost, and that doesn’t prevent them from being useful players in & of itself...but Trier came into the SL looking for his shot first, second & third lol. Granted, looking for his teammates did seem to rise from his 4/5th read to his 3rd/4th read over the course of this SL. So I have some hope that he’s not just talented but also coachable...but we’ve still gotta get lookin-for-his-team-mates up to his second read, before he can help the team more than he hurts it...even if he becomes a + defender at both guard spots.

So I’m cautiously optimistic with him...but as a Knicks fan that means I’m also preparing myself for him to get ridiculously overpaid for inefficiently scoring a good but not huge amount someday :lol:

cgf
RealGM

Post#154 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

7 foot Michael Jordan is what I saw

You are such a hater. Mitch’s floor is a 7 foot Mugsy Bogues.

spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#155 » by spacemonkey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 am

K P 6 wrote:I’m in shock the Knicks hit on 2 guys with real potential.

lol always appreciate a fan who can make fun of his own team, something RealGM needs more of.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#156 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 am

please dont mention mitchell robinson in the same sentence as AD.

unless the sentence is "please dont mention mitchell robinson in the same sentence as AD."

way too many unnecessary knick threads recently. can we merge them into a mega knicks thread so everytime some player scores in double digits in summer league, we dont need to make a new thread?
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#157 » by CrazyKnicks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:59 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:please dont mention mitchell robinson in the same sentence as AD.

unless the sentence is "please dont mention mitchell robinson in the same sentence as AD."

way too many unnecessary knick threads recently. can we merge them into a mega knicks thread so everytime some player scores in double digits in summer league, we dont need to make a new thread?

You should see the Knicks board, we got Knox and Lebron/KD comparisons already :lol:

Gotta respect the passion of my fellow Knicks fans though, so take it with a grain of salt.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,383

Post#158 » by robbie84 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:56 am

cgf wrote:

Buddy doesn't just run the court like he's stuck on fast-forward, but he's blocking f'n jumpers, and doing so from 5-6 feet away from the shooter, while using both arms. Yeah, it's only SL so these aren't NBA athletes with NBA skills he's doing things against, which is why the #s don't mean much. But being able to get up as high & as quickly as Mitch does with that length is crazy to me, and his closing speed/first step are just as stupefying. I don't see how you can see him outrun the pass to block a 3 in my post on the first page and not be blown away by the athleticism.

There are other freaks in the NBA, without a doubt, but even for this league this kid isn't normal. How many other dudes blocked even a single jumper in SL in their rookie year? Mitch did **** like this about a dozen times:

Just that static image makes me shake my head, because it reminds me that there were at least 4 or 5 times this SL where I couldn't help but mutter "that shouldn't be possible" while watching him...especially when you think that the kid himself talks about how he needs to get in shape in interviews.

Now I'm bracing myself for him to never make it out of the GLeague, because I'm a knicks fan & so always brace myself for things to go wrong, but this dude's athleticism is just jaw dropping...like Amare before the injuries, only in a 7foot frame...

Hey, don't get me wrong, he looks great in summer league.
He hustles hard, but his athleticism, to the naked eye (subjective obviously), doesn't appear to be elite. It's more his length and hustle ala Marcus Camby (but yeah he's more athletic than Camby but you know what I mean).

I could be totally wrong and he's the next DeAndre Jordan lol.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
cgf
RealGM

Post#159 » by cgf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm

robbie84 wrote:
cgf wrote:

Hey, don't get me wrong, he looks great in summer league.
He hustles hard, but his athleticism, to the naked eye (subjective obviously), doesn't appear to be elite. It's more his length and hustle ala Marcus Camby (but yeah he's more athletic than Camby but you know what I mean).

I could be totally wrong and he's the next DeAndre Jordan lol.

How many people on the planet can get up like Mitch did in that pic or do this:

cgf wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I don't think he's freakishly athletic nor all that graceful.

He's a fine athlete with an excellent 7'4" wingspan.

Definitely not freakishly athletic...

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,487

Post#160 » by RHODEY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 am

Teen Girl Squad wrote:Looks like a Capela type if he develops right. Not a freak athlete by NBA standards but looks like he's athletic enough not be be run off the floor on defense, potentially.

Ok well then please name another 7'1" nba player that is decidedly more athletic than Mitchell...

Return to The General Board