Josh Hart is legitimately better than D’Angelo Russell

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Josh Hart is legitimately better than D’Angelo Russell 

Post#1 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Basically, the Lakers traded a player that they knew was overrated while his value was at its absolute highest to dump one of the worst contracts in the league. And got a draft pick in return which they turned into Kuzma.

Drafting Kuzma also wasn’t a fluke because they drafted Hart a couple of picks later. The Lakers’ scouting and player development is probably top 5 in the league, which is why they were willing to flip a former #2 pick for a late first rounder.

This is yet another trade that the majority of fans and media got wrong, just like the George trade and Butler trade. I think it just proves that the vast majority of fans don’t know as much they think they do, and they certainly don’t know more than the average GM.
septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Re: Josh Hart is legitimately better than D’Angelo Russell 

Post#2 » by septahex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Josh Hart isn't better than DLo. I do give credit for lakers great scouting in getting wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk. I think they missed with lonzo ball though.
djw
Junior
And1: 605

Post#3 » by djw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm kind of confused. If the Lakers' scouting and player development is so good, why did they need to trade their former #2 pick in the beginning? Any why did they have one of the worst contracts in the league on their roster at all?
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#4 » by Goudelock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm

It's summer league. I'd calm down with the hot takes for now.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#5 » by BFRESH44 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm

The Lakers’ scouting and player development is probably top 5 in the league

????
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#6 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm

djw wrote:I'm kind of confused. If the Lakers' scouting and player development is so good, why did they need to trade their former #2 pick in the beginning? Any why did they have one of the worst contracts in the league on their roster at all?

The current Lakers regime didn’t draft Russell, nor did they give the contracts to Mozgov and Deng. They inherited it from Jim Buss.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#7 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:35 pm

djw wrote:I'm kind of confused. If the Lakers' scouting and player development is so good, why did they need to trade their former #2 pick in the beginning? Any why did they have one of the worst contracts in the league on their roster at all?

Russell wasn’t Magic pick.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,358

Post#8 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

It certainly has worked out well for the Lakers.
Unloading Mozgov’s contract was the big win at the cost of DLo. Anything positive from Kuzma is gravy.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#9 » by ISayshowmee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I will take Josh Hart over DLO anytime. Scoring, defense, likeable and oh yes ... mature way way better than what we had seen from DLO.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#10 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Basically, the Lakers traded a player that they knew was overrated while his value was at its absolute highest to dump one of the worst contracts in the league. And got a draft pick in return which they turned into Kuzma.

Drafting Kuzma also wasn’t a fluke because they drafted Hart a couple of picks later. The Lakers’ scouting and player development is probably top 5 in the league, which is why they were willing to flip a former #2 pick for a late first rounder.

This is yet another trade that the majority of fans and media got wrong, just like the George trade and Butler trade. I think it just proves that the vast majority of fans don’t know as much they think they do, and they certainly don’t know more than the average GM.

DLo was hurt a good portion of last year, so there is that... But I’m looking at their stats and I don’t see any justification for how Hart is “better”? DLo’s scoring was much better even when adjusted for playing time. Also, didn’t Hart play mostly garbage time? Plus DLo is younger for those who care about that.

I guess Laker fans trying to hype their trade bait though.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Josh Hart is better than Jordan. Michael B Jordan.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SDman
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#12 » by SDman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:03 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:Basically, the Lakers traded a player that they knew was overrated while his value was at its absolute highest to dump one of the worst contracts in the league. And got a draft pick in return which they turned into Kuzma.

DLo was hurt a good portion of last year, so there is that... But I’m looking at their stats and I don’t see any justification for how Hart is “better”? DLo’s scoring was much better even when adjusted for playing time. Also, didn’t Hart play mostly garbage time? Plus DLo is younger for those who care about that.

I guess Laker fans trying to hype their trade bait though.

All good points. But just to be accurate, Hart started and did most of his damage during meaningful minutes. On a lighter note, when you play for the Nets you're playing mostly garbage time too. :lol:
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#13 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Uh, who have they developed, lol? None of their homegrown talent has even played on a playoff team yet. They drafted well, but I don't get how you can say they developed Kyle Kuzma..lol

also, you do realize that trading a #2 pick for a late first infers that they messed up in both scouting and player development, right?
rcc8884
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Post#14 » by rcc8884 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Your getting a little over your head on this one
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,027

Post#15 » by Drakeem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:

Uh, who have they developed, lol? None of their homegrown talent has even played on a playoff team yet. They drafted well, but I don't get how you can say they developed Kyle Kuzma..lol

also, you do realize that trading a #2 pick for a late first infers that they messed up in both scouting and player development, right?
I agree, but Clarkson and Nance both played on a playoff team technically :wink:
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#16 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Drakeem wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

I agree, but Clarkson and Nance both played on a playoff team technically :wink:

Yeah and neither one of them were all that good, especially Clarkson.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#17 » by TheGOATWill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:18 pm

septahex wrote:Josh Hart isn't better than DLo. I do give credit for lakers great scouting in getting wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk. I think they missed with lonzo ball though.

Hart started getting starter minutes after the break and averaged 15 and 6. And he’s a better 2 way player than Russell by a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#18 » by spicy6 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Uh no lets wait till the season is up and running. Hart might not even be in the rotation literally. Hes behind KCP, and lance at the 2 unless lance is the backup to the ingram/lebron whoever plays the 3.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#19 » by TheGOATWill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm

With the age limit going back to 18 I think there will be something to be said about players with 3 and 4 years of college experience. Kuzma, Hart, Wagner and Svi are part of what seems to be a budding trend by Magic and Pelinka. I think they might be into something.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#20 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:

Yeah - they literally have developed no one. They’ve punted on (traded away or let walk) every young player they drafted before the 2016 draft. And you know they’d trade at least some mix of Ingram, Ball and Hart for Kawhi in a heartbeat.

Other teams in the league have drafted/developed young players in the same timeframe, w/ the same caliber of picks, that are untouchable in trades for vets.

Return to The General Board