Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Re: Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#221 » by lebron stopper » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

K P 6 wrote:lol Raptors trading their best player for a potential washed up rental. Welp. I guess time is up. However Its potentially a bad trade if Kahwhi walks.

"DeRozan"
"Raptors best player"
:roll: :roll:
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#222 » by homecourtloss » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Then no deal will happen.

Of course a deal can happen. Who says the Spurs even want Derozan? It was all speculation from the beginning and it still is.

Pop wants to be competitive still . Derozan gives him the best chance at that

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But when he’s playing against Lebron he’s the worst player ever in a crappy conference, right?
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,033

Post#223 » by LuDux1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Vampirate wrote:
mademan wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Meh, worse comes to worse Kawhi leaves in a year opening even more caps pace for a max player in 2020 or the Raptors just straight go into tank mode.

Derozan 's contract is effectively 3 years since the third year is a players option which he'll probably pick up.

No, worse comes to worse, Kawhi destroys the lockerroom. Much of the raps success has been their culture and chemistry. Throwing in someone who does not want to be there and has already proven to be a malcontent on his original team can destroy everything the Raps have built culture wise.

Honestly I'm thinking more than one year here.

I'd probably do Kawhi some good to be on his best behavior as playing on the Raptors for a year could be seen as a try out for the Lakers. Good lord they already have enough of a headache with Lava Ball.

Let's see how far he can take this team. I'm sure the Lakers would love it for him to prove that he's put all the issues behind him and to also prove he's still a top 5 player in the league.

Hawaii see what you did there
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#224 » by lebron stopper » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Captain Hooker wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Naw that ball movement style hasn’t existed since Kawhi took over as number 1 option .

He plays iso ball as well

I dont know what Spurs you were watching but ball movement is clearly evident in their games and it is a thing of beauty.

Kawhi's shots is within the system. He doesnt disrupt the offense by his game. DeRozan seems like a bit of ball stopper.

Yeah maybe when LMA and Kawhi aren’t on the floor :lol:

The bench unit usually does the ball movement.

Sounds like the Raptors from last season.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#225 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:
Of course a deal can happen. Who says the Spurs even want Derozan? It was all speculation from the beginning and it still is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But when he’s playing against Lebron he’s the worst player ever in a crappy conference, right?

Did i ever say that?
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 41,994

Post#226 » by NinjaBro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 pm

K P 6 wrote:lol Raptors trading their best player for a potential washed up rental. Welp. I guess time is up. However Its potentially a bad trade if Kahwhi walks.

Toronto is one of the few teams in the league that won't be hurt too badly if Kawhi walks. We got a ton of young prospects and we'll be rebuilding a year early if Kawhi decides to walk. We get out of a ton of salary in 2 years when Lowry, Ibaka, JV and Derozan comes off our books anyways, that's 95M. Kawhi walks, we start the rebuild a year earlier, not the worst thing in the world. By that time hopefully all our young guys will be ready to take over.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#227 » by dukes_wild » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 pm

We're not going to trade Lowry
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#228 » by gp2015 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:40 pm

mademan wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:People are treating this like its 2k.

Yes it would be worth it for the Raptors to give up Derozan for one year to compete for a title.

But if Leonard doesn't want to be there at all, do we really think hes going to play at an elite level? He already quit on his last team.

The chemistry on the team could be toxic.

And I don't think Kawhi could ever be convinced to sign long term in Canada.

Meh, worse comes to worse Kawhi leaves in a year opening even more caps pace for a max player in 2020 or the Raptors just straight go into tank mode.

Derozan 's contract is effectively 3 years since the third year is a players option which he'll probably pick up.

No, 'worse comes to worse', Kawhi destroys the lockerroom. Much of the raps success has been their culture and chemistry. Throwing in someone who does not want to be there and has already proven to be a malcontent on his original team can destroy everything the Raps have built culture wise.

Kawhi will likely be playing for his last biggest contract of his career. Why would he put that at risk by acting out and playing bad? I wouldn't worry about him next season. Players have their best seasons when they're due for a large contract.

Where has this team culture gotten the Raptors lately? We're blowing it up in 2 seasons or less anyways.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#229 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 pm

lebron stopper wrote:

"DeRozan"
"Raptors best player"
:roll: :roll:

Leme guess, Lowry. Okay cool
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,511

Post#230 » by S.W.A.N » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:53 am

Topher wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:

You can be young and still be competitive. Pop knows they’re not winning anything in the West. JV, OG, Delon and 2019 1st would be my best and final offer. I don’t work for the Raptors though so it’s irrelevant. Trading Derozan for Kawhi would be a huge mistake. Opposite of loyalty.

Loyalty shouldn't stand in the way of improving your team. If spurs want demar that is a good thing. Demar and Delon, or OG and a conditional pick is a fair deal.
We the North
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#231 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 am

S.W.A.N wrote:
Topher wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

You can be young and still be competitive. Pop knows they’re not winning anything in the West. JV, OG, Delon and 2019 1st would be my best and final offer. I don’t work for the Raptors though so it’s irrelevant. Trading Derozan for Kawhi would be a huge mistake. Opposite of loyalty.

Loyalty shouldn't stand in the way of improving your team. If spurs want demar that is a good thing. Demar and Delon, or OG and a conditional pick is a fair deal.

I'd be shocked if all Pops wants is DeMar, Delon and a pick. I'd take that for Kawhi and run.
Credits to Jstock12
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#232 » by Concernedcad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 am

Kawhi is coming.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#233 » by dukes_wild » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 am

OG has replaced his profile pics on both Twitter/Instagram of him wearing a Raptors jersey to old pics of when he was in Indiana

it's happening.gif?
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#234 » by seren » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 am

Raptors as constructed are not going anywhere. Time to shake up things. Even if Kawhi ends up bailing, this is worth the risk. DeRozan/Lowry backcourt needs to be broken
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#235 » by RaptorsLife » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 am

I don’t know what would be more exciting

Kawhi in raptors jersey or not having to watch Derozan in raptors jersey anymore lol
Raptors til death
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,108

Post#236 » by Chandan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 am

Asif16 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
LakersDynasty14 wrote:He already demanded the Lakers, no one else is gonna trade for him. Lakers just need to wait him out.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Keep believing that :lol:

Toronto is a good trading partner because they don't mind Leonard being a rental because it seems like they want to dump Derozan and start rebuilding since they've plateaued and Boston/Philly will be on top of the east for the foreseeable future. The trade will help both sides imo. Raps would get a legit superstar and a year to convince him but also offload Derozan's contract and can rebuild sooner, Spurs get an all-star in return and probably OG as well, so they offload their disgruntled star while getting a decent player for 3 more season and a solid young player.

If Ujiri really thinks that the Raps can go no further with the Derozan/Lowry core, I would not be surprised to see this happen.

Wow finally a non-raptor fan with a Brain when it comes to talking about the Raptors

the bigger question is why Spur would do this. Derozan has already proven to be somewhat of a loser in the post season. Do they think they can fix his broken 3 point shot or fragile heart in the playoff? Wouldn't the spurs want to start rebuilding themselves instead of trading for someone who has somewhat reached his ceiling as well? They have to be smart enough to know that a derozan core team wouldn't succeed in the west. (in the east at least he can at least bring some regular season wins)
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#237 » by Wolfgang630 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 am

dukes_wild wrote:OG has replaced his profile pics on both Twitter/Instagram of him wearing a Raptors jersey to old pics of when he was in Indiana

it's happening.gif?

Hmm
bigdamoan2k2
Sophomore
And1: 236

Post#238 » by bigdamoan2k2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:OG has replaced his profile pics on both Twitter/Instagram of him wearing a Raptors jersey to old pics of when he was in Indiana

it's happening.gif?

Hmm

I say we take one more go at it with this core. Worst case scenario we go for Kahwi in FA or someone else..
BALL DON'T LIE
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#239 » by MissileMike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 am

It somewhat makes sense for both teams really.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#240 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 am

gp2015 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

No, 'worse comes to worse', Kawhi destroys the lockerroom. Much of the raps success has been their culture and chemistry. Throwing in someone who does not want to be there and has already proven to be a malcontent on his original team can destroy everything the Raps have built culture wise.

Kawhi will likely be playing for his last biggest contract of his career. Why would he put that at risk by acting out and playing bad? I wouldn't worry about him next season. Players have their best seasons when they're due for a large contract.

Where has this team culture gotten the Raptors lately? We're blowing it up in 2 seasons or less anyways.

Kawhi is going to get a max from the Lakers no matter what next summer.

He can easily dog it in Toronto next year if he wants.

Return to The General Board