Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#141 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

It's a risk worth taking for the Raptors. Demar is not that good. The only thing that they need to do is put top-14 protection on any picks they send out, just in case Kawhi walks. That way, they can still tank if they need to rebuild. Remember, the Thunder did not need to send any picks out for what most perceived as a Paul George rental last summer. Seeing as how Toronto seems like the last serious bidder, I say they have leverage to argue that they shouldn't even have to send a pick out since Kawhi might walk.
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#142 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

I think there’s a deal to be made but I don’t think it’ll include Derozan as the big contract. I have a feeling it’ll be JV.
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#143 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:It's a risk worth taking for the Raptors. Demar is not that good. The only thing that they need to do is put top-14 protection on any picks they send out, just in case Kawhi walks. That way, they can still tank if they need to rebuild. Remember, the Thunder did not need to send any picks out for what most perceived as a Paul George rental last summer. Seeing as how Toronto seems like the last serious bidder, I say they have leverage to argue that they shouldn't even have to send a pick out since Kawhi might walk.

Yeah, a 2nd all nba team, 4x all star and a member of team USA isn’t that good.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#144 » by John Murdoch » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Too bad Bargnani is behind the wheel
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#145 » by Darren » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

As a rental, yes. The Spurs should be lucky to get a first and Siakam as well. No chance Rap trades OG for a rental. I think SAS gets a first to take on DeRozan actually. This deal is actually a little too good to SAS. But they demand OG as well. Rap should hang up immediately.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#146 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Topher wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:It's a risk worth taking for the Raptors. Demar is not that good. The only thing that they need to do is put top-14 protection on any picks they send out, just in case Kawhi walks. That way, they can still tank if they need to rebuild. Remember, the Thunder did not need to send any picks out for what most perceived as a Paul George rental last summer. Seeing as how Toronto seems like the last serious bidder, I say they have leverage to argue that they shouldn't even have to send a pick out since Kawhi might walk.

Puts up good scoring numbers, but doesn't make his teammates better, and can't play defense. Carmelo Anthony minus the 3 point shot.
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#147 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm

The raptors are not giving up a superstar for a 1year rental.. smh at the board

They will try to pair up Kawhi with DeMar and Lowry to create a big 3.
mirrornick
RealGM

Post#148 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Topher wrote:

Puts up good scoring numbers, but doesn't make his teammates better, and can't play defense. Carmelo Anthony minus the 3 point shot.

He's a very good passer, the fk you talking about. He doesn't average 8 APG like LeBron, but he's still a good passer.

Don't evade language filter.
mirrornick
RealGM

Post#149 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm

the idiot fans here watch DD play 2 times a year and think they know it all SMH
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#150 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm

mirrornick wrote:
Topher wrote:

He's a very good passer, the fk you talking about. He doesn't average 8 APG like LeBron, but he's still a good passer.

If he was as good as you think he is, then why in the world are you trying to trade him plus assets for what might turn out to be a rental of Kawhi? Tell me.
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 pm

mirrornick wrote:

If he was as good as you think he is, then why in the world are you trying to trade him plus assets for what might turn out to be a rental of Kawhi? Tell me.

Me personally I’m not trying to trade Derozan for Kawhi. I’d be looking to move JV in a deal for Kawhi to pair him with Derozan. Derozan makes playing with the Raps more enticing for Kawhi.

It’s easy to point out all the flaws in someones game. Is DD a superstar or elite at anything? No, probably not. Maybe his footwork is elite though. But he is an all star and he’s proven he can be a leader of a winning team. He has a great work ethic and hes made improvements to his game every season.
Captain Hooker
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#152 » by Captain Hooker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Captain Hooker wrote:DeRozan's game style doesn't even fit the Spurs lol

Whats his game style?

His game style is more of an iso ball. Spurs system involves more ball movement which doesn't fit DeRozan's iso ball.
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Captain Hooker wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

Whats his game style?

His game style is more of an iso ball. Spurs system involves more ball movement which doesn't fit DeRozan's iso ball.

That was under Casey’s system which really wasn’t a system at all. Casey didn’t give his players any direction and never held anyone accountable. Derozan averaged 5.2 assists last season and I expect it to go up this upcoming season again.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#154 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Captain Hooker wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

Whats his game style?

Naw that ball movement style hasn’t existed since Kawhi took over as number 1 option .

He plays iso ball as well
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#155 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 pm

If you trade DeRozan in a package for Kawhi.... Why would Kawhi want to resign there? To play with a
33 year old Kyle Lowry and some role players?

I don't think there's any chance Kawhi resigns if Lowry and DeRozan both aren't on the team but I also don't think
the Spurs trade him without one of those guys being apart of the deal.
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#156 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:52 pm

mirrornick wrote:the idiot fans here watch DD play 2 times a year and think they know it all SMH

The general board is clueless half the time
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Scott Hall wrote:If you trade DeRozan in a package for Kawhi.... Why would Kawhi want to resign there? To play with a

I don't think there's any chance Kawhi resigns if Lowry and DeRozan both aren't on the team but I also don't think

His name is Jonas. I don’t see why the spurs would want Lowry or Derozan tbh.
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#158 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Master Ze wrote:They’ve got a few years left with Pop and a prime Aldridge so I don’t think they’re looking for a trade package that wouldnt help them right away.

Demar + OG would be good in both the ST and LT for them but I think TORONTO would be giving up too much

Agreed. DeMar by himself is already the best offer on the table according to what's been reported.

DeRozan + Poeltl + Wright + 2019 1st + 2020 pick swap would be my highest offer if I'm Masai. Keeping both OG & Siakam to lineup next to Leonard is their best chance at convincing him to re-sign in my opinion. It gives the Raptors the best defensive W/F combo in the league.

Spurs still get an All-Star, nice depth at 2 positions of need on rookie deals, plus a pick, plus a pick swap. Who's beating that offer?

Wouldn't Demar be very helpful in getting Kawhi to re-sign in Toronto? A fellow LA guy who spent his whole career in Toronto and is respected around the league.

Why would the spurs do that trade if demar isn’t involved?
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#159 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Topher wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:If you trade DeRozan in a package for Kawhi.... Why would Kawhi want to resign there? To play with a

His name is Jonas. I don’t see why the spurs would want Lowry or Derozan tbh.

I don't know if the Spurs value JV highly can't remember the last time they had a Center who didn't play D
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,300

Post#160 » by r0drig0lac » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm

mirrornick wrote:The raptors are not giving up a superstar for a 1year rental.. smh at the board

They will try to pair up Kawhi with DeMar and Lowry to create a big 3.

this is the only absolute certainty in this case, even because the Raptors do not have a superstar on their roster

Return to The General Board