Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Re: Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#201 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:Derozan is not being traded for Kawhi.

Then no deal will happen.

Of course a deal can happen. Who says the Spurs even want Derozan? It was all speculation from the beginning and it still is.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#202 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Topher wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:Derozan is not being traded for Kawhi.

Of course a deal can happen. Who says the Spurs even want Derozan? It was all speculation from the beginning and it still is.

Pop wants to be competitive still . Derozan gives him the best chance at that
Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Post#203 » by Topher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Topher wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

Pop wants to be competitive still . Derozan gives him the best chance at that

You can be young and still be competitive. Pop knows they’re not winning anything in the West. JV, OG, Delon and 2019 1st would be my best and final offer. I don’t work for the Raptors though so it’s irrelevant. Trading Derozan for Kawhi would be a huge mistake. Opposite of loyalty.
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#204 » by First Step » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Jalexjsmithj wrote:If the Raptors wanted to hold onto DeRozan so that they actually have a chance against the Warriors in a finals, would the Spurs accept unprotected 2020 and 2021 (and maybe... 2022?) OG, and Powell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy King... is that you?
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,365

Post#205 » by Patches Perry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:52 pm

I like the fit of Leonard in Toronto. I hope they trade for him and it works out long term.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,297

Post#206 » by r0drig0lac » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:52 pm

John Murdoch wrote:
r0drig0lac wrote:
PD28 wrote:If Masai is smart, you wait out the Spurs till the deadline so they risk losing him for nothing. Then you offer just Demar, no picks, or OG/Siakam. If they choose to lose Kawhi for nothing, that would cripple their future for a couple years. Nothing to lose in being patient. Kind of ridiculous people think Raptors should offer DD with OG/Siakam and possible picks for a 1 year rental LMFAO

why?

uhhh because the roster outside of Kawhi/Murray is a retirement home? Spurs wouldnt be in contention for another 5 years or so if he outright left for nothing dont kid urself

well you answered the question to another poster, but by the answer I think you have no idea what you're talking about, the question remains: because players that the front office does not consider would be better than having the cap made available when Kawhi leave?
Captain Hooker
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#207 » by Captain Hooker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm

DROB27 wrote:
Captain Hooker wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
Naw that ball movement style hasn’t existed since Kawhi took over as number 1 option .

He plays iso ball as well

I dont know what Spurs you were watching but ball movement is clearly evident in their games and it is a thing of beauty.

Kawhi's shots is within the system. He doesnt disrupt the offense by his game. DeRozan seems like a bit of ball stopper.

Yeah maybe when LMA and Kawhi aren’t on the floor :lol:

The bench unit usually does the ball movement.

LMA and Kawhi might be their go-to-guys but it doesnt mean that they dont move the ball well. They are clearly playing within the system.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#208 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Regarding Kawhi going to the Lakers, the only thing I'll say is if the Lakers don't trade for him now, Kawhi would have to give up $50M just to sign with LA.

I'll say that again: $50,000,000 down the drain by not re-signing with whatever team he's playing for when he signs the extension.

If the Raptors trade for him, I think they have a strong chance of either keeping him, or signing and trading him for as much value as they gave up.

For the Raptors, it's a worthwhile risk.
Go Raps!!
PTPaQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#209 » by PTPaQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Aldridge, Gay, DeRozen would be so anti-San Antonio they may as well change their name/logo/city.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#210 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:18 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:lol Raptors trading their best player for a potential washed up rental. Welp. I guess time is up. However Its potentially a bad trade if Kahwhi walks.

It only accelerates the rebuild. Raptors were going to do that in two years regardless when literally everyone expires.

If they want to rebuild wouldn't they trade Derozen to a team for assets?? Getting rid of Derozen for an expiring with just Lowry is not appealing to free agents.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,473

Re: RE: Re: Raptors in Driver's Seat to trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#211 » by PD28 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm

r0drig0lac wrote:
PD28 wrote:If Masai is smart, you wait out the Spurs till the deadline so they risk losing him for nothing. Then you offer just Demar, no picks, or OG/Siakam. If they choose to lose Kawhi for nothing, that would cripple their future for a couple years. Nothing to lose in being patient. Kind of ridiculous people think Raptors should offer DD with OG/Siakam and possible picks for a 1 year rental LMFAO

why?
Do you guys have another up and coming star that really pushes the needle? No Aldridge is not young nor makes as much of an impact as Kawhi. At this point, it's too early to say what Murray will be but I only see a solid starter in him. Lose Kawhi for nothing next season and I'd say the Spurs will miss the playoffs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,682

Post#212 » by Vampirate » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Imo I think the Spurs could come up winners in the trade with Toronto unless Kawhi resigns.

I really think that they would try and build up Derozan ' s trade value back up to then trade him again to a team in desperate need for a star.

I wouldn't be surprised if they swindled Charlotte into taking DD to pair up with Kemba while asking for a Kings ransom and getting it from some poor sicker team.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#213 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm

People are treating this like its 2k.

Yes it would be worth it for the Raptors to give up Derozan for one year to compete for a title.

But if Leonard doesn't want to be there at all, do we really think hes going to play at an elite level? He already quit on his last team.

The chemistry on the team could be toxic.

And I don't think Kawhi could ever be convinced to sign long term in Canada.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#214 » by Vampirate » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:People are treating this like its 2k.

Yes it would be worth it for the Raptors to give up Derozan for one year to compete for a title.

But if Leonard doesn't want to be there at all, do we really think hes going to play at an elite level? He already quit on his last team.

Meh, worse comes to worse Kawhi leaves in a year opening even more caps pace for a max player in 2020 or the Raptors just straight go into tank mode.

Derozan 's contract is effectively 3 years since the third year is a players option which he'll probably pick up.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#215 » by mademan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Vampirate wrote:

Meh, worse comes to worse Kawhi leaves in a year opening even more caps pace for a max player in 2020 or the Raptors just straight go into tank mode.

Derozan 's contract is effectively 3 years since the third year is a players option which he'll probably pick up.

No, 'worse comes to worse', Kawhi destroys the lockerroom. Much of the raps success has been their culture and chemistry. Throwing in someone who does not want to be there and has already proven to be a malcontent on his original team can destroy everything the Raps have built culture wise.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#216 » by dacrusha » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm

This 100%.

Kawhi quit on the Spurs who are the model for great coaching and management... a real players' destination.

How on earth does anyone believe he would actually suit up willingly to play for the Raptors?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#217 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Vampirate wrote:

Yeah but you're going to have to give up an unprotected pick in order to get Kawhi. What if the Raps suck and its a top 5 pick?
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#218 » by Vampirate » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm

mademan wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

No, worse comes to worse, Kawhi destroys the lockerroom. Much of the raps success has been their culture and chemistry. Throwing in someone who does not want to be there and has already proven to be a malcontent on his original team can destroy everything the Raps have built culture wise.

Honestly I'm thinking more than one year here.

I'd probably do Kawhi some good to be on his best behavior as playing on the Raptors for a year could be seen as a try out for the Lakers. Good lord they already have enough of a headache with Lava Ball.

Let's see how far he can take this team. I'm sure the Lakers would love it for him to prove that he's put all the issues behind him and to also prove he's still a top 5 player in the league.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#220 » by DROB27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

dacrusha wrote:

This 100%.

Kawhi quit on the Spurs who are the model for great coaching and management... a real players' destination.

How on earth does anyone believe he would actually suit up willingly to play for the Raptors?

Cause he’ll lose even more money that simple

He has no choice

Return to The General Board