LeBron is being uncompetitive?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think LeBron is being uncompetitive?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Yes
30%
I don't know
11%
No
59%

Total votes: 111

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

LeBron is being uncompetitive? 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:27 am

What's your take on this?

Seems like a fun topic to discuss. Ignore the part about Miami.

Read on Twitter
#thevillain
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Re: LeBron is being uncompetitive? 

Post#2 » by Wagonband » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

It's really not. The Miami Heat move was uncompetitive. However the Lakers have a very strong your core of players that can be potentially be traded for stars if they don't become great, + Lakers will have capspace to work with, so next year at the latest the Lakers will be a what this tweet refers to as a "great team".
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 am

The comparison is more like getting in the ground floor of a start up vs working at facebook. He didn't purposely go join a backwater team to commit career suicide.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 am

Slava wrote:The comparison is more like getting in the ground floor of a start up vs working at facebook. He didn't purposely go join a backwater team to commit career suicide.

If LeBron is all about winning rings, he should have went to Sixers. Weaker conference, more ready team.

Must say that this time, LeBron is not being competitive. He is preparing for life after basketball.

Can't blame him for it though. He already established himself as one of the greatest players ever.
#thevillain
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:54 am

DeathLineup wrote:
Slava wrote:The comparison is more like getting in the ground floor of a start up vs working at facebook. He didn't purposely go join a backwater team to commit career suicide.

If LeBron is all about winning rings, he should have went to Sixers. Weaker conference, more ready team.

Must say that this time, LeBron is not being competitive. He is preparing for life after basketball.

Can't blame him for it though. He already established himself as one of the greatest players ever.

Not everyone is a frontrunner like KD. I think LeBron has the best of everything in LA, the commercial opportunities are definitely real but Lakers also present an attractive young core he can build in his image or if it doesn't workout they can trade for a more readymade team in the long run.
IceColdVeins
Senior
And1: 865

Post#6 » by IceColdVeins » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 am

Let's play a game called "Spot the Competitor". Take a look below.

dynamic duo
Analyst
And1: 10,486

Post#7 » by dynamic duo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

IceColdVeins wrote:Let's play a game called "Spot the Competitor". Take a look below.

all i see is a coward who is playing on a team who were already the title favorites without him in 73-9 warriors.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#8 » by itrsteve » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am

Either way, who gives a crap? He’s gave us enough over the past 15 seasons to pick a team based on location versus probability of winning.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#9 » by cl2117 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am

Neither?

He's being LeBron. The best way I've heard his path explained thus far is that he views he views his career as having different chapters. He started out in Cleveland as a phenom. He moved to Miami to create the Heatles and get rings. He came back to the Cavs for legacy purposes. Now he's going to the Lakers for his LA phase (possibly final chapter).

I don't think it has anything to do with competitive/uncompetitive. I think LeBron is competitive about everything he does. This is about what he wants, where he sees his future and what's best for his family.

I do think it'll be a really interesting season. It's the first time in a long time that he's not expected to carry them to the Finals. I wonder if it will be a nice respite for him after being at the top for so long or whether it's going to be a big drain on him (the losing) and he's going to demand they get better either in season or immediately next summer. Either way I'm excited to watch.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
smartyz456
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,692

Post#10 » by smartyz456 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 am

for someone who is hailed as "potential goat (:lol:)", he's really uncompetitive

especially when the REAL goat is the most hyper competitive basketball player in history
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#11 » by alessandrux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am

I think he is competetive in the sense that he truly wants to win and i don't think signing with a young, talented (and inexpensive) team is uncompetitve by any means.

But, for me, it seems like he is heavily involved in front office decisions on who to sign, and there he has shown that he is willing to sign players who don't help him winning. Instead he is forcing guys on teams/contracts who are (relatively)bad and are clearly financially motivated (signing his Klutch Sports friends to horrible contracts).

My conclusion is that he prioritizes other things (money, influence, power, 'freedom') over winning, which might take off a bit of his competiveness.
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#12 » by Javier Acosta » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am

DeathLineup wrote:

If he goes under the scapel and does an ego surgery.

itrsteve wrote:Either way, who gives a crap? He’s gave us enough over the past 15 seasons to pick a team based on location versus probability of winning.

We do since he said he is chasing the MJ ghost. If he did not say that i would care less.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#13 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

I don't think the OP understands the tweet.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 am

RCM88x wrote:I don't think the OP understands the tweet.

Well, well. LeBron will always be criticized. That's the point, right?

The first part of the tweet is wrong. But the second part of the tweet is something different. It is an interesting take.
#thevillain
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#15 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 am

DeathLineup wrote:
RCM88x wrote:I don't think the OP understands the tweet.

Well, well. LeBron will always be criticized. That's the point, right?

The first part of the tweet is wrong. But the second part of the tweet is something different. It is an interesting point of view.

The tweet is making fun of people who say that because it sounds quite hypocritical. Obviously both those quotes are stupid opinions. That's the point.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Teal25
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#16 » by Teal25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:55 am

Honestly it’s really crazy to me how he’s pretty much given a pass to just give up on winning and focusing on his brand when he has at least 2 maybe 3 more years of high play left.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:57 am

Katz understands LeBron will always be wrong for a lot of folks.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#18 » by red96 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Slava wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:

Not everyone is a frontrunner like KD. I think LeBron has the best of everything in LA, the commercial opportunities are definitely real but Lakers also present an attractive young core he can build in his image or if it doesn't workout they can trade for a more readymade team in the long run.

Going to Philly wouldn't have made him a frontrunner. LeBron could've went to 20-25 teams and had a similar or better basketball results, but he choose LA. Any objective person can see that basketball wasn't the 1st priority for his decision. That much shouldn't have to be debated.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Slava » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm

red96 wrote:Going to Philly wouldn't have made him a frontrunner. LeBron could've went to 20-25 teams and had a similar or better basketball results, but he choose LA. Any objective person can see that basketball wasn't the 1st priority for his decision. That much shouldn't have to be debated.

No LeBron doesn't have a similar basketball product with 20-25 teams where he can get maximum salary, flexibility to add another star and 3-4 good prospects. That fairytale land doesn't exist too often and anyone suggesting otherwise is simply a spurned suitor.
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#20 » by Pantsman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm

If he was competitive he’d play defense

Return to The General Board