What´s going on in Miami

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

What´s going on in Miami 

Post#1 » by Mich3006 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm

With the Heat being one of the most quiet teams in this year´s offseason, I´d like to know what their goal will be this season?

They´re handcuffed for the next two seasons because of really gruesome contracts (Johnson, Waiters, Olynyk,...) but Pat Riley was never to shy to pull the trigger if necessary.

Are they really satisfied with their current roster?
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Re: What´s going on in Miami 

Post#2 » by Wolfy1983 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

No cap, No Dap.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#3 » by vxmike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Capped out with average players on big long term contracts. Two future picks traded. What can they do?
Mich3006
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Mich3006 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:18 pm

vxmike wrote:Capped out with average players on big long term contracts. Two future picks traded. What can they do?

Trading Dragic to get rid off some toxic contracts should be in consideration IMO.

And what was Pat Riley thinking when he offered average guys such contracts?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,083

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Kelly O is on a great contract. Dion has one year left after this one. JJ is getting older but a great guy to have. That contract will be tough later.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#6 » by vxmike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
vxmike wrote:Capped out with average players on big long term contracts. Two future picks traded. What can they do?

Trading Dragic to get rid off some toxic contracts should be in consideration IMO.

Who needs a PG with a couple good years left? Dragic won't fetch much.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#7 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Ayatollah wrote:

Dragic IS a toxic contract. You MIGHT be able to trade him but you certainly aren't getting teams to eat other deals. A) because there isn't nearly that much value in Goran's 2/37M (and the 2nd year is a PO) but B) mostly because no team in the league has cap space that would help Miami dump players.

Seriously, best case scenario if you trade for Dragic and he has a good year. He opts out and now you are going to have to pay a 33 year old PG who is CLEARLY on the wrong side of his career to keep him.

What is THAT value?
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
BimboColes
Senior
And1: 359

Post#8 » by BimboColes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

vxmike wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:

Dragic is a beast! He is great at basketball and seems like a fun guy off the court. #funguys #fungi
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#9 » by tundraknight » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm

The Heat have been a treadmill team ever since Lebron left.
Mich3006
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Mich3006 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm

vxmike wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:

Don´t know about the relationship between Phoenix and Dragic but the Suns need a good PG.
BimboColes
Senior

Post#11 » by BimboColes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
vxmike wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:Trading Dragic to get rid off some toxic contracts should be in consideration IMO.

Don´t know about the relationship between Phoenix and Dragic but the Suns need a good PG.

I don't think he left on bad terms from what I recall but I could be mistaken. He is a fun baksetball player to watch for sure.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#12 » by tundraknight » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
vxmike wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:Trading Dragic to get rid off some toxic contracts should be in consideration IMO.

Suns, Magic, and Pelicans could all use a PG.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Post#13 » by Wagonband » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Everything backfired when the Heat went all in on Dragic and on basically the same day blood clots were discovered with Chris Bosh... In theory that team had a great starting 5 of a (young and energetic, triple double with blocks type of guy) Whiteside, Bosh, Deng (who was still a very solid 3 and D player), Wade and Dragic... But once that failed, they didn't manage to pick themselves back up.

So i guess they are going to try and be competitive again, and will battle for the 10-6th seed in the East. They can't really tank, and they can't really win a championship, but only one team of 30 wins, so if you can have some nice playoff battles it's not a lost season imo
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,358

Post#14 » by HoopsterJones » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Shouldn’t have matched Tyler Johnson offer sheet.
Shouldn’t have given Dragic and Whiteside that much money.
Should have traded the draft rights to Justise Winslow to Boston and get more draft picks out of it.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#15 » by BoardCrusher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:

Dragic IS a toxic contract. You MIGHT be able to trade him but you certainly aren't getting teams to eat other deals. A) because there isn't nearly that much value in Goran's 2/37M (and the 2nd year is a PO) but B) mostly because no team in the league has cap space that would help Miami dump players.

Seriously, best case scenario if you trade for Dragic and he has a good year. He opts out and now you are going to have to pay a 33 year old PG who is CLEARLY on the wrong side of his career to keep him.

What is THAT value?

so Dragic at 17m is a toxic contract?

the hate for Dragic on this board is ridiculess, but carry on...
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#16 » by alessandrux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 pm

In my opinion the smartest way to improve would be to trade Dragic and James Johnson, whose trade value is right now at it's peak (in my opinion it is slightly positive/neutral and is going to be negative pretty soon).

Richardsons and Olynyks contracts are pretty good, so that is something to built on.

In my opinion they have two possible paths, either treadmill for three years (and pay a hefty sum for it) or rebuilt in the next two years.
BimboColes
Senior

Post#17 » by BimboColes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Miami must be such a fun place to play I can hardly stand it!
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#18 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

BoardCrusher wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

What is THAT value?

He has a 1+1 at 18 and 19M. I don't know about toxic but there is undoubtedly significant risk without much upside. That's kind of the definition of a mediocre/poor asset.

He had his worst year in his last 8 seasons last year. He is fine but Bledsoe is available for nothing, ATL is salary dumping Schroder, etc. Why would you want an over the hill PG when there are a ton of other options available for far less?
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#19 » by OptionZero » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Pulling the trigger requires ammo

Riley left them with none

Not only are they capped out, here are their pick obligations (OUTGOING PICKS)

2021 1st to PHI

2019, 2020, 2021, 2023, 2024 2nd round picks to . . . everybody
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#20 » by BoardCrusher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:13 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
BoardCrusher wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

What is THAT value?

He has a 1+1 at 18 and 19M. I don't know about toxic but there is undoubtedly significant risk without much upside. That's kind of the definition of a mediocre/poor asset.

He had his worst year in his last 8 seasons last year. He is fine but Bledsoe is available for nothing, ATL is salary dumping Schroder, etc. Why would you want an over the hill PG when there are a ton of other options available for far less?

Ive watched him and Bledsoe play a lot back in Phoenix, and Bledsoe isnt anywhere near Dragic, same can be said about Schroder. And I will not be surprised if Bledsoe finishes his career sooner then Dragic.

Return to The General Board