Tatum the next Kobe?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Re: Tatum the next Kobe? 

Post#41 » by tidho » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Boneman2 wrote:I see shades of Danny Granger in his game.

I can see that.

Love Tatum, pre draft I thought he'd be the best player in that class. ...but he's not Kobe.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#42 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Next, Kobe?! What did I miss?
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,107

Post#43 » by JB2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 pm

That means he's a top 5-10 player of all time... which I don't think so. But, he sure as hell has the moves Kobe had.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,794

Post#44 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:Image

I like Tatum, but 87 ovr rating is kinda a joke. most players have way too high ratings, the gap between all time greats and guys like Tatum is just too small. and why lowest rated players in 2k games are in their high 60's, use 99 number scale some more. NBA modding and roster editing has been hobby of mine for more than 10 years, if I get the new game, I definitely reworking rosters for my single player campaigns.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,794

Post#45 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 pm

itrsteve wrote:Nope.. Remember at the draft he had zero upside since his game was already too polished? Pundits declared that his ceiling was hit at Duke and would go no further.

Ohhh experts.

same exact thing said about Doncic

JB2 wrote:That means he's a top 5-10 player of all time... which I don't think so. But, he sure as hell has the moves Kobe had.

No way is Kobe top 5-10, give me a break.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#46 » by howlin mad axer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Tatum isn’t as athletic as Kobe, right? He’s more of a Grant Hill before injuries ended his career.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#47 » by ajones9219 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm

8axer wrote:Tatum isn’t as athletic as Kobe, right? He’s more of a Grant Hill before injuries ended his career.

Not as athletic as prime Kobe but very very athletic nonetheless
bizil
Junior
And1: 125

Post#48 » by bizil » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Once again, he's not similar to Kobe size wise. Kobe was SG who could play PG and SF at times. Tatum is an SF and more of a swingman like Pierce. Kobe was usually the best passer on all his teams. A great total scoring skillset is the main thing Tatum has in common with Kobe right now. The numbers aren't prolific yet of course. BUT u see the tools he has in his scoring arsenal.

In Kobe's rookie year, the Lakers used him at PG, SG, and SF. I just don't seem Tatum AS OF NOW having that kind of positional versatility. His ceiling is more to me in that Pierce zone IF he can develop a very good all around game. Because the Truth was very rounded IN ADDITION to being a great scorer. If his all around game is only average at best, then he's more comparable to guys like a Granger.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#49 » by rumdiary » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm a Celtics fan and I really don't understand why Tatum gets more love than Jaylen.

rumdiary wrote:If you exclude the 5 hamstring-injury-games (during which he was minutes restricted) from this year's Playoffs Jaylen averages significantly more PPG (21.9ppg) than Tatum (18.5ppg), and most people would sight Tatum's offense as being the difference maker despite Jaylen scoring more and having better defense.

On top of that Jaylen shot 39% 3PT (40% regular season) whilst Tatum shot 32% 3PT (42% reg season), although Free Throw Shooting is where Jaylen (64%) is significantly worse than Tatum (84%)

Intangibles: I also think Jaylen comes across as a better leader, with a better mental approach, general intelligence and all round physical excellence.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Jaylen is a tier higher than Jayson, but on balance he is the player I would elect to keep.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#50 » by Roland2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm

People forget how Kobe started in the league....So far Tatum is much better.

He definitely has his own thing. I don't see a lot of Kobe in his game. He's more nimble than Pierce. The similarities that I see are more towards the Durant direction. In any case: This dude can BALL.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#51 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

bizil wrote:Once again, he's not similar to Kobe size wise. Kobe was SG who could play PG and SF at times. Tatum is an SF and more of a swingman like Pierce. Kobe was usually the best passer on all his teams. A great total scoring skillset is the main thing Tatum has in common with Kobe right now. The numbers aren't prolific yet of course. BUT u see the tools he has in his scoring arsenal.

In Kobe's rookie year, the Lakers used him at PG, SG, and SF. I just don't seem Tatum AS OF NOW having that kind of positional versatility. His ceiling is more to me in that Pierce zone IF he can develop a very good all around game. Because the Truth was very rounded IN ADDITION to being a great scorer. If his all around game is only average at best, then he's more comparable to guys like a Granger.

Tatum started games at SF and PF this year. He also served as the backup PG for a handful of games at the end of the season. He has a lot of versatility.
droopdog7
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#52 » by droopdog7 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm

mirrornick wrote:The closest player in terms of style of play, Midrange, footwork, post game, fadeaway , is DeRozan.

Derozen with a three point shot would be pretty good.
bizil
Junior
And1: 125

Post#53 » by bizil » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
bizil wrote:Once again, he's not similar to Kobe size wise. Kobe was SG who could play PG and SF at times. Tatum is an SF and more of a swingman like Pierce. Kobe was usually the best passer on all his teams. A great total scoring skillset is the main thing Tatum has in common with Kobe right now. The numbers aren't prolific yet of course. BUT u see the tools he has in his scoring arsenal.

Tatum started games at SF and PF this year. He also served as the backup PG for a handful of games at the end of the season. He has a lot of versatility.

BUT him as a PG and PF are stretches to say the least. Kobe could play PG, SG, and SF at a world class level. Tatum ONLY AVERAGED 1.6 assists last year. LMAO!! And BY PG, I mean YOU PLAY WITH a legit SG, in the backcourt. And the rest of the guys are frontcourt players. Im not talking about as point forward. AND IF Tatum played PG IT WAS BECAUSE of injury or foul trouble!!!! Because Boston had no choice. Why would he play backup PG with Rozier and Smart there?

IN the case of the Mamba, it was a strategic decision. BECAUSE Kobe is one of the best passing SG's of all time. He was usually the best passer on all of his teams. Other than Van Exel and Nash on the Lakers at various points. Kobe's passing ability was on par with many of the elite PG's in the league. BUT he was the ultimate killer and a score first phenom. So it DIDN'T make sense to play him as full time time PG. AT 6'6, he had plenty of size to play at the SG.

Simply put, Tatum is mainly a swingman type player. Kobe was versatile as a 6'6 210 player could be. Best off at the SG. BUT can be just as dominant at PG or SF. And was an ELITE enough passer to fufill the PG duties. Tatum HASN'T proved anywhere close to that type of versatility YET!

Article that says SPECIFICALLY that Tatum played some PG BECAUSE of injuries:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/03/jayson_tatum_boston_celtics_ro_14.html
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,777

Post#54 » by Collymore » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Kobe is the former Tatum.
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#55 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

droopdog7 wrote:
mirrornick wrote:The closest player in terms of style of play, Midrange, footwork, post game, fadeaway , is DeRozan.

Derozen with a three point shot would be pretty good.

He made 1 per game this season. He improved his 3pt. Not a great 3pt shooter, but not as bad as many make it seem.

jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#56 » by jonjames » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
itrsteve wrote:Nope.. Remember at the draft he had zero upside since his game was already too polished? Pundits declared that his ceiling was hit at Duke and would go no further.

Ohhh experts.

same exact thing said about Doncic

JB2 wrote:That means he's a top 5-10 player of all time... which I don't think so. But, he sure as hell has the moves Kobe had.

No way is Kobe top 5-10, give me a break.

Too high or too low? Please dont tell me you think kobe is not a top 10 player.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#57 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 pm

bizil wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

BUT him as a PG and PF are stretches to say the least. Kobe could play PG, SG, and SF at a world class level. Tatum ONLY AVERAGED 1.6 assists last year. LMAO!! And BY PG, I mean YOU PLAY WITH a legit SG, in the backcourt. And the rest of the guys are frontcourt players. Im not talking about as point forward. AND IF Tatum played PG IT WAS BECAUSE of injury or foul trouble!!!! Because Boston had no choice. Why would he play backup PG with Rozier and Smart there?

IN the case of the Mamba, it was a strategic decision. BECAUSE Kobe is one of the best passing SG's of all time. He was usually the best passer on all of his teams. Other than Van Exel and Nash on the Lakers at various points. Kobe's passing ability was on par with many of the elite PG's in the league. BUT he was the ultimate killer and a score first phenom. So it DIDN'T make sense to play him as full time time PG. AT 6'6, he had plenty of size to play at the SG.

Simply put, Tatum is mainly a swingman type player. Kobe was versatile as a 6'6 210 player could be. Best off at the SG. BUT can be just as dominant at PG or SF. And was an ELITE enough passer to fufill the PG duties. Tatum HASN'T proved anywhere close to that type of versatility YET!

Article that says SPECIFICALLY that Tatum played some PG BECAUSE of injuries:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/03/jayson_tatum_boston_celtics_ro_14.html

Did you even read what you wrote?

In Kobe's rookie year, the Lakers used him at PG, SG, and SF. I just don't seem Tatum AS OF NOW having that kind of positional versatility.

You made a comment about Kobe’s positional versatility in his rookie year and said you didn’t see Tatum as having the same. I pointed out that Tatum was the opening game starter at PF, played a lot of SF and even served as a backup PG. I honestly don’t even know where you’re disagreeing with me, but you seem full of rage and anger so I’ll walk away and let you have the last word.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#58 » by RB34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm

People need to stop with this notion that hops are the only factor when evaluating athletic ability. Tatum is a great athlete.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#59 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Maybe a Costco Kobe

( my new favorite )
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#60 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

RB34 wrote:People need to stop with this notion that hops are the only factor when evaluating athletic ability. Tatum is a great athlete.

I think it was the Bucks mod Prez during the playoffs, but he said that Tatum is a lowkey freak athlete and he was spot on. May not have an elite vertical, but his combination of length, fluidity, speed, and coordination is pretty rare.

Return to The General Board