Knicks and Wolves chatting about Jimmy

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: Knicks and Wolves chatting about Jimmy 

Post#61 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 pm

All deals start with Knox
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#62 » by Sark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:All deals start with Knox

And end there too.
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#63 » by Joe Kleazy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
JXL wrote:About 1/2 the dudes on this thread are insane. This regime will not screw up this roster for a rental when they can take him in free agency a year from now.

If they trade for him, they can offer him a lot more attractive contract (which was probably a factor in PGs decision as well).

Why is it that everyone on the boards want to quote OKC and the PG situation as to why teams should surrender depth and RISK trading for Kawhi, Jimmy, etc? That situation was back to wall, shot in the dark. OKC stood the risk of losing Russell and took advantage of Indiana’s hate for the lakers, with nobody else bidding. Following that up with the Melo trade should make that clear.

They were either gonna convince Russ to stay with those moves or lose all three the following year. Russ after losing KD had to humble himself and be a better teammate, PG ended up showing his beta traits and simpiming out to the peer pressure AND ducking the bright lights of LA, and they’re working on erasing Melo as intended. You CANNOT assume PGs decision will be the new rule, which is why teams view it as the risk it’s always been....and OKC was all in or nothing.

The Knicks are building something and aren’t risking losing a star so why risk it all in prospects when there’s rumblings of kyrie and Jimmy coming potentially? If they don’t.....continue as planned. Moving Knox, Frank or KP...who are all under contract would be as ridiculous as my lakers moving Ingram, Kuzma and hart for players they have a shot at next. Only in our case we’re a bit ahead with the Bron pressure.

Stop acting if PG stands as the reason teams should fold to a bad deal. Now I can see the logic in Toronto moving DeRozan and SOME depth for Kawhi as if all fails they take a shot and can rebuild. Toronto is not impressive as a contender as they may seem anyway and they’ll get out of DeRozans contract.

Hold your ground NYC.....or don’t!
Sark
RealGM

Post#64 » by Sark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Knicks would do Hardaway + Lee for Butler + Gibson.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#65 » by matt6715 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Lee-Knox-Ntilikina for Butler feels like a decent place to start
Sark
RealGM

Post#66 » by Sark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm

matt6715 wrote:Lee-Knox-Ntilikina for Butler feels like a decent place to start

Dial it back at bit. Lee + Baker for Butler seems more realistic.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#67 » by Oscirus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 pm

I seriously doubt the Knicks go out of their way to be in rebuild mode even going so far as to filling their staff with developmental people to give it up for a chance to win a playoff spot with Jimmy friggin Butler.

You'd be lucky to get frankie smokes or Alonzo trier from us much less our desired youngsters
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#68 » by magnumt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 pm

matt6715 wrote:Lee-Knox-Ntilikina for Butler feels like a decent place to start

:crazy:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,274

Post#69 » by mademan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 pm

You dont want to overvalue young players. At the same time, you also dont want to spend a great deal for a guy on the last year of his contract. Yes it NY and yes they'll be able to pay him more than anybody else, but you need some kind of guarantee before youre throwing in Knox (i dont think highly of Frank)
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#70 » by Kaykoose » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Why in the world are people putting Kyrie Irving into these trade talks...?
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#71 » by draftnightsuit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Sark wrote:Knicks would do Hardaway + Lee for Butler + Gibson.

This would a last resort if Minny can’t find a one year rental. But that’s the most the Knicks should offer.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#72 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 pm

For those of you saying "just wait and and sign Butler and Irving."

By my calculations, Knicks have about 18mil in cap space if they renounce everyone and stretch/waive Thomas 1mil (including Porzingis 17mil cap hold). Little less if they keep a QO or 2 and depending on where their draft pick falls.

If they stretch Noah 2019 offseason: 30mil cap available (still not max).

So to get 2 max contracts, they need to move Lee + THJ. If they tanked to top 5, they aren't moving that 1st for cap space -- enter Frank (to be replaced by Irving). Now real close to 2 max slots (if they pull off the miracle of THJ + Lee for 100% pure cap). Is Frank enough to dump THJ + Lee? Knicks fans will say yes. Most will say no. Add a future 1st and we might have 2 max plan for Knicks.

Irving + Butler + Knox + 2019 Top 5 (minus a future 1st)

Is that better than trading for Butler + Irving with ability to sign say Kawhi??

Irving + Butler + Kawhi (still holding all 1sts).
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#73 » by draftnightsuit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm

mademan wrote:You dont want to overvalue young players. At the same time, you also dont want to spend a great deal for a guy on the last year of his contract. Yes it NY and yes they'll be able to pay him more than anybody else, but you need some kind of guarantee before youre throwing in Knox (i dont think highly of Frank)

Overvaluing young players is better than overvaluing star players. Otherwise, you end up with another Carmelo trade.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#74 » by Domejandro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
Sark wrote:Knicks would do Hardaway + Lee for Butler + Gibson.

This would a last resort if Minny can’t find a one year rental. But that’s the most the Knicks should offer.

Minnesota would just keep Jimmy Butler for the season then, why would they take on that negative package? That is not reasonable in the slightest.
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,335

Post#75 » by Rubio9Guy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Pretty plugged in Minneapolis reporter.

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using RealGM mobile app
Sark
RealGM

Post#76 » by Sark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Chicago didn't even get as much value for Butler as what's being suggested, and he was healthy with 2 years left on his contract. Now he's coming off a meniscus tear, is an expiring contract, and people think Minnesota will get more than what they paid? :crazy:
I beg to differ
Veteran
And1: 4,692

Post#77 » by I beg to differ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

oh?!
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#78 » by NYKHardKnock » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Minnesota ain't getting the value they think....

Timmy + Lee + 1st (Top 10 protected) for Butler.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#79 » by Fat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

lol @ thinking were trading any of Knox/Mitchell or Ntilkina this isnt the dolan era.. isnt butler a free agent next year? if he wants to be here he can come on his own.

Knicks are building the correct way stay on track
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#80 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:Everyone in here talking about the Knicks trading anyone of value, especially Knox or KP needs to be banned from this forum.

The Knicks are not trading KP, a better player than Jimmy Butler at only 22, under team control, with far more upside for a player at the tail end of his prime.

And they certainly aren't trading any rookies or Ntilikina for a player they can just sign in free agency.

The Knicks are in no rush to acquire Butler. Honestly, I'm not sure I even want him.

KP - 22
Frank - 19
Knox - 19
Mitch - whatever

The Knicks have a core for 10 years with this group. Would I mind Jimmy signing outright as a free agent next year...? Not really. But we certainly don't need him. He wouldn't make us title contenders sans injury to a Western team. I think it's better for the next to keep building, make the playoffs in 2020, take their bumps and bruises, and peak once Golden State and Lebron are on the downside.

If Kevin Durant says "I want NYK now" next year, then obviously I'm on board, but I wouldn't stunt this rebuild for anyone.

IF we could possibly signing Kyrie AND Butler in 2019, then fine.

Good thing real gm posters don't actually get NBA jobs.

Knox AND Ntilikina for a 1 year rental of Butler?

KP for a one year rental of Butler?

Are you high?

Knicks shouldn't trade KP, but KP is obviously not a better player than Butler. He's pretty clearly worse.

If Knicks can position themselves to add Irving to Butler and KP then that is very tempting. That team can come out of the East.

I don't think it's as far apart as you think it is. KP is not only the best rim protector in the league, he was average 23/7 on good efficiency. If not in a vacuum at this current point, he's far more "valuable" as a player over the next 3-4 years.

Return to The General Board